Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: when is a goats head worth keeping?

That's why I kept the 29 inch one I shot in Whareino Forest way back in the early 70's, it was a good stalk and my old mate "Top of the South" he was taking pictures with an old instamatic camera right up to when I shot him. It has real nice curls too which helps with the score. Nowadays I think it is harder to shoot a big billy than a decent Red Stag.
    dannyb and sometimes1 like this.

LBD
    All the time... waste not want not...

Name:  soup.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  47.4 KBhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goats_Head_Soup

A Benneydale special

1st one not quite 33”

2nd a local one,just a 26”....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mooseman and dannyb like this.

57JL
    no bad

I shot a old Billy on Waitangi day with a 32 inch spread from tip to tip. He was a very old boy with not much meat on him (muscle condition was going backwards), and the thing that surprised me the most was the lack of dirty old billy smell. His coat was in beautiful condition and was thinking maybe he was past looking for nannies to root so didn't bother pissing and ejaculating over himself anymore???
    tiroatedson likes this.

I got one in the rimutakas, just over 32". Went back to the same spot a couple of weeks later and pigs have dragged the body off and eaten him.

He will only just fit above the stairs. Just need a nice mount for him now.

Dogs eaten what meat i took from him. He stunk and was with a nanny. She gave me an earful from about 20 yards away while I was dealing with the head. She had the good sense to do one before I'd finished otherwise she'd have been turned into spicy patties.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Mooseman, dannyb and paremata like this.

Now that's impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Now that's impressive!
    He was about 100yards down a hill from a service road track. I would expect the older ones to be a bit deeper into the bush.

Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aetchell View Post
    I got one in the rimutakas, just over 32". Went back to the same spot a couple of weeks later and pigs have dragged the body off and eaten him.

He will only just fit above the stairs. Just need a nice mount for him now.

Dogs eaten what meat i took from him. He stunk and was with a nanny. She gave me an earful from about 20 yards away while I was dealing with the head. She had the good sense to do one before I'd finished otherwise she'd have been turned into spicy patties.

Hey Ash still got one offset mount if you want it.
    Are you busy on Sunday? Wan't to kill a pig, and there are a few goats floating around the back too again. @aetchell
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Boar Freak View Post
    Hey Ash still got one offset mount if you want it.
    Are you busy on Sunday? Wan't to kill a pig, and there are a few goats floating around the back too again. @aetchell
    pm'd you

I've posted these two on here before, but... for the record... again. The first one is on the wall in the shed at the hunting block, the second one is here in the shed at home. I forget how wide they are, and if I gave a figure it would probably be different to what I said before and one of you buggers would point that out! (I think the first one was 33" and the second one I've just gone and measured again... 29").

I totally agree with some of the comments about how hard to find these bigger billy heads are. If you're up for a challenge, a great area for big billies is the margins of the Wanganui National Park, all sides. If you can get access to some of those farms, and spend some time out in the field, you'll eventually spot some big old boys on the bush edges, usually alone... they are hard to get at (which is why they are so big of course).

There's an enormous pure white billy I've seen twice in my primary hunting grounds that has alluded me due to a finely developed sense of danger. He's the only white one I've seen in that area, and I've seen thousands and shot many hundreds of them, his colouring is very unusual compared to the dominant genetics. I am determined to get him, I've had a second opinion on his head (also only through long range glassing) and we both agree he'll be in the mid-40s minimum, potentially pushing high-40s. And thick. I'd be stoked to post that head on here, gonna have to work for it though.

Name:  20180419_132512.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  479.9 KB

Name:  20181029_180720.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  3.82 MB
    Just...say...the...word

Nice bullies Flyblown, be nice to see that big one.

Here is mine. I've put the horns on another head for now as the head the large horns are from is currently under the deck getting eaten by bacteria and worms.

ebf, Mooseman and dannyb like this.

Sorry for the revival, but whats a good way to clean the horns up after being buried for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I've posted these two on here before, but... for the record... again. The first one is on the wall in the shed at the hunting block, the second one is here in the shed at home. I forget how wide they are, and if I gave a figure it would probably be different to what I said before and one of you buggers would point that out! (I think the first one was 33" and the second one I've just gone and measured again... 29").

I totally agree with some of the comments about how hard to find these bigger billy heads are. If you're up for a challenge, a great area for big billies is the margins of the Wanganui National Park, all sides. If you can get access to some of those farms, and spend some time out in the field, you'll eventually spot some big old boys on the bush edges, usually alone... they are hard to get at (which is why they are so big of course).

There's an enormous pure white billy I've seen twice in my primary hunting grounds that has alluded me due to a finely developed sense of danger. He's the only white one I've seen in that area, and I've seen thousands and shot many hundreds of them, his colouring is very unusual compared to the dominant genetics. I am determined to get him, I've had a second opinion on his head (also only through long range glassing) and we both agree he'll be in the mid-40s minimum, potentially pushing high-40s. And thick. I'd be stoked to post that head on here, gonna have to work for it though.

Attachment 110889

Attachment 110890
    Did u end up getting that big billy..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    caberslash likes this.