Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Where are all the deer

Quote Originally Posted by HOO View Post
    Would the noise from the lighter not be an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes...best to use wet finger

I use a product called smoke. Bow hunters use it also

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    kiwijames, 10-Ring and HOO like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Your face is a very good detector of a light breeze or a few bits of dried leaf or grass dropped from yr hand.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Never found that to be an issue. The smoke idea sounds even better.

Tape a thread of cotton to the end of your barrel to watch the wind.
    Mathias likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Tape a thread of cotton to the end of your barrel to watch the wind.
    stuff the wind...follow the dog LOL. the wind usually seems to end up pointed fair up my bum no matter how hard we try to get direction right...hopefully dog has done her job and its too late for deer by then.

HOO
    Thanks again for all the tips on this one. Went out for a morning mission today. Slowed myself down a lot and spent loads more time glassing instead of getting impatient and moving on as in previous hunts.
    Got up there as the sun came up and sat watching for a few hours. I thought I’d give it another half hour before moving spots and I spied what I think was a fallow hind ( quite dark fur ) moving into a small clearing. It was 5-600m away I think so thought I’d try and sneak up a bit closer for obvious reasons.
    After a bit of stalk it moved away from the clearing and into the bush above so I moved around in front of it ( took me a while ) but couldn’t manage to relocate it.

Now while this may not sound like a win, compared to my previous solo expeditions, it it’s a vast improvement. Although I can home empty handed I got a lot closer to an animal than I have previously and learnt not to be so bloody impatient. It’s all progress to me.

So thanks again for the help. Especially 300wsm who was kind enough to loan me a book that’s answered pretty much every question I’ve asked of it and also a big thanks to Tahr who messaged me how to better use the spots I hunt.

When I do finally get something out there I’ll be sure to post it up

a square of close cell foam mat to put under your bum when sitting helps,cut it the same size as back of daybag and slip it in there....works a treat. keep going back and it will happen.
    turtle and HOO like this.

You will succeed Hoo. Don't get disheartened when you come home empty handed. Its all part of the journey.

Wet fingers, lighters, string on barrel, etc for wind direction will tell you which way it's blowing where you're standing. 2-3mtrs away it may well be blowing in a different direction, therefore these methods, in my experience, are useless and will let you down. I use a small kids bottle of blowing bubbles. Try it, you'll see the bubbles go off in all directions and swirl around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
    Wet fingers, lighters, string on barrel, etc for wind direction will tell you which way it's blowing where you're standing. 2-3mtrs away it may well be blowing in a different direction, therefore these methods, in my experience, are useless and will let you down. I use a small kids bottle of blowing bubbles. Try it, you'll see the bubbles go off in all directions and swirl around.
    smoke from a match strike is good like that too

If any of the guys I have ever hunted with seen me blowing bubbles in the bush they would have an ambo and white coats waiting for me at road end.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    If any of the guys I have ever hunted with seen me blowing bubbles in the bush they would have an ambo and white coats waiting for me at road end.
    Gold

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    I hunt solo usually, so am safe enough there. Somebody once took the piss out of me for it, but it works, so that's what counts.
    turtle likes this.

R93
    I hunt solo usually, so am safe enough there. Somebody once took the piss out of me for it, but it works, so that's what counts.
    Whatever works eh?

Before affordable GPS and when meat shooting for a dollar, I come up with marking deer I killed in the Bush with a helium balloon so we could winch them out with the machine and grapple.
    Worked OK (when not windy) but I got sick of carting the bottle to fill the balloons up

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter, Daithi and piwakawaka like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.