Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: when is a goats head worth keeping?

What kind of mount?

Pretty much skull and horns is all id be after

Boil it. Think its called euro mount? Google would have a step by step or someone here

Take all the skin and as much meat of now then boil it slowly but be careful not to submerge horns as they will cook on and you may never get them off.
    Add a bit of dishwashing liquid when boiling

Then pull the horns of and clean them up to if you want

You want to get some peroxide to make the skull white. I use something cslled baquashock that you get from farmlands etc and dilute it as its 30% peroxide
    Last edited by PerazziSC3; 08-09-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Attachment 14134
    this fulla didn't measure but he was a good looking bugger!!.I named him DJANGO!!
    The "D" is Silent

The one I got I buried the skull in the compost heap for about 3 months with the horns poking out so they wouldn't rot. After that I just left it outside for the bugs to finish cleaning it up and the sun to bleach it. Lazy mans option, seemed to work.

Just heard that a farmer from Norsewood went down their drive this morning to shift their goat and all that was left was the bloody head.
    Theres some fkun aresholes out there
    Carbine and Toby like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

ive got plenty of trophys my 1st trophy is only something like 20 but it was my 1st goat and with a open sight 222. ive got a huge range of them now but try not take any under 32. biggest is 36. with cleaning it up I suggest skinning the head and remove as much meat as you can then boil it for ages (open all windows because it STINKS) then scape the meat of (should just fall off) then sit it in a bucket of bleach over night then let it dry for a couple of days. once that is done carefully get a knife up under the casing of the horns and lift it of the bone. the casings should come of after a bit of mucking around. then put them up high to dry for a week or 2. this is what I do for my wall hangers.

Name:  2010-09-23 001 048.JPG
Views: 1854
Size:  335.9 KB heres my 36
    Attached Images Attached Images  

[QUOTE=Neckshot;159125]bloody oats mate!!!!!....... if you like it then put it up in your shed and post a pic on here for us to see. In NZ the record is 42.9" and so 30" is a good start to your trophy goat head collection.[/QUOT

New Zealand record must be well over 42.9'' this old stinker is 44'' and I have another in my shop that was 47'' and has shrunk to 45 after 8 years
    Name:  P1010295.jpg
Views: 3394
Size:  988.6 KBName:  P1010296.jpg
Views: 2891
Size:  990.2 KB
    Dundee, Munsey, GravelBen and 5 others like this.

Banned
    [QUOTE=1 DEER 1;159403]
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    bloody oats mate!!!!!....... if you like it then put it up in your shed and post a pic on here for us to see. In NZ the record is 42.9" and so 30" is a good start to your trophy goat head collection.[/QUOT

New Zealand record must be well over 42.9'' this old stinker is 44'' and I have another in my shop that was 47'' and has shrunk to 45 after 8 years
    Attachment 14165Attachment 14166
    yea must be 49.2,,dyslexia or sumfing.

would like to know what the record is if any one knows thanks

136DS i think?

DONT BOIL THE HEAD! the horns will cook onto the cores and they will never come off.

Weve had this on here before, just cut off as much of the flesh as you can, make up a little hook to pull the brain out from the skull cut out the eyes etc and hang it in a tree for a month,the more fleash you remove the less the stink.
    The cores will rot and the horns will slide off,once that happens THEN you can boil the head, scrape and clean to your sick of it,then its time for hydrogen peroxide.
    Brush it all over and leave in the sun and repeat process until desired whiteness is achived.
    Once all done you can slide the horns back on cores and I put a small brown self tapper in the back so they dont come off.

I suggest if you require more advise contact a taxidermist.

RUNAS

I have boiled them and the horns have come off... the more curl they have the harder it is for them to come off tho... just got to be carefull not to boil the bases or else they will stay on for ever.

Both methods work and the end result is the same. If you do decide to leave it to rot in a tree or whatever make sure you dont hang it by the horns as when they do decide to give the skull will fall to the ground and most likely be eaten or buried by a dog. It happened to my mates 9 3/4 cham, he just had a couple of horns left hanging and skull no where to be seen.

Also should have mentioned that once you boil, if you have access to a water blaster use it to clean the skull up, by far the easiest and most effective method
    dannyb likes this.