Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Vehicle security while in the bush.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Tasman bay NZ
    Posts
    1,214

    Vehicle security while in the bush.

    Well I see that Hilux's are right up the top of the list for stolen vehicle's in NZ....

    I have one, so that got me thinking about added security...especially when parked at track heads/roadside while hunting.

    What are people using? Steering wheel lock?

    Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

    Cheers

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    MSL
    MSL is offline
    Member MSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    4,656
    Insurance


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NZ32, BRADS, res and 5 others like this.

  3. #3
    Resident Curmudgeon Kiwi Sapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wanganui without an "H".
    Posts
    2,521
    Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Well I see that Hilux's are right up the top of the list for stolen vehicle's in NZ....What are people using? Steering wheel lock?
    Either ....steering wheel removal. ?
    kukuwai likes this.
    “There was a moment's suspense while Conscience and Sheer Wickedness fought the matter out inside him, and then Conscience, which had started on the encounter without enthusiasm, being obviously flabby and out of condition, threw up the sponge.”

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Tasman bay NZ
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Insurance
    Pretty sure having insurance doesn't make your vehicle any less likely to be stolen and I happen to quite like my truck.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    steering wheel removal. ?
    Now that's a unique idea



    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Member Shearer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tasman
    Posts
    4,170
    Came out from a hunt in the Ahimanawas one weekend and found a guy sitting on the tail gate of his Hilux....which was sitting on the ground with no wheels
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

  6. #6
    I hunt, therefore I am.
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tai Tokerau
    Posts
    4,202
    If someone wants it bad enough they'll take it. The only answer for that is sniper overwatch, flamethrowers, or if you're boring...theft insurance.

    Most petty crimes are opportunistic. Maybe it was here? but there was an article saying to leave glovebox, console etc open and devoid of valuables. Leaving the keys tucked in the bumper is about as safe as the "key hider rocks" beside the front door.

    Security=time. There is no system that can't be broken. Good security only increases the difficulty for the shitheels, in the hopes they'll move to easier targets.
    In populated areas noise (alarms) and dogs are a good deterrent. In the bush that means you probably lose your dog as well.

    If you were particularly concerned you could take a wheel off and 4 nuts off every other wheel, disable the fuel system...
    Otherwise have a sneaky switch on the ignition circuit, GPS tracker (seperate from main battery supply) and an ostritch in the back seat. Ocelots on standby.
    chainsaw, kukuwai, 40mm and 1 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Tasman bay NZ
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Came out from a hunt in the Ahimanawas one weekend and found a guy sitting on the tail gate of his Hilux....which was sitting on the ground with no wheels
    I have passed a couple of cars exactly like that just recently. Both parked on the roadside. Some people know no limits, pricks !!

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Rocks in his head Joe_90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    If someone wants it bad enough they'll take it. The only answer for that is sniper overwatch, flamethrowers, or if you're boring...theft insurance.

    Most petty crimes are opportunistic. Maybe it was here? but there was an article saying to leave glovebox, console etc open and devoid of valuables. Leaving the keys tucked in the bumper is about as safe as the "key hider rocks" beside the front door.

    Security=time. There is no system that can't be broken. Good security only increases the difficulty for the shitheels, in the hopes they'll move to easier targets.
    In populated areas noise (alarms) and dogs are a good deterrent. In the bush that means you probably lose your dog as well.

    If you were particularly concerned you could take a wheel off and 4 nuts off every other wheel, disable the fuel system...
    Otherwise have a sneaky switch on the ignition circuit, GPS tracker (seperate from main battery supply) and an ostritch in the back seat. Ocelots on standby.
    A bird with long legs is a theft deterrent now?
    If you can't beat them, beat them.
    They will be expecting you to join them, so you'll have the element of surprise.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    I hunt, therefore I am.
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tai Tokerau
    Posts
    4,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    A bird with long legs is a theft deterrent now?
    In the back seat, no less...

    And just like your highschool date, it's not so much the physical characteristics, but the personality, that will tear you to shreds and peck over your disemboweled corpse.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

  11. #11
    I hunt, therefore I am.
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tai Tokerau
    Posts
    4,202
    Quote Originally Posted by faregame View Post
    thats just a big KFC bird
    Sweet mate. You and an ostritch in a confined space. I'll bring the video camera, and 11 herbs and spices.
    257weatherby and Micky Duck like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

  12. #12
    MSL
    MSL is offline
    Member MSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    4,656
    Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Pretty sure having insurance doesn't make your vehicle any less likely to be stolen and I happen to quite like my truck.



    Now that's a unique idea



    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I also like my vehicle, but I am realistic. There is nothing that will stop a determined scumbag from stealing or vandalising an unoccupied vehicle in an isolated area.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rugerman, BRADS and mimms2 like this.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    617
    Being dropped off and picked up is the only real fail safe solution if possible.
    caberslash likes this.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    canterbury
    Posts
    1,512
    GPS, then go cut some fingers off
    chainsaw, Moa Hunter, Dago and 1 others like this.

  15. #15
    308
    308 is offline
    Member 308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wgtn
    Posts
    2,767
    Kill switch for a start

    Locking mag nuts, insurance, taking a cheap old dunger in instead
    kukuwai and caberslash like this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Rod racks for a vehicle
    By Strummer in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2020, 09:26 PM
  2. Bush pig/bush rifle accuracy question
    By Cody.a in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-07-2016, 10:16 PM
  3. Your next off road vehicle?
    By Cyclops in forum Outdoor Transport
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-05-2015, 05:19 PM
  4. Advice Please on vehicle...
    By EeeBees in forum Outdoor Transport
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19-05-2013, 07:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!