Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Wild Cattle

Wild Cattle

G'day all,

I have a chance to hunt some wild cattle and wanted to test for knowledge and experience from anyone who has shot wild cattle before.

I shoot a .270. Big enough? All I can find is either information on homekill (walking up and putting one through the forehead which I don't think will be a go with a wild bull) or form the US with Bison - where I find .270 is less common than here.

Thoughts? Any other tips?

Cheers in advance,

Fitzy

I've shot a couple with a .270 - they were 10-20 yards away and I shot them in the neck. Not sure I'd be comfortable shooting them through the chest with a .270. From memory cattle don't pass out from the hydraulic shock of a bullet hitting them in the chest like deer do.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

I've shot wild cattle a few times, go as big as you can especially if there are bulls, I have used a 9.3 x62 and a 3006, mate has used a 300 win mag bullet weights as heavy as you can get. Yes I suppose you can use small light weight bullets if you can get a head shot in but having had to track down a beast wounded by 2 708 shoulder shots i wouldn't . My experience is in scrub country so we were sometimes shooting through foliage and twigs even at close range so you want a good solid bullet.

Wild cattle no different than anything else, if they bleed out they’re dead. Brain shot is most effective to stop them quickly. Be aware that if they know you’re there they are known to start hunting you. They are surprisingly quiet even in thick bush and fast. They no harder to kill than Aussie bush bulls/buff. and they’ve been shot with multiple calibers over the years.
    Got-ya and Scott Cowan like this.

Last couple I shot, one was on the run, bout 70y, hit it twice in the neck with 7.5-06ai (Prc velocity) two good hits, kept running and I lost it after 2km up hill and down dale. I learnt not to do neck shots on a bull. having said that a mate has shot loads with his old 6.5 sweed. never seen them do anything but collapse. he shoots them behind the ear. the 2nd bull was just over 100y and I shot it in the head, side on is the ticket, they have hard foreheads. in the past I have tried chest shots with a 3006. they run from 50-100y but it's still effective. as long as you dont hit the front sholder bone. also next shots on younger animals has been effective. with good shot placement a 270 is more than enough. the 6.5-06 can be formed from a 270 case
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    woods223, dannyb and Snap 4T like this.

a good stout 150grn going as fast as you can safely load it..and if its still moving,keep shooting till its not doing so. lapua make a 160grn and barnes go heavier still.
    a sample pack of heavyish barnes wouldnt be silly way to go either,just drive them fast.and yes Ive shot a few of them.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

and lets be honest....not all cattle are big solid bulls like one shown in photo,up to say 2 year old will be much better eating and much less meat to carry out to wagon.... there is a HUGE amount of beef in animal that big.I managed to carry hindquarters of a 2 year old on my shoulders for half a km..but was young dumb and full of cum 17 year old when I did so.....
    Scott Cowan likes this.

No problem with a .270 just pick your shot and get close. Shot a wild cattle beast in the Chathams with a .25-06 and a 120gr speer grand slam 1 shot to the neck at 40m game over.
    Barry the hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper90 View Post
    No problem with a .270 just pick your shot and get close. Shot a wild cattle beast in the Chathams with a .25-06 and a 120gr speer grand slam 1 shot to the neck at 40m game over.
    yeah agree 270 fine even in behind shoulder just make sure you have rifle well zeroed for a front on head shot dont shoot to high frontal head shot middle of forehead use 150 grain
    Micky Duck and Scott Cowan like this.

Don't use ballistic tips or target projectiles you need penetration. Good old cup and core/sp are best.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Get to know the makeup up a bull's head, and where the weak spots are (behind ear when quartering away from you, in through ear canal when side on, etc etc). Then make sure you are happy at being very accurate with the intended load. Just blazing away in behind the front shoulder on a big animal will fill the meat with adrenaline.

Go for the "dropped like a sack of spuds" shot, and get up there pronto and bleed it out
    Got-ya and dannyb like this.

Ring Tyrone Southward, the taxidermist in Dunsandel and ask him about decking one with a 270. Think he would have preferred much bigger at the time.

Been involved and shot heaps of them.
    A 375 h&h as they get pretty toey with bullets in them and tend to come looking for the aggressor if you can't get a lethal shot into them.
    I have the t shirt!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    Rich007, Husky1600 and Micky Duck like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I've shot a couple and while not bulls were very heavy. Both with a 308 using Federal blue box 180g. Head shots 80 or 90m at most. I think the 223 on red deer analogy is a good one.
    Micky Duck likes this.

.303 brit at 100yards works through chest into shoulder....my old man wasnt too impressed with my shot placement,silly young scrub bull was in with our cows,close enough to track and I liked beef steak so bugger it I says,down he goes. at most he stayed on feet for 20 seconds and didnt travel uphill away from track. agree wounding one could be dangerous and WE ALL WANT HUMAINE quick kills.