Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree195Likes

Thread: WorkSafe: hunting on farmland

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    White hat, ear muffs, hi vis, safety boots, eye protection, a pen and clipboard?
    Gotta be a man from the council inspecting something!
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    Walking Access Commission are about to put out a new factsheet for landowners simplifying and clarifying for farmers and recreational users tramping, fishing and hunting through or on their land. I've seen a draft and its good.
    Because there's a lot of Doc controlled hunting blocks you can't access without crossing private property.

I've enjoyed reading this over breakfast....
    Some pretty far fetched ideas of what's going on.
    We have hunters on the block basically everyday.
    Listen to what the cocky says.
    Sign the paper job done.
    Those of you coming to Tobys shoot will have to sign the same bit of paper job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum, Tahr, Proudkiwi and 6 others like this.

Fuck me can you send me a copy of said paper in advance? I'll get my lawyer to check it over! It better not include sex! ahh some sanity!
    tetawa, mikee and BRADS like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

It is great you dont have a problem with it Brads but unfortunately a number of farmers will just go ah fuck it its too hard nobody is allowed on the property job done.
    scottrods likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Soooooooooooo if Nibblet cuts the fuk out of his thumb by being careless with a knife whilst hunting for a deer on Brads farm that he's paid for, then shorely under the new HS rules Brads is liable or at least could face a penalty. Pray it isn't so but that's the impression I have. We are all fuked if this is to be the case.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    And does Brads need to fill out an incident form. Can of worms
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    It is great you dont have a problem with it Brads but unfortunately a number of farmers will just go ah fuck it its too hard nobody is allowed on the property job done.
    Farmers have people coming onto there properties constantly.
    Shearers, ag workers, possum trappers etc
    So we can't put in the the to hard basket.
    We had to pay some weird bearded man that where's socks and sandals to draw up a plan thingy
    Actually it's more like a book!
    Anyhow there's my veiw on it.
    Most cockies I no that let hunters on will now get you sign something and off ya go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Beaker like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkm View Post
    Hi all

This was something that has been suggested to us for our contractors to complete before coming on farm - FarmPass | National Safety Register Whether or not it will be adopted more widely by the farming community is an unknown. It is not an insurance policy but any stretch but is a bit of ass covering for the landowner/manager if something does go sideways.

I have been suggesting to our regular hunters (who hunt on other properties as well) that they look into it too as, at the very least, they can then show the certificate to other farmers where they hunt and demonstrate they have some knowledge of their requirements under the new HnS laws when on farm (but again this will depend on uptake i the wider farm community).

Being on the farm management side of the fence I will be curious to know what you all think.
    Just done that. Awesome thanks.
    Maca49 likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Michael Woodhouse says everything is ok, so I guess it is....

No changes to hunting from health and safety | The Gisborne Herald

RECREATIONAL ACCESS AND THE NEW WORKPLACE SAFETY LAWS
    A GUIDE FOR FISH & GAME LICENCE HOLDERS AND FARMERS
    Prepared in consultation with Work Safe
    May 2016

The new workplace safety legislation came into effect this month and is aimed at providing New Zealand workers with a safe workplace and reducing the present high level of death and injuries in some sectors.

Unfortunately, the often uninformed debate over the new law has raised fears among the rural sector about the implications of the new legislation and in particular, landowners’ liabilities. Some of that concern is focussed on recreational access to farms and forests, with landowners questioning if they should close all access.

In a rare move, Federated Farmers and Fish & Game joined forces last year to ask Parliament to ensure the legislation did not inadvertently restrict recreational access to farms and forests.

The Select Committee which considered the issue took those concerns into account in its report and the final legislation which was passed by Parliament placed some limitations around farmers’ requirements to manage and control a workplace.

The practical effect is that these requirements do not apply in respect of other people (for example recreational users) coming onto farm land, apart from the farm buildings and places where work is being carried out at the time.

Fish & Game has also worked with Work Safe to make sure that recreational access is preserved and that organisation has been helpful in clarifying questions and providing advice.

Fish & Game staff is being asked by both hunters and farmers to clarify the current confusion. The following bullet points provide ready answers to the main points of concern.

The new law clarifies the scope of duties to manage or control a workplace in the case of farms. Farmers have a duty to manage workplace risks in farm buildings and their immediate surroundings and where work is actually being carried out on the farm, not the whole property.
    The Act clarifies that the farm workplace does not include the family home.
    Farmers are responsible for managing risks they can reasonably be expected to be able to control.
    Where a visitor like a hunter, angler or tramper is on a part of the farm not being used for work purposes at that time and isn’t close to any farm buildings, then the farmer does not have a duty to them for any risk arising from the farm. However, there is still a general duty to ensure risks arising from work activities on the farm are managed, so far as is reasonably practicable, so workers and the general public are kept safe.

Gamebird hunters, anglers and farmers are reassured that the new law does not affect, prevent or compromise their access to farms and forests.

Fish & Game supports the new law as protecting both workers and New Zealand’s long and treasured tradition of access to the outdoors through farms and forests.
    Federated Farmers says it is encouraging farmers to make their land available for recreation. Federated Farmers’ Health and Safety spokesperson Katie Milne says fishing and hunting is an integral part of the culture of New Zealand rural life.
    Work Safe is supportive of Fish & Game’s interests in this area and its field staff are up to speed with the issue of recreational access.
    The law makes it clear that the duty to manage and control a workplace doesn’t extend to people who are there for unlawful purposes.
    These links on the Work Safe website will also help answer questions about the new law:
    Farming health and safety myths busted – Safer Farms
    Farming and the Health and Safety at Work Act – Safer Farms

If you are going on forest land to hunt with a rifle and or dogs you will need written permission from the forest owner beforehand. Any right to roam provisions don’t extend to hunting access.

Some forest owners will withhold permission unless the hunter is a Fish & Game licence holder, or a member of the Deerstalkers Association or a local pig hunting club which carries Forest and Rural Fires insurance coverage.
    scottrods likes this.

So how does rugby get on? They're in paid employment, with an employer, or contracted. I take it covered by ACC they smash each other up on purpose, no hard hats, eye protection etc, some die, some just paralysed. But it's ok? Now all I want to do is go hunting,
    tetawa and Beaker like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

So how does rugby get on? They're in paid employment, with an employer, or contracted. I take it covered by ACC they smash each other up on purpose, no hard hats, eye protection etc, some die, some just paralysed. But it's ok? Now all I want to do is go hunting,
    Ah but thats "different"
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

WHY? If you let a dangerous sport like rugby thru, you need to to let all recreational sports thru? Is there a case for discrimination, I find it a bit of a double standard
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

WHY? If you let a dangerous sport like rugby thru, you need to to let all recreational sports thru? Is there a case for discrimination, I find it a bit of a double standard
    Because Rugby is considered a religion here so only God knows why its exempt
    Maca49 and nevereadyfreddy like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.