Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Wild pork

NRT
    Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    I'm an avid wild pork cannibal,,eat it at least twice a week.I shit you not

A real old pic..The pig mobile..
    Great photo ,way cool

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Pork dropped on the spot will always out way pork that's been dogged and chased over any distance in my opinion.
    Same goes for most wild game..younger mostly always rules when it comes to tender eh. Tough pigs make darn great small goods all the same.
    deer243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    Great photo ,way cool

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
    Cheers there bud...I was behind the camera at the time...the hands on the hips crack me up.
    Great thread Tentman...

Without a doubt, I agree mate
    Growing up in Aus we had a lot of opportunity to eat wild pork. Everybody shot them Nobody ate them..
    They ate rotten sheep, rotten gut shot roos and other assorted carrion.
    Here in NZ the pigs have a great range of fresh green feed and simply taste so much better.!
    Moa Hunter likes this.

The last wild pork I ate was a boar, dogged in the pines in cricket season on the coromandel. That was 25 years ago and I haven't touched it since!
    ANOTHERHUNTER likes this.

I took this lot up to “feed” the feral pigs a few weeks ago. Western Ruapehu.

I won’t eat them from this particular area. They taste like shit. Just the thought of what they’ve been eating gives me worms.

Name:  A0CA5557-C95E-4F87-8729-32935A299F44.jpeg
Views: 248
Size:  1.01 MB

But the purely grass and native fed pigs that I shoot from time to time here in the northern Kaimais (no pines near here) taste like the best damn pork you’ll ever eat.

So yeah, the answer is yes, @Tentman.
    Just...say...the...word

BTW that trailer load was gone - literally - in less than 36 hours.
    Just...say...the...word

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Dropped some venison off today to my butcher for salamis. I asked Tony about Wild Pork for salamis, absolutely worth the effort of doing it.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Bos
    Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Tentman, you're not wrong about regional diffferences in taste.Even in Marlborough I notice different taste between Northbank and South side of Wairau, Molesworth and lower Awatere also different. Always just put it down to what they're eating. Doesn't matter where you get wild pork it generally tastes better than a lot of the supermarket crap.
    Yip for sure
    Depends on what they're eating, and that can depend on what the season is like. Like Pigs that live in the Pines can be pretty average compared with pigs that are living in the the scrub and feeding on pasture, but in a dry summer like we've had, even "good" pigs can be in poor nick and pretty rangy.
    If you can afford to be a bit choosy about which pigs you shoot and eat, then your meals of wild pork should be good.
    Young pork ribs marinated in honey and soy-sauce - bloody beautiful!!
    Moa Hunter and woods223 like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Without a doubt wold pork can taste quite different from different areas. From someone thats eaten wild pork for over 30 years i have noticed wild pork
    does taste much better now than years gone by. Murchison pigs have always been the best, more fat, weight more in size compared to other areas and taste brilliant.
    Pigs down the sounds used to taste crap, skinny and not great eating. Now, with many areas having escapees from farms, released pigs from other hunters etc the pigs
    are just better all round in most areas.
    Shot pigs are better than dogged pigs in taste as well. Sows taste a little better but had many a good boar thats been pretty darn good.
    Have met a couple of people from the North island that swear after tasting south island pigs they a heap better.
    My GF comes from up North, she wouldnt eat wild pork because she thought it was crap.
    When she tried some of the ones ive shot she loves it, generally around here the wild pig is getting tamer and tamer in taste as the years go on.
    Prob by so many farm pigs breeding with wild ones as years ago hunters releaseing pigs into the bush was going on everywhere and still happens today, esp on private blocks.
    I have shot a serious lot of pigs from Murch and agree they are pretty much always in good order - but - beware the Ferny boars. When big pigs eat Bracken Fern roots all winter they get a real bad taint and a boar roast will drive everyone out of the house with the stink. A good solution is to get a butcher to do the back lets of a boar into hams and cook them yourself when you want one. If they are raw from the Butcher they can be frozen and kept and then slow baked in an oven bag to cook them. Grass fed pigs from Canterbury are very good and maybe Otago grass and berry pigs are the best. If they are on dry grass in the late summer they can eat grass seeds and that 'finishes' them like grain in a sty

57JL
    wild pork in a camp oven is a nice way to eat it just place the pork on green teatree sticks with the bark peeled off in the bottom of the camp oven then place the pork on top make sure the meat is not wet (pat it dry with handy towels) then put it on a gas ring or embers from a fire and cook it slowly then you can put spuds, kumara ect on top when it is half cooked then your greens on top half an hour before its cooked meat cooks in its own juice and smokes for a start till the juices stop that happening you can do other meats like this as well lamb chicken beef veno is good veno and some beef cuts can dry out abit so put tinfoil around them or on top if this happens and don,t forget low heat is best Bonaparte
    doinit, Moa Hunter and Sarvo like this.

Otago tussock pigs are excellent, as were a couple i shot up in the Gowan Valley. Others not so much
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Pigs from pureora in the winter that have been eating a lot of miro berries are the best pork you will eat.
    57jl and Moa Hunter like this.

Pine pigs that are fat on Huhu bugs after rooting up rotten pine stumps are pretty dam tasty.
    Moa Hunter likes this.