Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: What tents is everyone using

Have a look at the One Planet "Goondies" . I have both the one and two person versions. These come in different versions (the area of mesh, and tent outer material) to handle various conditions. Most 4 season tents have too much mesh as a compromise to the warmer months, this makes them quite unpleadant in extreme conditions. Once you understand this you are in a much better position to understand/evaluate what might best suit. One thing for sure, if you want to venture above the bush line in winter Southern Alps, saving money on your tent is the last thing you want to do.
    Outdoorsbloke likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Have a look at the One Planet "Goondies" . I have both the one and two person versions. These come in different versions (the area of mesh, and tent outer material) to handle various conditions. Most 4 season tents have too much mesh as a compromise to the warmer months, this makes them quite unpleadant in extreme conditions. Once you understand this you are in a much better position to understand/evaluate what might best suit. One thing for sure, if you want to venture above the bush line in winter Southern Alps, saving money on your tent is the last thing you want to do.
    I’ve got a one planet snow goondie 2, stood up to a crazy west coast storm, that flattened a steel pole guide tent. Also have a zpacks pocket tarp for the milder weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DemocKot likes this.

I took the bushbuck horizon 8000 ultralight to Fiordland and was very happy with it. To be fair weather was pretty good only two good rains and no snow, so whilst it says 3 to 4 season id say more 3 and it would be a snug 2 person. It’s light packs down well and is at a good price point. Definitely recommend the footprint although a light tarp worked well.

Macpac Olympus, and over summer I just take the fly and my bed roll.
    The bed roll on the ground can get a bit damp so my hunting mate often puts his pack liner down as a ground sheet under his bed roll.
    Name:  2012.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  117.3 KB

The new ones come with tapes on the fly to keep the shape between the bottoms of each poles. I use string on my old one.
    Z
    ps ed to add. the rocks on the pegs were because the pegs where moving in the soft sandy pumice ground.
    fly only can get a bit drafty and obviously you would not want to go anywhere with sand-fly's or mosquitos.
    Fly only gives a lot more space as well.
    Shearer likes this.

If money is no problem either of the Kuiu tents are amazing. I went for the Storm Star as I wanted a bomb proof tent; the Macpac Olympus almost fit that category; but in another older thread some people comment that the new ones leak. I’ve never heard anyone complain about the Kuiu tents - apart from the price! If they weren’t so expensive I have one of both.
    I’ve had a Minaret, not so durable or waterproof and a MSR Hubba Hubba NX, I was worried that it would blow to bits in a storm.
    There are some other good makes of tents out there, but quite frankly you get what you pay for. :-)
    Nathan F, 199p and Outdoorsbloke like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Macpac Olympus, and over summer I just take the fly and my bed roll.
    The bed roll on the ground can get a bit damp so my hunting mate often puts his pack liner down as a ground sheet under his bed roll.
    Attachment 196084

The new ones come with tapes on the fly to keep the shape between the bottoms of each poles. I use string on my old one.
    Z
    ps ed to add. the rocks on the pegs were because the pegs where moving in the soft sandy pumice ground.
    fly only can get a bit drafty and obviously you would not want to go anywhere with sand-fly's or mosquitos.
    Fly only gives a lot more space as well.
    Thats a Fairydown in the photo not a Macpac !

Anyway I have a Fairydown like the one in the photo that the OP can borrow for a try out if he looks after it. Double skinned, Bath tub floor insect screened vents and internal insect proof door to vestibule. Heavy compared to modern stuff but if it's split between two no probs.

After using the mountain star for a while now I don't think i would ever go back to a tent where you pitch the inner first and then the fly.

Its just so much easier when the whole thing goes up as one !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Been using a Hilleberg Nallo 2 as my bombproof tent plus a cheapo Aliexpress Lanshan 2 when the weather is good. Love both of them. Hilleberg quality is amazing but pricey!

Using a Nemo Hornet 2p, was around $650-700, weighs 1.2kg with a 6 moons designs polycro footprint (cheap plastic to stop the tent bottom wearing out too fast).

Easy as to setup, I am 6ft and there is enough space. Opens on both sides and decent room in the vestibule to hide gear etc.

Doesn't feel super strong/robust as its a lighter weight piece of gear buts it has been good so far (used in heavy rain + decent windy conditions).

Name:  317701_19930_L.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  Footprint_Large_Poly.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  23.7 KB

Hi there, You cant go past a Hilleberg. They are brilliant. They cost a bit more than an MSR but they are bulletproof. Ours has done 2 trips to Fiordland as well as other ventures and we have stayed dry as and been in some pretty hardcore weather. Case and point, 2 parties in blocks either side of us for this years ballot had to get flown out because of inadeqaute gear. Check Out MotomaxNZ who are the distributors here.

Best tent I've ever owned and properly tested is from a local outfit, Intents Outdoors. The 'Tracker 2'. It goes up in minutes, has a really smart 'Y' snap-lock alu design and is wind sturdy as anything. You can sit up in it, which for me was a gamechanger. It's technically a 2P tent, which I like from the perspective I can hunt with it and have my bow and backpack all inside with me and still have plenty of room, but when on a hike with my better half we can use it. Packs down super small, like a 1P.

https://www.intentsoutdoors.co.nz/co...silnylon-1-7kg

300 bucks. Really stoked with the thing. A steal at 2x the price.

Gkp
    I have thrashed an msr for years and it's been good.
    I purchased a Chinese copy off a forum member a few years back and it's been Stella!
    The only down side I can see is that the stuff sack is not as good and it may weigh 1 or 200 grams more than the real deal.
    https://m.alibaba.com/product/605870...ord%3Dmsr-tent
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Thats a Fairydown in the photo not a Macpac !

Anyway I have a Fairydown like the one in the photo that the OP can borrow for a try out if he looks after it. Double skinned, Bath tub floor insect screened vents and internal insect proof door to vestibule. Heavy compared to modern stuff but if it's split between two no probs.

True but they are essentially the same tent, just rebranded when macpac took over. The macpac version has slightly less of a taper at the foot end and is 2-300gr lighter.
    Son has macpac version.
    Z
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    After using the mountain star for a while now I don't think i would ever go back to a tent where you pitch the inner first and then the fly.

Its just so much easier when the whole thing goes up as one !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Had a google....are these over 900 kiwi peso or can they be had cheaper from somewhere ?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

MacPac Plateau, cant fault it, bombproof.
    Weighs around 4kg so not the lightest 4 season tent. Scored it off trademe for $200. Absolute bargain.
    Name:  tent.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  4.09 MB
    tikka, Shearer, Moa Hunter and 5 others like this.