Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Whats the best hunting gps?😀

I downloaded the $5 topo gps app purely as a plan be & was surprised where it doesn't work like in the hokies even in some clearings its only got around %7

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Having spent around 3 million dollars on smart phones(plus or minus) in the last few years I would rely on a smart phone as a navigation device about as much as I would rely on a 3 month old human not to shit its nappy on a 12 hour drive.

They are FAR to fragile and unreliable IMO.

I have a 62s that does the job....Actually the etrex h before did the job fine too.
    Often I will take my two smartphones but only if its not going to be wet and there may be service(one on each provider) for txt updates of weather,comming out early,river up staying another day etc but never for nav.
    Same, my smartphone stays in my pack in flight mode but gps on an tracking. (Plan B)
    I use my Garmin (Alpha) to see where the dog is and where my buddy may be assuming he also has the same unit. Garmin is tougher than my phone.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    I downloaded the $5 topo gps app purely as a plan be & was surprised where it doesn't work like in the hokies even in some clearings its only got around %7
    Viewranger is a good App or if you have Garmin Maps from "somewhere" then OruxMaps, both will work without an internet connection
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    The dedicated single function GPS unit has quite a limited role actually.

My two old samsung phone both have equally good GPS fix and track as my Garmin Oregon 550.
    Camera is also much better. And it has my ballistics app on it.
    Touch useability and screen colour are much better on the phones (due to different screen technology). The Garmin can be used in bright sunlight without backlight.

Screeen use is what drains the battery so both phone and GPS units last a long time if you don't use them !

Advantages of dedicated GPS Unit:
    Rugged. can be used in yor hand while walking. Using a GPS saves a lot of effort in walking and makes your hunting more efficient.
    Changeable chargeable batteries (but not the same as my headlamp or UHFCB)
    Good software for tracking, waypointing, archiving on laptop. I'm not sure if there is similar available for phones. I use New Zealand Maps (Android) and although map quality is excellent (download at home on wi fi or 4G but get it at the "level" ie resolution you will need in the field) the tracking, marking and transfer to laptop are all very rudimentary. That ought to be solvable but I haven't seen it yet.

Phone could in principle be charged from powerbank, vehicle etc more easily than AA batteries perhaps.

In reality most people can't afford $600 for a new GPS using (or shouldn't).
    I know most people do carry them but few use them well and its far from a essential piece of kit.
    An ordinary smartphhone can do 90% of what my garmin can.

My strong advice is to put off buying a GPS.
    Use paper maps and compass first.
    Use a phone app and work on mastering it.

GPS would be way down the list of hunting gizmos for purchase:
    get a better scope
    good binoculars
    good headlamp
    better lighter pack
    Top notch parka
    new unfaded blaze clothes
    good tent
    more ammo

Then think about a GPS if you hunting in the bush or if in open country get a rangefinder first.
    Wow Bagheera now that is a prittey slick review cheers

Thanks for the offer but in the uk

My big question for the phone users is, does it give you an accurate position when in thick shit, flat thick shit!! Like real thick shit, so thick you don't even walk on the ground for metres at a time

Typical Gibo...always in the shit
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Typical Gibo...always in the shit
    Everywhere I go mate, I have to go through the absolute worst to find the goods
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    My big question for the phone users is, does it give you an accurate position when in thick shit, flat thick shit!! Like real thick shit, so thick you don't even walk on the ground for metres at a time
    Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum, Pointer and Gibo like this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Yeah man, almost instantly too
    Pointer and Gibo like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Just downloaded the $6 topo NI one, will compare with the 850 this weekend....bring on the smelly redskins!!
    Petros_mk and SlowElliot like this.

I use an app called iHike GPS. Downloaded all the topo maps for the areas I hunt and it switches to them automatically when you are in the area. Location is locked on almost instantly, unlike other GPS's I have owned. Keep it in a clear waterproof pouch with a decent case and protective tempered glass screen cover. And also carry a powerbank that gives at least 3 full charges.
    In fiordland I used a cheap solar charger instead of the powerbank and it lasted the whole 10 days, even with listening to a bit of music while stuck in the tent for 48 hours.
    I only really use the GPS for marking good spots and lookouts and checking it to see how far away I am from a track or other destination.
    7mmsaum, gadgetman and JoshC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 8pt Sika View Post
    I use an app called iHike GPS. Downloaded all the topo maps for the areas I hunt and it switches to them automatically when you are in the area. Location is locked on almost instantly, unlike other GPS's I have owned. Keep it in a clear waterproof pouch with a decent case and protective tempered glass screen cover. And also carry a powerbank that gives at least 3 full charges.
    In fiordland I used a cheap solar charger instead of the powerbank and it lasted the whole 10 days, even with listening to a bit of music while stuck in the tent for 48 hours.
    I only really use the GPS for marking good spots and lookouts and checking it to see how far away I am from a track or other destination.
    Ihike is what I use too. Have maptoaster as well.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    My phone is a waterproof Sony and it gets a GPS fix anywhere in our house with a tin roof and a few layers of insulation. It uses the Ruscky satellites too.

I'm married too so I'm always in the shit.
    i41do2 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

What phones are you guys running?
    I find touch screens dont work when wet/cracked/in a cover/wearing gloves/they just want to be a c(*&.

Maybe I just need a new trade that isnt so hard on Phones.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.