Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: WHY WE DO IT

Gone but not forgotten
    I just enjoy being in the bush, and the outdoors in general. The hunting adds a challenge and takes you to places you otherwise wouldn't see.
    I enjoy the hunter-gatherer thing, even collecting kai moana, etc for the family I don't eat myself.
    The meat is just a bonus. I love wild pork, but I'm not a huge fan of venison (prefer beef myself).
    Swanny likes this.

MB
    Lots of factors, but I've spent a bit of time thinking about this lately. and it comes down to two main reasons. First, a sense of purpose and secondly, the adrenaline rush of hunting. Sadly, I don't get either of those things from my personal/working life anymore, so hunting and fishing fill the void.
    Steve123 and Moa Hunter like this.

I enjoy it. Nothing quite like it for heightening the senses. Sight, smell and hearing all switched on. Sneaky mode engaged.
    And if your successful you get some good meals out of it.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Kiwi Sapper and Swanny like this.

Meat and solitude. But I have built my career and life around it so there must be more to it than that.

i was 6 years old and the family moved here from pomgolia
    we lives in an nzfs village, the neighbours were generally maori/ pacific islanders and hell those guys sure knew how to hunt and cook.
    i got into hunting thru those guys. i got my first deer at 13 with a crossbow, wasnt a big one, i was proud. mum was disgusted as she still to this day thinks meat comes from pak n save
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    I enjoy it. Nothing quite like it for heightening the senses. Sight, smell and hearing all switched on. Sneaky mode engaged. And if your successful you get some good meals out of it.
    Development and survival of the species...........That is what it is all about and has been so from our developing from the primordial slime through to clambering out onto terra firma.

And although it will upset some, I say that if it is alive, not going to kill you and you can't eat it, don't kill it. I have no support for "Trophy hunting."
    Steve123, MB, hebe and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Almost totally agree with you @Kiwi Sapper, but I would add "if it is alive, not going to kill you, you can't eat it, and it is not introduced and going to decimate other species, don't kill it"

I think little critters like the stoat, weasel, ferret and feral cats - if not domestic ones as well - need to go..........

Yup, I can't disagree with that, a bit like Covid 19?. I didn't think of every exception, just having a damned good stab at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    .............As to trophy hunting....I'm of two minds. If it is a trophy to be had and it is also meat and a pest, then why not. Myself personally, I have no interest in trophy heads. The only thing I keep is antlers so Sharon can make and sell buttons......
    " it is also meat" that's understood, i tried to make my view clear but seem not to have. If the purpose of the kill is JUST FOR THE TROPHY, as I said, I cannot support it.
    If I understand you correctly, you gather the meat and also utilise as much as possible from the kill. An example of the exact opposite would be the buffalo hunters of the North America plains during the late nineteenth century following US expansion into the West, whose only interest was the hides. Every thing else was left on site.
    Phil_H likes this.

I really enjoy the fitness aspect, spending time with mates, exploring new places and of course who doesn't like bringing meat back for the freezer. Love hunting.
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Trophy hunting does more for game animal management than meat hunting.
    AH..........."Game management". Another exception I didn't think of be it to contain over population of a species or avoid a possible extinction because of over hunting / fishing /gathering. I understand and have no argument with the act of "Game Management".

However, as you suggest Trophy hunting as an effective tool for game management, are there any links you can give us to facts showing that trophy hunting is a more effective means of game management than hunting for food and the necessary culling?

Just asking 'cos I wonder if the penis envy of the trophy hunter in taking the best examples of a breed, is detrimental to the sustainable or continuing development of a stock's improvement.

Ned
    Solitude, and getting back to the basics. The mental and physical challenge. The constant learning curve, always new stuff to learn. With spearfishing, flyfishing, hunting, all of these activities really force you to understand the animals you are seeking and the environment they live in. So much so that the 6th sense develops. Almost to the point where you sometimes struggle to explain to somebody else where and why you might encounter animal x, y or z. I guess avid wildlife photographers would be the same? But you can't eat a photo

The sights, sounds and smells especially of the bush. The lack of distractions, the heightening of the senses and the restorative qualities of time alone. Although clambering up and down 60 degree slopes isn't that restorative.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    ..................Regarding your penis enlargement theory, do you walk through someones private art gallery or wine cellar and openly state that it's owner must have a small cock to need to invest money in such things?
    Because going by your attitude to trophy hunting I think you should.
    Nope, as frankly, that theory, which you mentioned, does not trouble me, never has. What does trouble me is any unecessary killing and the associated waste.
    Another, "frankly" and "never" is a "...walk through someones private art gallery or wine cellar......" Were that to occur, I doubt I would see any signs of unnecessary killing or waste. :>)

WHY WE DO IT

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    AH..........."Game management". Another exception I didn't think of be it to contain over population of a species or avoid a possible extinction because of over hunting / fishing /gathering. I understand and have no argument with the act of "Game Management".

However, as you suggest Trophy hunting as an effective tool for game management, are there any links you can give us to facts showing that trophy hunting is a more effective means of game management than hunting for food and the necessary culling?

Just asking 'cos I wonder if the penis envy of the trophy hunter in taking the best examples of a breed, is detrimental to the sustainable or continuing development of a stock's improvement.
    Balanced paper on the benefits and moral implications of trophy hunting.

https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wi...002/pan3.10160

I can speak from first hand experience wrt African trophy hunting.

Remember that most African trophy hunting takes place on tribal land belong to impoverished communities.
    Safari companies bid for these concessions and are required to protect and maintain the wildlife stock as part of their contract. This includes population management and policing and deterring poaching.
    This requires huge monetary outlay to maintain as manpower is required, meat hunting cannot compete with $150k to shoot a big 5 trophy.
    Most require quotas to be set through the tribal councils for sustainability and part of the trophy fee and most of the meat to the community.
    Other trophy hunting takes place on privately owned game farms, again, managed as any farmer worth their salt would do, no point of shooting all your breeding stock.
    Contrary to popular belief, the biggest threat to African game is habitat destruction and not hunting or even poaching (elephant not withstanding)

In both cases the demise of trophy hunting would lead to a loss in income which would force the stakeholders to eat/shoot/sell the game and turn to either stock or crop farming.

Since the boom in commercial trophy hunting the game populations in Southern Africa have grown exponentially.

Remember how the leftist media paint us gun owners in a bad light? That is exactly what they do with trophy hunting, don’t drink the look-are and do some research before taking their word for it.

That’s what Karens do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve123, MB and hunterAT like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Gone but not forgotten
    everyone hunts for different reasons same as same as use different methods to do so aslong as it suits said person so really shouldnt matter to anyone else way i see it