Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Steven708

Thread: Wood hill block 2

Wood hill block 2

I’m a plus 1 for Woodhill block 2 on Sunday and wondered if there was any info on the block?

Conscious that I haven’t done the intro thread first so here goes - Papakura based done bit of hunting in the central north island mainly. Refugee from the old fish n hunt forum and put the odd post up on here. Started late with the hunting and definitely don’t go out as much as I should - looking forward to spring that’s for sure.

Drive a computer for work drink coffee talk shit with people who think they do a hard job.It’s an air conditioned office and the heaviest thing we pick up is the phone - or medium flat white.

Running a 7-08 as my bush gun and have picked up a 300 win mag for the longer stuff.

Plenty already on here.
    Google earth the block and find the cutovers.
    Listen to the WFMC guys they always have good advice.

Get high and sit tight, watch the cutover or any clearings, open areas or very young growth.
    Old story first hour in the mornings good. Last couple hours in the evening.

I’m from hunua and a refugee so welcome.
    Pretty sure I had block 2 about 5 years ago. Was a small block. Had plenty of deer. Mate and I got 1 each by nailing them as they crossed the roads in evening as they headed out to farms to graze.

Thanks LH. & Maddog. Was google earthing but wasn’t sure if the tree state seen was similar. Will find out Sunday.

I happen to be going block 2 also I a few weeks, wouldn't mind an update on how you do!

Walking my rifle
    I had it a few years back, no real tips other than what's already above. we got a pig and a deer just walking down the main track, pig ran across the road so i smoked it and then a deer jumped out and my mate smoked it. bumped into several deer just on the tracks later in the day too
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Had a good day out in block 2 yesterday. Wind was a frustration - strong easterly with gale force gusts through to lunchtime.
    , made it noisy as and set the winds swirling through the trees.
    Lots of tall ish trees that haven’t been silvicultured so no long natural shooting lanes. Ground undulates more than you think looking at the map with most sign to the north east and south east.
    There didn’t look to be too much feed in much of the block but I don’t know if that is typical of the area.
    Got a nice boar 80-90 lb and saw a doe whilst carrying the pig out - it was on the other side of the gully that we’d started down and couldn’t get a shot. I’d say afternoon was a more productive time.
    erniec and Lauries Hut like this.