Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Zpack tents and other dyneema tents???

Zpack tents and other dyneema tents???

So, heading into fiordland for the ballot and wanting to reduce weight. Looking at he Dyneema type tents.
    Wondering if anyone has any real world experience with them.
    Half tye onlinereviews are written by people hike through hikes in the USA where the weather is. Little more stable.

Leta hear some nz experience..
    Cheers

Fiordland is not really the kind of place you want to be relying on a lightweight shelter such as the Zpacks offerings
    robhughes-games likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by robhughes-games View Post
    So, heading into fiordland for the ballot and wanting to reduce weight. Looking at he Dyneema type tents.
    Wondering if anyone has any real world experience with them.
    Half tye onlinereviews are written by people hike through hikes in the USA where the weather is. Little more stable.

Leta hear some nz experience..
    Cheers
    I love lightweight shit and push the limits a bit hunting with a tarp and bivvy pretty much solely except in winter but from what I have gathered I agree with Ryan. Fiordland is not the place for them especially as most really light options don't have mesh and ares single wall leading to condensation issues which are a major if you get stuck in the tent all week which is likely.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    I love lightweight shit and push the limits a bit hunting with a tarp and bivvy pretty much solely except in winter but from what I have gathered I agree with Ryan. Fiordland is not the place for them especially as most really light options don't have mesh and ares single wall leading to condensation issues which are a major if you get stuck in the tent all week which is likely.
    Actually to be fair bringinh one to use in the tops but accepting if the weather hits you are going to have to drop back to a more substantial base camp in a valley might work out but even then.
    robhughes-games likes this.

I'm going to go against what other have said. I have looked into buying a Dymeema tent but got put off by a couple of things but what I did learn is Dyneema is a bloody tough material, a lot stronger than your average tent material. Some of those z pack tents are a bit lacking in material as a second layer though and use mesh to keep the weight and price down. If you could find a tent made of of Dyneema that is double walled then this would be a goer in Fiordland. One of the issues that turned me off is that when it rains, apparently its like living in a big bass drum.

Quote Originally Posted by possum_shooter View Post
    I'm going to go against what other have said. I have looked into buying a Dymeema tent but got put off by a couple of things but what I did learn is Dyneema is a bloody tough material, a lot stronger than your average tent material. Some of those z pack tents are a bit lacking in material as a second layer though and use mesh to keep the weight and price down. If you could find a tent made of of Dyneema that is double walled then this would be a goer in Fiordland. One of the issues that turned me off is that when it rains, apparently its like living in a big bass drum.
    People pay for that white noise shit mate. In fairness those people also salivate over kale
    TimC likes this.

There's no problems with the material itself the problem being that most of those tents are not designed to handle extended periods of wet weather and heavy winds etc. I know for the sake of even half a kg more I'd be looking at something as robust as possible with a decent bathtub floor area and good wind loading.
    We camped out in the Bush in wapiti River a couple years back thinking that we would be afforded some kind of shelter from a storm that bought heavy rain and wind for 48hours and even with decent tents it wasn't the most fun experience, there were branches falling from trees etc which made us nervous and almost want to avoid "sheltered" areas for the rest of the trip.
    You need to cover all your bases in an area like that not just "make do" it's a wild place and it's chewed up and spat out its fair share of the ill prepared
    Terminator, dannyb and Ned like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Yeh I have not problems with the material. I have issues with the design and they aren't that much lighter when they are double walled. For example look at the MLD Duomid pyramid style. The do extremely well in wind etc but by the time they are double walled they weigh quite a bit more than the likes of the duplex your probably looking at. Also by adding a second wall you end up with less space. Not that they won't work but cost is very high by the time you get setup in one that does. I'm thinking about the MLD but definitely wouldn't buy it for fiordland specifically as I'd have to test the shit out of it first. Also when it tears it tears. Id be stoked though if you do go down this route and document how it went for you for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by robhughes-games View Post
    Doesn't look like a great design for the wind you might experience in Fiordland.

Just back from Stewart Island with 10 days use of my Z-Packs Duplex and freestanding kit. Like all similar tents works best with a level surface. Floor is a solid tub with fabric sides which meant I stay dry and wasn't eaten by sandflies. Had some condensation because I had the sides too close to the ground, fixed by creating the gap that helps ensure a flow of air. Probably a bit small for that long but it worked well and took a pounding with some wind and rain.
    Last edited by Tikka7mm08; 11-02-2021 at 04:18 PM.

I tried staying in the fiordland tops with a light set up. had a huntech bivvy bag and a macpack tent outer . weather came in after dark and i got wet , was a long night shivering till dawn so i could bail out of there. single layer tent will get wet then every gust will shake the water off onto you, not ideal.
    Terminator and Stocky like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Just back from Stewart Island with 10 days use of my Z-Packs Duplex and freestanding kit. Like all similar tents works best with a level surface. Floor is a solid tub with fabric sides which meant I stay dry and wasn't eaten by sandflies. Had some condensation because I had the sides too close to the ground, fixed by creating the gap that helps ensure a flow of air. Probably a bit small for that long but it worked well and took a pounding with some wind and rain.
    Did it sustain any damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Just wear and tear.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk