Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree428Likes

Thread: When men were men

Went to look at a 2nd hand trailer to buy in Chch one day a few years ago. Started talking to the old fella selling it about hunting as he had a few hunting photos in the garage. He was telling me about hunting on the coast in years gone by and how he used to fly with Goodwin from time to time. So I asked if he’d ever come across Pete Harker. Turns out I was talking to him . Good bugger to talk to. Got a few of his books which are a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I apologise - by your Dad I actually meant your GD Ted. He was a good man. Yes, wonderful times. So much simpler.
    I would love to go back up the Toko. Too late now.
    Great memories.
    Ta for the pic. Looks bigger.
    Brings back some great memories of Ted Rout and Bernie Bowater – Bernie with the hind quarters and Ted beside his blue land rover. We did a few trips up Takapari Road following along behind the bulldozer each week or so. The road was like a cattle yard – we could walk through the leather wood like it was hardly there. Bernie and his family had a great hut up on the top near the road – on a track pushed through from the farm. They were both real good hunters – sadly Bernie had a heart attack and died at about 50ish.
    Name:  IMG_0064 2 (2).JPG
Views: 386
Size:  128.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0061 2 (2).JPG
Views: 380
Size:  214.5 KB

Thanks for posting these pics mate. Ted was a real gentle fella full of 'good'.
    I used to be scared sh@tless going up over the hills above tok in that land rover. Looked alot older when I was in it.
    Tahr, time out and Micky Duck like this.

I just noticed the rifle against the wagon. Wonder if its this one. He gave me his old rifle many years backName:  IMG_20211016_074855.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  5.70 MB

Awhile ago i had another read of my Philip Holden book called Hunter by Profession , published in 1973 where he writes about his time living in Mangaweka and meat hunting in the nearby Ruahines.
    A lot of the areas he hunted like the Pourangaki, Hikurangi stream, the Kawhatau river and the Maropea behind Mokai station i am quite familiar with and the thought of carrying a whole deer carcass out from those areas on a regular basis is mind boggling , even though like a lot of blokes my age i have carried the odd deer out of the bush myself.
    Micky Duck and Riverflat like this.

Bos
    Seems like a long time ago now (and it was really), but shootin pigs and deer ( an possums and goats) to supplement the meagre wages was just a natural thing to do. As a a young fella full of enthusiasm and fitness, and armed with all the knowledge from Bruce Grant, Philip Holden, Rex Forrester, and Keith Severinson, heading into the bush with pretty basic gear was just the norm. We weren't so much "tough bastards", it was just what we had at the time, unlike the far better gear and equipment of today.
    Deer became pretty scarce in the 70's, so we used to go pig hunting, sometimes with dogs that we'd picked up off the street round town, but more often with the rifle and horse. Sometimes the dogs lasted several trips and turned out ok, sometimes they didn't.
    Heres a few pretty old pics of some of the hogs, horses, the old hut we camped in a fair bit, and a fuck up in the river on one trip
    Name:  IMG_0884.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  939.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0888 (2).JPG
Views: 373
Size:  808.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0885.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  652.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0886 (2).JPG
Views: 377
Size:  817.2 KB
    Tahr, veitnamcam, doinit and 14 others like this.

thats a tad on the damp side,interesting way to wash blood off the deck!!!! awesome photos.
    Bos, Phil_H and Ben Waimata like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Heres a few pretty old pics of some of the hogs, horses, the old hut we camped in a fair bit, and a fuck up in the river on one trip
    Which river out of interest?

Bos
    Thats the Palmer in flood

Boar with good tusks can do alot of damage - he's an animal to treat with great respect. Back in the 60s we had several pigdogs killed - ripped when approaching from front rather than sides for ear holds when bailing.

I recall one occasion back in South Waikato the dogs were bailing a boar on a high flat hill covered with dense northern bush. And the boar kept breaking. Old man and I followed noise of the dogs for some time, then realised the boar was following us. A circling going on - all in very dense undergrowth. Then hell of a racket about 20 meters away and old man pushes me (7-8 years old) up a rotten tree out of the way of the scrap. Next thing boar breaks, races past me - exactly as the tree breaks down and crashes with me couple of meters behind him. Hell of a racket as dogs go past, catch him up and bail him again about 5 meters away. Finally old man gets through the undergrowth, BOOM from the jungle carbine, and its all over. Talk about a scared kid ...year's supply of nappies on that one..

On another occasion we finally got a particular boar who was notorious in the South Waikato back in the 60s. Had been trying to get him for years. Dogs got onto him again and again but he was too big, too strong. Very well known in the district as the Blackberry Gully boar - and over a number of years it had killed 17 dogs belonging to lots of hunters. Old man finally got to him when the dogs stayed on him all afternoon - lead by a young dog who didn't have the sense to quit - and they finally bailed him in a deep boghole. Old man got to him and nailed him with the jungle carbine. It was a big crossbred brindle boar and weighed 320lbs. 3" tusks (undrawn). News of his demise was written up in Waikato paper of the day, and mounted head is still on my brother's wall. True story..
    Tahr, veitnamcam, doinit and 19 others like this.

I remember a very funny shoot around 1970-71. Still makes me laugh.. I'd have been about 18 then, a very active hunter and range comp shooter. Lots of practice to keep sharp..

Was invited by some mates to go on a goat shoot on a back country farm near Bennydale in the Waikato. They wanted to sell the meat so asked could we please shoot in the neck or head. On this shoot also they invited a big Canadian fella. He worked in Tokoroa and was apparently a former Canadian heavyweight boxing champion. His name was Rocky J****. I kid you not.. So all the way to Bennydale Rocky tells us how good he is, how experienced a hunter he is, and how good his rifle is. Some bloody great north american moose/bear cannon he's carrying. All the way its Blah Blah Blah Blah... no-one else got a word in edgewise. When we arrive my mates pair off and one of them looks at me with a laugh and says 'you go with Rocky Mike..' Oh shit!! But Rocky quickly tells me don't worry, just follow him and do what he does and it'll be great. Right..

We head across the farm - hilly country with bush patches - Rocky still telling me and the world how good he is. We walk up to a brow and there on the opposite hill face is a mob of 6 goats. Ok he yells and gets ready to bomb them freehand at 180 yards with this giant cannon. Meanwhile I notice there's a fence 15m away, sneak down to it, and rest my accurate little 243 Remmy 600 on top of a post. Old man was a divisional shooting champion in the war (occasionally called up for sniper duties in the desert) and he always taught me to find every advantage when shooting at something - sitting, lying down, a tree, rest on a log, whatever, so you get the animal. Apparently Rocky had a different school..

As I look through my scope he opens up a barrage on the opposite hill face. Tremendous racket. Boomityboomboombamboom. Into it. And through the scope I can see dirt flying everywhere - divots flying up from the loose dirt. Looks like a bomb site. I take time, empty the mag, and shoot 5 of the milling goats - one in the head and 4 in the neck. No misses - its a good fence post. And finally in the chaos old Rocky hit one - blew it half apart with his big caliber. We finish shooting and walk down valley and up to the shooting zone. Looks bit like a ploughed field - no idea how many rounds he put into it. He looks at my 5 - all neck and head shots as requested, and looks at his. Carnage. Not a word. Then he notices one I've shot is half grown and he says - 'you didn't have to shoot the young one.' Didn't bother to answer. Bit later the tractor and trailer arrives and the boys pick up the carcases - his one pretty useless. Mate asks how did old Rocky go - so I told him!! Very quietly.

Trip home was funny - no-one said much - Rocky's a big bugger. But everyone's chuckling and sniggering. And old Rocky never said a word. Didn't have to. Never saw him again... The world's worst shot!!
    Last edited by mudgripz; 16-10-2021 at 05:37 PM.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, madjon_ and 11 others like this.

Some great stories and pics guys , really enjoyed reading them all , the old hunting books pictures and stories really got me me going and I still have them and still flic’ through them from time to time .
    They were tough men , especially the hunters in the 20 and 30’s , Jim Muir must of been one tough fella , you look at those old photos of some of the first Wapiti to be shot , the gear they had ,the basic supplies they took , very basic maps etc. and then how they carried those massive heads back out … incredible.
    Mind you I think people of that generation were tougher more resilient bunch than today .
    I have met a few ex cullers over the years , Bill Nikyl springs to mind as a heck of a nice guy and was well respected , some of you will be lucky enough to own one of his knives as well , I’m sure he told me once he still has his BSA .222 original condition except it’s on its 3rd barrel and second stock hahaha..
    ROKTOY and caberslash like this.

Riverflat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgrass View Post
    Went to look at a 2nd hand trailer to buy in Chch one day a few years ago. Started talking to the old fella selling it about hunting as he had a few hunting photos in the garage. He was telling me about hunting on the coast in years gone by and how he used to fly with Goodwin from time to time. So I asked if he’d ever come across Pete Harker. Turns out I was talking to him . Good bugger to talk to. Got a few of his books which are a good read.
    Flu in to the Douglas in the early 70's a couple of times just after the hut was built . Before that it was walk to the Horace Walker rock Biv . Goodwin Mcnut , havn't heard that name in a wail .
    Snowgrass likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYHUNTERS View Post
    Flu in to the Douglas in the early 70's a couple of times just after the hut was built . Before that it was walk to the Horace Walker rock Biv . Goodwin Mcnut , havn't heard that name in a wail .
    The sub is so thick in there now you can't walk to the rock biv
    Still nice country and love it up above the lake
    But haven't taken any good bulls out of there despite seeing plenty

Did get one with my 50 cal muzzleloader a few winters ago in there
    Tahr and HILLBILLYHUNTERS like this.