Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Whataroa kea

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Nature should not be controlled with poisons.
    True..and poisons should not be handled by idiots.
    Boaraxa likes this.

Could it just be that ZIP and DOC actually know what they are doing and what the risks are, and will do all they can to ensure that the best environmental outcome will be achieved?

Its pretty easy to type reactionary comments on here and hope for the worst. Its more difficult to be objective and hope for the best.
    gimp, A330driver and turtle like this.

It’s a gamble. “Best environmental outcome” is right up there with “Net benefit”: unmeasurable of course.
    The tagged kea ARE measurable though so fingers crossed they are ok - and all the other untagged uncounted ones.
    I’m sure ZIP and DOC very much don’t want to kill kea, Equally with poison drops we know they sometimes do, they average between 12-13% per drop from previous drops where they actually tagged, mostly they don’t count, sometimes they kill en masse ( and blame human interaction, never mind prefeeding them or shooting animals for them)
    I’ve not seen a single post hoping for the worst, this just looks shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by ethos View Post
    It’s a gamble. “Best environmental outcome” is right up there with “Net benefit”: unmeasurable of course.
    The tagged kea ARE measurable though so fingers crossed they are ok - and all the other untagged uncounted ones.
    I’m sure ZIP and DOC very much don’t want to kill kea, Equally with poison drops we know they sometimes do, they average between 12-13% per drop from previous drops where they actually tagged, mostly they don’t count, sometimes they kill en masse ( and blame human interaction, never mind prefeeding them or shooting animals for them)
    I’ve not seen a single post hoping for the worst, this just looks shabby.
    I agree its shabby theme, but its a theme that exists none the less. I agree with the rest of your post although I'm not aware of Kea being killed en masse and DOC blaming human interaction?

As far as en masse : 7 of the 9 tagged birds died of 1080 at North Okarito 2011 during that study.
    The blaming human interaction was the Fox Franz kea deaths in 2008 I think or maybe Otira deaths 2013 some press release or other, it sounded like bullshit anyway.
    This article was as close to the truth as it is possible to find, its DoCs researchers internal communication saying kea benefit is “uncertain” from poison, read the whole thing, it’s quite different from the PR that gets officially released https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...ions-uncertain

“They said it was not advisable to expose nationally critical or endangered birds to aerial 1080 baiting unless evidence showed the birds did not consume non-toxic baits.”

So no, DoC clearly don’t know what they are doing when they are not taking their own advice
    Roll the dice.
    Boaraxa and Moa Hunter like this.

Interesting. Well, they are taking their own advice in so much as they are using a couple different mitigation methods that to my knowledge were not considered in 2016. (baiting and pre-feeding repellent). I'm happy to sit on my hands and wait and see what the outcome of this ZIP operation is. I expect it will be something of a watershed in one way or another. But I will willingly put my hands up if it goes pear shape.
    outdoorlad and A330driver like this.

We won’t hold you personally responsible Tahr
    Let’s hope no deaths and we can all be happy- problem being that no deaths this time doesn’t mean the same next time it’s such a bodged unscientific gamble.
    57jl likes this.

I would like to see bycatch research done by an independent body, not those that have a vested interest in covering their ass to continue to push their agenda. I don't believe a word that anyone from either of those organisations say. Fingers crossed for a good outcome but as @ethos has pointed out it's just a gamble really and can and will go one way or the other, if its a success there's going to be some serious tennis elbow going on from all the patting themselves on the back and we wont hear the end of it as they use it as propaganda for the poison machine, if its a complete fuck up we MIGHT be lucky enough to hear about it, we might get fed some bullshit and told it was a success anyhow, who knows, the only thing that is known, and proven, is that nothing is beyond a lot of those in the DOC organisation
    doinit likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

yip shooting as a means of control doesnt have a 100% sucess rate either as far as non target species goes...any one for a greeny feathered pukeko stew???
    fingers crossed that somehow this works without killing the kea....... what would be the logistical probability of prefedding them to get them into localised area then capturing them in cage traps or mist nets and keeping them contained for say 3 weeks untill drop has been and finished...then been washed out...ok make that 3 months..then releasing them again????

I don't know what your worried about its called by catch. Who is going to be concerned with the death of a few Kea if they can kill kiwis and nothing is done about it. The bottom line is DOC is a law unto it self and they are answerable to no one.
    doinit, Maca49 and Quest like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelpop View Post
    I don't know what your worried about its called by catch. Who is going to be concerned with the death of a few Kea if they can kill kiwis and nothing is done about it. The bottom line is DOC is a law unto it self and they are answerable to no one.
    Nobody is worried about "a few kea" they're worried about a major decline in an already fragile population. As for your other comment, Kea and kiwi have existed since Adam was a boy (probably much longer actually..) so I doubt that Kea killing kiwi is a major concern
    Micky Duck likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I would like to see bycatch research done by an independent body, not those that have a vested interest in covering their ass to continue to push their agenda. I don't believe a word that anyone from either of those organisations say. Fingers crossed for a good outcome but as @ethos has pointed out it's just a gamble really and can and will go one way or the other, if its a success there's going to be some serious tennis elbow going on from all the patting themselves on the back and we wont hear the end of it as they use it as propaganda for the poison machine, if its a complete fuck up we MIGHT be lucky enough to hear about it, we might get fed some bullshit and told it was a success anyhow, who knows, the only thing that is known, and proven, is that nothing is beyond a lot of those in the DOC organisation
    Totally agree with what you say, they have long lost any respect from many. Only those that truly believe in what they do etc hold any respect and will
    somehow defend them to the bitter end,they are yet to wake up.

This one got shot in the head by a net gun.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/105...icated-minders
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Here you are Tahr the bollocks about human contact/1080:
    Kemp on kea deaths 2008- 2015 “ The data strongly indicates that kea living in the mountains surrounding populated or high visitor areas are at higher risk of 1080 poisoning due to greater exposure to human activity and food.”
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=11749165
    So you see it’s our fault DoC are poisoning the kea. All that human contact eh, so let’s give them more human interference and shoot some animals to feed them, drop pre feed baits and then 1080 poison, as specifically recommended against by their own scientists (quote in my post above about not dropping poison if endangered birds eat pre feed, from their lead kea scientists)

I believe the reason given for kea deaths at North Okarito was that the bush was very open or some such complete bullshit.

Kea are naturally inquisitive, they play with and eat random stuff, they scavenge and eat organs from dead animals, unfortunately that makes them prone to poisoning, primary and secondary.
    That won’t stop DoC PR very obviously trying to fit the science to their narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    This one got shot in the head by a net gun.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/105...icated-minders
    Was surprised that guy made it. Maximum respect to the Queenstown vet who stabilised the patient and is the unsung hero in that story IMO.