Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: What tents is everyone using

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Had a google....are these over 900 kiwi peso or can they be had cheaper from somewhere ?
    Jeepers they have gone up then.

I am no expert on kuiu gear as only have the tent but since buying it I get emails from them all the time with % off this or that. I'll let you know if i see tents pop up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Kuiu for me. It's been thrashed for what must be at least 6 years. One of the best bits of kit I have, main benefit being the exo pole structure and ease of setting up etc, plus not ridiculously small.
    Matt2308, kukuwai and stagstalker like this.

MSR for me. Have had years of faultless service. Buy once cry once.
    jpurdon likes this.

I’ve been using a Fjällräven abisko, not cheap but built like a heliberg, tunnel tent, 3 person, 4 season, 2.5kg, these guys tents don’t have the nasty fire retardants and toxic dwr in them. Well worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by ando2506 View Post
    MacPac Plateau, cant fault it, bombproof.
    Weighs around 4kg so not the lightest 4 season tent. Scored it off trademe for $200. Absolute bargain.
    Attachment 196149
    I'd take it even for 250! Been looking for one of these
    ando2506 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirau View Post
    I’ve been using a Fjällräven abisko, not cheap but built like a heliberg, tunnel tent, 3 person, 4 season, 2.5kg, these guys tents don’t have the nasty fire retardants and toxic dwr in them. Well worth a look.
    Just wondering where you get one of these from? they look good!

http://varuste.net Is where I got mine, 525 euro by memory on the Black Friday sale, arrived to my door in a week.

MAC
    Best tent for me 2-5 day hunts , been all over had weeks rain in haast - intents outdoors- hopper 2, $400 2kg

Gone but not forgotten
    This thread makes me feel so inadequate - I only have a Torpedo7 Mamaku
    I don't do any big mission though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    This thread makes me feel so inadequate - I only have a Torpedo7 Mamaku
    I don't do any big mission though.
    It's probably just as good a tent as any . I had a msr that I looked after super well always brushed everything out of it everytime I packed it up dried it out properly before storing loose . On spare bed . No sunlight on it etc . Just the best care I could give it and it failed after 5 6 years . My friends 200 dollar zempire tent has out lasted it by far . Mine all the seams have let go flaked off and the fly and floor material has gone all sticky like the polyurethane has come out of it . Not ideal I think I'll be sticking to the cheaper tents from now on .

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    turtle likes this.

I only got a GI raincoat, can be used as small tent, sunroof or something else.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

I have been using a Hilleberg Soulo for backpack trips the last few years, bomber construction. Personally I’d rather carry the extra weight of a 1 man tent v splitting a (likely 3 man) larger tent with a hunting buddy.

I also have a Macpac Olympus which I bought from a workmate for peanuts, a bit bulky/heavy for one so gets used for car camping & fly in trips. Seems good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuiu storm star. Solid tent, enough space for 2 people and their gear under vestibules. Had a year, sis far so good. Putting a lot of trust in the zips is my only concern. Doesn’t flap around in the wind so makes for a better sleep for me.

My nature hike is a doozy..yea cheap price same as on Ali express but the two person one. I grabbed in Vietnam on holiday from a actual legit outdoors store. Works a treat and have used many times in frosts up in the tussock etc. only down side is the pack drawcord ripped but a new case sorted that and it’s mint.

I used to use my trusty Macpac Olympus for everything but because it's a bit heavy it pretty much only gets used for fly-in or drive in trips these days. (A pack of marauding Kea shredded the fly a couple of weeks ago up the Whataroa so I'm in the market for a new fly).

Name:  IMG_5192.jpeg
Views: 823
Size:  5.42 MB
    Name:  IMG_1456.jpeg
Views: 847
Size:  3.28 MB

My go-to tent for hunting at the moment is the MSR Access 2 - nice and warm and pretty light (around 1.8kg if I recall correctly). I also have an MSR Hubba Hubba for the summer months but because most of my hunting is above the bushline when it can get pretty cold even in summer, the Hubba Hubba it doesn't seem to get a lot of use these days.

Name:  IMG_5130.jpeg
Views: 850
Size:  3.72 MB
    Last edited by CandiedGold; 22-05-2022 at 08:39 PM.
    veitnamcam, tikka and RV1 like this.