Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you hunt with a semi-auto?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

212 71.38%
  • No

85 28.62%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Who Hunts with a semi auto?

I do

Yes, semi auto shotguns only.

Yes, shotgun for birds/rabbits,.223 for goat culling and general hunting

Yep I do.

Ar15 and a Benelli m2

I do, 10/22 for possums/Rabbits and a Browning Short Trek for getting multiple animals while bush hunting deer.

Not my words...
    "Hi Guys, I am sad to say that the data collection has not stopped the Game animal council from throwing recreational hunters who use semi autos under the bus.
    They felt the need to virtue signal to NZ that there is no need for semi autos in hunting.
    The Game animal council released a press release this morning which i have attached.
    We will write to the minister to state a case for recreational hunters, so she needs more data. She wants to know what you have chosen a semi auto over a bolt action rifle. It is indeed a sad day as we now see organizations turning on others in an attempt too score some brownie points."

https://www.facebook.com/download/77...pdX3Au0cD_R00d

NZ Game Animal Council
    Media Statement

20 March 2019

MSSA’s unnecessary for recreational hunting

“The conversation New Zealand is now having regarding the use of military-style semi-automatic firearms (MSSA’s) is important and the Game Animal Council wishes to clarify several aspects in relation to their use for hunting game animals,” says Chair Don Hammond.

The Game Animal Council (GAC) is a statutory organisation responsible for the sustainable management of game animals and hunting for recreation, commerce and conservation. The GAC therefore has an interest in the safe use and provision of firearms as they relate to game animal hunting and management in New Zealand.

“The reality is that for recreational game animal hunting there is little practical use for MSSA’s,” says Hammond. “The vast majority of recreational hunting of deer, tahr, chamois and wild pigs using firearms is done with bolt-action rifles.”

“The practical application for MSSA’s is for game animal management and commercial harvest undertaken by the Department of Conservation, professional animal controllers and commercial meat recovery operators. For this type of work a bolt-action rifle is impractical.”

“The GAC does not believe restrictions on the availability of MSSA’s will have a major impact on the recreational hunting of game animals. However, provision is needed for a very limited availability to those few organisations that undertake game animal management operations and commercial meat recovery. We do believe there are ways to provide for these applications while satisfying any objective further restricting the public availability of MSSA’s.”

“Finally, I want to state just how shocked and saddened the Game Animal Council is over the events in Christchurch last Friday. The Council wishes to pass on our gratitude to the New Zealand Police and the other emergency services for their outstanding response and to pass on our condolences to everyone affected by this tragedy.”

Don Hammond, Chair
    Phone 0274885940
    don.hammond@nzgac.org.nz

Quote Originally Posted by grunzter View Post
    Not my words...
    "Hi Guys, I am sad to say that the data collection has not stopped the Game animal council from throwing recreational hunters who use semi autos under the bus.
    They felt the need to virtue signal to NZ that there is no need for semi autos in hunting.
    The Game animal council released a press release this morning which i have attached.
    We will write to the minister to state a case for recreational hunters, so she needs more data. She wants to know what you have chosen a semi auto over a bolt action rifle. It is indeed a sad day as we now see organizations turning on others in an attempt too score some brownie points."

https://www.facebook.com/download/77...pdX3Au0cD_R00d

NZ Game Animal Council
    Media Statement

20 March 2019

MSSA’s unnecessary for recreational hunting

“The conversation New Zealand is now having regarding the use of military-style semi-automatic firearms (MSSA’s) is important and the Game Animal Council wishes to clarify several aspects in relation to their use for hunting game animals,” says Chair Don Hammond.

The Game Animal Council (GAC) is a statutory organisation responsible for the sustainable management of game animals and hunting for recreation, commerce and conservation. The GAC therefore has an interest in the safe use and provision of firearms as they relate to game animal hunting and management in New Zealand.

“The reality is that for recreational game animal hunting there is little practical use for MSSA’s,” says Hammond. “The vast majority of recreational hunting of deer, tahr, chamois and wild pigs using firearms is done with bolt-action rifles.”

“The practical application for MSSA’s is for game animal management and commercial harvest undertaken by the Department of Conservation, professional animal controllers and commercial meat recovery operators. For this type of work a bolt-action rifle is impractical.”

“The GAC does not believe restrictions on the availability of MSSA’s will have a major impact on the recreational hunting of game animals. However, provision is needed for a very limited availability to those few organisations that undertake game animal management operations and commercial meat recovery. We do believe there are ways to provide for these applications while satisfying any objective further restricting the public availability of MSSA’s.”

“Finally, I want to state just how shocked and saddened the Game Animal Council is over the events in Christchurch last Friday. The Council wishes to pass on our gratitude to the New Zealand Police and the other emergency services for their outstanding response and to pass on our condolences to everyone affected by this tragedy.”

Don Hammond, Chair
    Phone 0274885940
    don.hammond@nzgac.org.nz
    think a ? placed after the "MSSA unneccessary for recreational hunting would have been appropriate change the whole thing from a statement followed by more statements to a question followed by reply. also hes only talking about recreational hunting has ignored people who paper punch as a sport ....and maybe sucking up to the helihunters and commercial operators?

Walking my rifle
    I hunt with a Semi.

Yes - rimfire, center fire and shotgun. Pest control, food gathering and recreation.

Nope. Had a couple of semi auto .22's years ago but prefer a bolt for safety.

I do

M..
    I do

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

I do

I do

GDR
    I do