Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 12 Post By Larskramer
  • 2 Post By Larskramer

Thread: yearling spiker and first for the 2020 year

yearling spiker and first for the 2020 year

Was the morning after lockdown ended for us hunters, had been out the night before to a spot in wairarapa, and it got busy so we headed for the next rangers up, ( lower ruahines to be exact ). Upon showing up at spot x a little late, we decided to put on the jet oil and make a hot cuppa. After enjoying a nice coffee each, and 1/3)2 hour in the sum and nice looking yearling spiker popped his head out into the sunny slope 228m away from our location. It would of been my first long range shot for my 308 since developing a load.
    Luckily I knew the load was pushing 2400fps, and popped it into strelok and added the distance, 11 clicks up kn the leica 2-10@50, and lined him up and squeezed the trigger, double king shot and dropped him on the spot, the slope was pretty vertical so could only manage a few piccies.
    After a 1.5 hour climb I spotted the corpse, boned the back legs and head and popped them into the eberlestock the one pack, and had to drag the other half of him up another 100m of sheer slope. After another hour if dragging, I was on my descend and was back at the truck with the whole thing before 3PM. And home before 5pm.

Great day out and the meat was superb.

Somthing wrong with pics. Will upload shortly.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Larskramer; 22-05-2020 at 08:57 PM.
    Tahr, Brian, tikka and 9 others like this.

Nice mate got to be happy with that. If the spot ya went to in the wairarapa is the one I’m thinking of then the secrets well out there compared to 5 years ago.

What load are ya running in your 308 to have that reduced velocity?

Haha your right, every spot is out there to everyone now eh. I find even busy spots are quite good mid week when everyones at work
    I'm running a short barrell , 178g eldx, hornady brass, and vent n150 powder
    Matt-P.Nth and takbok like this.