Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: $1000-1500 hunting setup

Just contact them and ask what they can do for you.

Why specifically .308? I love mine but there are tonnes of options for easily available factory ammo out there for the 7mm08 also (although I have never owned one so can't comment on good/bad but realistically any calibre over .223 and maybe .243 for first rifle probably do the job just as well)

As for the fore end flex mentioned it is not really that bad and is easily remedied if you feel the need to.
    timattalon and Micky Duck like this.

Don't buy a POS scope if you want to shoot 400m with a 308 and factory ammo. Cheap rifle, second hand and buy a good scope. Rambo has a spare Nikon 4-16 monarch which is amazing. Whack that on a 308, good factory ammo or reloads and 400m will be a walk in the park with a bit of practice

Jamesyd...I'll lend you some nice glass that's done me well....have a play wi it and concentrate on buying a nice rifle....I'll be in touch
    Timmay, Nick-D, Micky Duck and 5 others like this.

G.C ^^^^

Confused yet mate? I vote you buy a bow and arrow. Saves having to think about which rifle to buy.

But really the howas are sweet, stocks a bit soft but otherwise they are mint. Not going to make fuck all difference if your shooting of the pack but can be annoying shooting with a bipod.

Tikkas are a better base rifle imo, but only just. Little bit slicker little bit lighter and the stock is a better platform.

Throw a wtb up in the buy and sell and see what pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Don't buy a POS scope if you want to shoot 400m with a 308 and factory ammo. Cheap rifle, second hand and buy a good scope. Rambo has a spare Nikon 4-16 monarch which is amazing. Whack that on a 308, good factory ammo or reloads and 400m will be a walk in the park with a bit of practice
    I have no idea how much shooting you have done, may be a very accomplished rifleman (or woman for that matter).

But, and I may be teaching you to suck eggs, being as it is the first rifle don't even consider 400m shots. 400m is a loooonnnggg fucken way.

@Preacher probably should clarify, this definitely isn't my first rifle. But up till now, have mainly done range shooting, and rabbit/possum shooting. This is my first hunting specific rifle. Moving to a farm next year, with wild deer all over it, and most shots will be within 100-200 from what I've seen/been told. But i 100% agree, I won't be even trying for 300-400m shots until I'm comfortable with the rifle/scope setup.

A second hand rifle will save you a lot of money to put into your scope, rings and ammo. I recommend buying second hand too.
    I suggest choosing one less than 10 years old as then you will be in the “sold on for no real good reason” category. Some older rifles can need a lot of attention to get shooting / feeding well or fixing other annoying “features” that can sap the patience of even an enthusiast. Specially a problem with a wood stock can be hard to sort out. But most second hand rifles will perform just fine.

Im talking here about getting 5-10cm groups at 100m, for a beginner shooter using whatever scope and a makeshift rest like a simple sandbag. This equates to shooting deer or goats up to about 150m in hunting conditions.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Banned
    Good looking stainless marlin 270 on here for 550 scoped. These are good shooters and 270ammo is plentiful. Chopped to 19-20" with a suppressor will make it a handy carry and a pussy to shoot well.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

WTF????? farm rifle DO NOT CUT IT DOWN... put suppressor on it for sure,easier on everythings ears,but you dont need short for gun that will be used from quad/truck or carried across paddock.....
    as for how far can you ETHICALLY shoot deer..as far as you can CONSISTANTLY hit a 2-3ltr milk bottle...cause thats about size of deers vitals....
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesyd View Post
    I guess end of the day i do want the best rifle for the money, so maybe should consider a Tikka. A shortened barrel .308 with a nice suppressor would do the job
    I agree - wouldn't shorten the barrel for farmland hunting. Wait and see if you get into the Kaimai supplejack or Ruahine leatherwood before you do that. People less than about 1.6m tall will do better starting with a shorter rifle but take an inch off the butt before the barrel. A long rifle feels better, is easier to shoot and has a bit more velocity.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    I wax and wane with suppressors. Makes rifle nice to shoot but shit balance if not chopped. Currently i'm in a non suppressor phase but thinking about chopping the 7mm08.
    I was on a farm spotlighting at the weekend shooting a boar @80m offhand. Not all farm hunting is watching crop or bush edge @200m

This is a pretty good looking deal that is in line with what you are wanting:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2865818164

Sent from my SM-J600G using Tapatalk
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Banned
    Scope mag is too big to do any stalking with