Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Who's shot one of each deer species in NZ?

Need a Rusa and Whitetail out of the list. My Wap was just a weak bitsa. Nice reds, chamois and Tahr. Medium Fallow. Sheep and bull mean nothing to me, but have shot a few.

Got a nice Rusa in NC but it doesn't really count (its in Mainly Hunting, Wellington).

Need Whitetail, Sambar and pure Wapiti.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Need a Sambar and Rusa. Had a miss-fire on a Rusa stag back in the 80's with an old Parkerhale .303. It was under 20 yrds away. Still have the cartridge somewhere.

Will be chasing a Rusa and Chital here in Oz next year. Dunno if I will ever bother with a sambar.
    You chasing the Rusa with a guide or on private stuff?
    If you wanna chase the sambar here I can point you in the direction of a couple of places

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    So - Who's shot one of each deer species in NZ? Or how far off are you from doing it?

It had never really occurred to me that it was something I wanted to do, but I just realised that I only have to shoot a Whitetail and a Samba and I would have done it. Luckily (for me) I have a Stewart Island trip booked for the end of the year, so maybe I'll have all 7 deer species in NZ by then? Anyway it now gives me a goal to work towards.

Tell us about your ''big 7''?

kj
    So far I have a tahr and Sika.

But if you accept Aussie I've got sambar, chital, fallow and red too
    Not that we count roos and wallaby's but thousands of those pricks too haha

Also caught a few Murray cod - dunno if they count but they probably weigh more than some game animals haha

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    So far I have a tahr and Sika.

But if you accept Aussie I've got sambar, chital, fallow and red too
    Not that we count roos and wallaby's but thousands of those pricks too haha

Also caught a few Murray cod - dunno if they count but they probably weigh more than some game animals haha
    Those Murray cod sound awesome. I love bowfishing, but we mainly target Koi-carp her in NZ

This is my brother and old man who is now over 70yrs old. The bowfishing has allowed us to enjoy some great days out together as a family, as it can be done from a boat or by a slow paced walk along the river/lake edges.

It's only just occurring to me how lucky we are to have such a variety of game to hunt in NZ. Aussie has its share of game as well and I'm looking forward to going back there to do some more hunting (my oldest brother lives in Sydney) in the near future.

kj
    Last edited by kimjon; 12-07-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Ive got Red, Fallow, Sika, Samba. Still would love to get a White Tail and at some stage, a Rusa.

There are some bread through Wapiti in the Haurangi, Southern Wairapara. But I guess there a more Hybrids there now.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    they sound awesome. I love bowfishing, but we mainly target Koi-carp her in NZ

This is my brother and old man who is now over 70yrs old. The bowfishing has allowed us to enjoy some great days out together as a family, as it can be done from a boat or by a slow paced walk along the river/lake edges.

It's only just occurring to me how lucky we are to have such a variety of game to hunt in NZ. Aussie has its share of game as well and I'm looking forward to going back there to do some more hunting (my oldest brother lives in Sydney) in the near future.

kj
    Awesome stuff, bow fishing is illegal here now (the head lobby group were fisherman....??? apparently its ok to use a rod or a speargun but not a bow).

Depends on where your bro hunts mate, the big stink over the past couple of weeks is that NSW have banned hunting on all public land and now that the greens have that they're pushing (and it looks as though it'll go through) to have blackpowder rifles and bows banned altogether.
    Just yesterday in Victoria where I am they also made it legal to shoot deer under spotlight which has the poachers leaping for joy.
    NZ is starting to look a lot friendlier!

Awesome stuff, bow fishing is illegal here now (the head lobby group were fisherman....??? apparently its ok to use a rod or a speargun but not a bow).

Depends on where your bro hunts mate, the big stink over the past couple of weeks is that NSW have banned hunting on all public land and now that the greens have that they're pushing (and it looks as though it'll go through) to have blackpowder rifles and bows banned altogether.
    Just yesterday in Victoria where I am they also made it legal to shoot deer under spotlight which has the poachers leaping for joy.
    Oh, bugger that's no good.

kj

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Need a sambar rusa and wapiti
    Me too.

You know you want to!!!
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You know you want to!!!
    Mate if I found a job that was likely to pay what I will hopefully be on here in the next couple of years I'd be all over it!! haha
    Should look into the DOC office jobs actually

Ive only tipped over Sika and Reds from the deer species and Tahr and Goats from everything else... My long term goal is a representative head of all NZ species from DOC land, havent got into it as much as i would have liked as im too busy with study, but when this year comes to a close il be giving it as much spare time as ive got!!
    kimjon likes this.

Another young huntress
    Out of the 7 I have shot none... yet!
    phillipgr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Progeny of escapees.
    Interesting. There are (or were) some small isolated Wap herds unknown to DOC
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

R93
    You chasing the Rusa with a guide or on private stuff?
    If you wanna chase the sambar here I can point you in the direction of a couple of places
    A mate in NZ guides here in Oz for a month every winter. Going with him on private stuff. Cheers for the sambar offer. I may have a go one day.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.