Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: That wonderful sound

That wonderful sound

Of grass being pulled and chewed, I was supposed to be going out with one of my work mates but as it was my last hunting pass for a while I bailed and went to a spot thats been playing on my mind a bit lately.

I left the truck on the dark side of dawn and trotted off at pace to get where I wanted to be by daylight. I quick scout of my vantage point and found a posy facing the wind and overlooking a scruby gully full of toitoi and punga. Sat down and surveyed the gully, nothing to be seen but from time to time I could hear a bit of a rustle in the bushes but the wind an fog made it impossible to pin point where the noise was coming from, I coldnt tell if it was 20m or 200m away. After about half an hour of listening I moved across about 10m to get a better veiw of the base of the gully, still nothing to be seen and the wind was giving me a serious chill.

I was starting to think even if I catch a glimpse of this animal theres no way I shoot the bugger shaking like this let alone the numb hands. But before long the wind died down, the shivering stopped and I regained feeling in my hands and now the sounds were more constant and defined, it suddenly dawned on me that the source was closer rather than further. There was grass being pulled and chewed, flappy ear head shakes and sneezes, it was becoming clear that there was a animal in close proximity totally oblivious to my presence. My heart pounding I slowly stood up, only making it to a high crouch to see the rump of a deer not more than 50m below me, it pushed out of the scrub to reveal itself as a young hind, I lowered to one knee and lined up on her shoulder and BOOMFA, she rolled down into the scrub.

It was the first time Ive really carried the full animal any distance it was probably about a km back to the truck through scrub, I was lucky enough to get the climb out of the way at the start. I learnt a very important lesson at this stage, carrying a deer in a singlet with sun burnt shoulders sucks the kumara...Big time. Now I know theres nothing spectacular about a wee hind but bearing in mind Ive devoted a lot of time to this sport over the last 6 years and this is the 4th animal Ive bought home I had a fair buzz on.

I was met at the gate by my 3yr old boy "you shoot some turkeys dad?" "not this time buddy I got a deer" "YOU GOT A DEER??!!! (runs to mum) DAD GOT A DEER!!!" he comes running back "IS IT A BIG ONE!!??" "ah yea I guess so.."(popped the back of the suzuki open) "WHOOAA CAN I SHOOT A DEER DAD!!??" "sure buddy"

Most excellent

One question - did you carry it 1km without gutting it?

Careful, it sounds like you have a young hunter to show the ropes and drag your old arse around when your older.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Most excellent

One question - did you carry it 1km without gutting it?
    haha no way, left those bits behind
    Last edited by big_foot; 30-11-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Careful, it sounds like you have a young hunter to show the ropes and drag your old arse around when your older.
    yea his little face lit up when I told him one day he'll have his great grandfathers rifle, his grand fathers rifle as well as what ever I accumulate
    GWH, 308 and Rusky like this.

Well done

Was she in milk?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Excellent work big_foot.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Good stuff bigfoot
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

If he is not at the shed in morning VC I don't think he would give a stuff.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Well done

Was she in milk?
    Na I had a pretty good veiw and even though pretty uneducated on the subject she appeared to young/small to be pregy
    veitnamcam likes this.

Great result Bigfoot....good decision mate mate!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

awesome work mate, its nice having a wee un keen to do something you love doing.

Great short read! Love the last paragraph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WICKED man had my 3yo helping me clean my rifle last weekend gotta start them early
    stingray likes this.
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

Quote Originally Posted by Dynastar27 View Post
    WICKED man had my 3yo helping me clean my rifle last weekend gotta start them early
    thats the one bro, mine help me with reloading