Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: $1000-1500 hunting setup

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Get a grip!
    I'm proud as hell of my tikkas!
    I tell ya one thing, bring what ya like and try and out shoot mine at distance.
    Just saying

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    that's not a fair fight cause I heard you're a ninja

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    that's not a fair fight cause I heard you're a ninja
    I dont look like a ninja but every now and again shoot like one!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    stevodog likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Banned
    Huntfisheat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesyd View Post
    I guess end of the day i do want the best rifle for the money, so maybe should consider a Tikka. A shortened barrel .308 with a nice suppressor would do the job
    Mate don’t buy a Tikka if YOU don’t like them regardless of what anyone else says. There’s plenty of other accurate rifles out there that you’ll enjoy the look and feel of. They aren’t lasers or miles ahead of the competition

Last thing you want is to hold your first rifle and think “fuck this is ugly”, it’ll be back on here for sale before you know it if you do!
    outlander likes this.

Of course you would out shoot the rifles I'm generally using.
    I'd be a little concerned if you couldn't out shoot a 303 martini enfield and a winchester 1892 44-40.

If it makes you feel better, I prefer Tikkas to Rogers and Remington. Now to sit back and open the pop corn.

We all have different preferences and likes. It would be a boring place if we only had one rifle brand to choose from
    timattalon and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Thats meat and potatoes right there.
    Steve123 likes this.

I'm a big Ruger fan, considering a M77 mk2. Not a fan of the newer American rifles, do the job, but nice stuff out there for less
    Steve123 likes this.

Banned
    I would pick a 270 over a 308 myself but regardless of that have you considered a controlled feed action. For a first rifle a Parker Hale Safari is very hard to beat. Controlled feed Mauser, which means that it is easy to load a round completely silently from the magazine. What this means is that the rifle can be carried with an empty chamber until just before shooting. That is important especially for a new hunter who hasnt refined their safe firearm carry skills completely.

I would go for a better brand scope. It does matter. Look at Redfield or even an entry level Leupold. Both 100% rugged and reliable right at the bottom of their price points. 2-7x32 is good and more tolerant of budget construction than bigger higher mag models.

Also get good rings like leupold or burris not no name shop package specials. They are a small part of the total rifle cost but have big leverage to ensure reliable performance.
    Puffin and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesyd View Post
    I guess end of the day i do want the best rifle for the money, so maybe should consider a Tikka. A shortened barrel .308 with a nice suppressor would do the job
    I think it’s sensible not to discount a Tikka. You say that you don’t really like the look of them, fair enough but you won’t find many visual master pieces at that price point. The design brief for a mid range rifle is to cater for the needs of the average consumer with a limited budget i.e. decent accuracy and durability, a stock designed to fit Joe Average, and acceptable aesthetics. The Tikka meets those requirements pretty damn well so it’s no surprise that they are so popular. In terms of “shooting enjoyment” I can’t say I’ve ever been disappointed with a Tikka: accurate, great triggers, a good stock, smooth bolt, flawless feeding and extraction; those attributes generally make shooting enjoyable for me...
    6x47 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Manchester View Post
    And once I have my 303 martini scoped, the tikka is out the door
    Sir your comment on cosmetic surgery on the martini border on blasphemy! The martini action performs best with iron or express sights.
    What next a picatinny rail to replace the piling hook, a bipod instead of a bayonet lug and a pistol grip instead of the lever.
    I await the results with trepidation.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Sir your comment on cosmetic surgery on the martini border on blasphemy! The martini action performs best with iron or express sights.
    What next a picatinny rail to replace the piling hook, a bipod instead of a bayonet lug and a pistol grip instead of the lever.
    I await the results with trepidation.
    fair call if it was a genuine Martini Enfield.
    Instead it was a box of parts consisting of a martini enfield action, a stock with hand calved owners initials and a lee enfield barrel.

All for the grand price of $200

now to try and post a photo of my intentionsName:  SmartSelect_20201114-101009_Chrome.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  230.8 KB
    Last edited by Manchester; 14-11-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    erniec, Marty Henry and outlander like this.

This all you need, marlin x7 with leupold 4x for 700 cant go wrong.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...304fb6234d-002

get a leupold vx freedom with a howa and you will be under $1500, granted thats without a supressor but better glass is more important then a suppressor right of the bat imo, sure get something threaded
    Steve123 and Jamesyd like this.

get a used gun and you will still have money for a supressor, still under $1500
    Moa Hunter likes this.