Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    That's a decent stag there mate - length?

Name:  Sambar 2 006.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  200.5 KB

Its about 700 high ill get measure done this week

Thats a nice head mate well done!!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    We got about eight peafowl and a couple of pheasants 'rushy' and figured we probably had enough.
    Excellent. I am interested to know whether you eat the peafowl and if so what they are like. Had four peacocks up the back of my place just a couple of days ago. they come over from a neighbouring property where there are a lot of them.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Excellent. I am interested to know whether you eat the peafowl and if so what they are like. Had four peacocks up the back of my place just a couple of days ago. they come over from a neighbouring property where there are a lot of them.

Peafowl are the same as pheasant to eat... 'great' needs a sauce though.... White meat with a tendency toward dryness when cooked.

My last lot went into salami... along with... goose, paradise duck, and swan, We get a lot of the above and most people will waste them if you are not careful.

Best salami yet...the above and 1 leg of venison, 1 leg of pork, and 1 leg of mutton.

Greatest gamebird in New Zealand. We used to run safari hunts for them in the BOP. There are thousands of them in the hills where I used to live.

When they have been hunted hard they get cunning. You can creep up to the brow of the hill and stick one eye over the top and see 30 to 50 birds running for their lives. Once you get a few hunters in the field working from different directions the birds go to ground and can be flushed individually by a good dog. They will sit so tight in cover that the dogs will sometimes end up with a mouth full of feathers.

Interesting...for their size they are hard birds to hit...They fly incredibly fast but because the cock bird is 7,1/2 feet long no one shooting them for the first time ever manages to figure the correct lead. They just dont look fast. I put a big cock bird down a gully once where there were five guns waiting either side of the gully. Each shooter in turn blew tail feathers out of the bird. These were a bunch of American bird shooters that had travelled the world and shot just about every gamebird on the planet.

I said, what's up?? why didnt you bring it down?? One Ameirican said..I was expecting a bird not a damned B52.

Any shot from behind usually fails because of the huge padding of tail feathers...You want to see the sise of the Pope's nose on the bird.

still learning to hunt sika in the kawekas,

Now that is sweet!! and the photo is also great. Sambar is on my list with a bow.

Kirk

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Now that is sweet!! and the photo is also great. Sambar is on my list with a bow.

Kirk
    Kirk, it may not be winter in California but Id love to see some better photos of your ram in your avitar. It looks a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post

Kirk
    Thx Kirk , hats off to you bow hunters , hope you score a nice Sambar some day .

Just keeping my eye in, and keeping on top of the bunnies & hares at some farms I have the priviledge to shoot on. It's not much but it's regular enough plus I get to spend the time with my 13yr old son.

Im heading into Longview Hut area on the 27th for 3 days. Not sure where ill head yet, I shell wait for the weather do make that decision for me.

Bighorn from Colorado

I took this Bighorn Sheep in unit S32, Colorado. It is the Georgetown unit. 1 hour west of Denver. They draw 1 Non-Residents and 5 Residents for the first season. Took the sheep in August 2010.

[img][/img]
    [img][/img]

This is a larger photo

Kirk

[img][/img]

All boned out and ready to pack

[img][/img]

Nice mate ,is this ram the full mount you have on your web page kirk .