Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Where and how do you carry your knife while hunting?

on my belt RH side... I had to make a new sheath for my current one as I like the point to be at the back as it catches less and its dome would unclip easy facing forward. The dome can come undone on the new one and it will still stay put as it a tight fit on the handle

just a cheap knife but it seams to hold its edge
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

If you are hunting open land then on a belt is fine. If you are hunting tight bush then leave it in your day bag along with your sling to prevent snagging branches and spooking the game you are stalking

I don't wear a belt and my main knife is a fold up jobbie and that stays in my day pack. I have never used a fixed blade knife as I've never seen the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulltahr View Post
    In my pack, less shit on the outside the better...............
    I used to use a vege knife for everything, lost it after 10 yrs and now use a folder. Those big bowie types are a joke, unless you are pig hunting.
    Yeah, that was me until I started to notice my fingers locking up when gripping the small handle because of buggered nerves and tendons. Couple of ops later and now I use fixed blades with a bit of grip and leverage. About a 4" blade.

I can get the back steaks off and bone out a deer in half the time now.

I use a Little Remington one with a gut hook, mostly on my belt behind my back with my range finder & ammo, unless I have a pack on then they are on my hips.
    If I have a bit of a walk I stick it in my pack.
    It is a little short in the blade & is "interesting" sticking pigs I have shot with it....
    The fat blade & gut hook make it a little difficult to cut out the backside of small animals but I love the gut hook.
    I had two off them but broke one digging bullets out of a bank in a hurry up north one day......Bugger... it was worth it though to retrieve bullets shot from 1700 yards away

Always in my pack but when hunting with josh i accidentally forget it and let him do the dirty job

Usually in my daypack so it doesn't fall off my belt when pushing through the scrub.

If I'm out with the dogs I will typically have a knife on my belt, if its just me then 50/50 if its in my bag or my belt.

Depending on the hunt weather I just have a bum bag or day pack. Bum bag its on my left hip.(why would a right hander have it on his right hip to tangle with his rifle?) day pack trip the bum bag is in the pack and there is a small folder backup in the bum bag.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Depending on the hunt weather I just have a bum bag or day pack. Bum bag its on my left hip.(why would a right hander have it on his right hip to tangle with his rifle?) day pack trip the bum bag is in the pack and there is a small folder backup in the bum bag.
    Tangle it with your rifle??

I guess it could if you used a sling but I dont....

I have a range finder pocket on the left and use that far more than the knife and unless I want the knife digging in to my leg it has to be on the right
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

If you have your knife behind your hip bone it is unlikely to interfere with a slung rilfe in my experience. A knife dosent have to be in a fast draw position on any hunting trip so a bit further 'round the back' is more comfortable but is still readily to hand when the need arrises after the shot has been taken.

Von Gruff.

in my bum bag, the less stuff hanging off me the better in my opinion.

I'm with Von Gruff, my main green river job is on ther hip with a steel as well, but further back so its not a hassle in the thick shit. I have a folder in the day bag too

On the hip slightly to the rear.( Sheath and steel ) ive had mine since about 1985 hard to find the same type of sheath's these days, if its tight i pull the bush shirt or coat over it and the scrub slides off on worries . I wear it on the left and sling the rifle on the right - just what ive got used to that way my steel dont rub mark the scope and stock .

Talking

I have one down each boot so I can grab it with either hand and also a cut throat razor in a pouch behind my neck ...