Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: $1600 what rifle would you buy?

Im just saying that no one will tell me what to buy. Im just after good sound advise on what is out there for the money i want to spend without it turning into a shit fight about certain guns.
    The statement wasnt made in anger or anything like that so whats the issue with me saying it will be my decision in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Malhunting View Post
    No ones telling me what to buy fullstop! all advise has been great so far and i hope it keeps coming, I like the Titan it looks great and i don't buy rifles considering the resale value if i buy a rifle its generally for keeps. Everyones got Tikkas they are as common as dog shit in my back yard and i already have a re worked Tikka in 22-243 so why would i want another.
    I dont want a cheaper rifle like a Tikka, Howa, i want to spend $1600 for a good rifle that i can hand to my boys later on so the Titan and X-Bolt are high on the list the Remington Mountain rifle is out and i have yet to see a Winny Extreme Weather.
    Hey Mate, if you wanting something that is a bit different to what everyone else has and a beauty of a rifle, have a look at the cz 550s, I am trying to replace all my rifles now with czs, 2 down 2 to go!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Yeah the T3 tikka is safe bet. I personally find them very accurate, reliable and boring as hell. Ill generally recommend one for a guy looking to get his first rifle but I think sometimes guys that have been around the traps a bit just want something a little different and sometimes things aren't popular simply because we are a predominately a nation of sheep. Im not recommending Malhunting buy a titan, just telling him how i found the one i had.
    +1! Tikka T3, the Toyota Corolla of rifles! Reliable as hell and just plain work, but not very interesting
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

AB Precision
    Id get the rem700 in a plain old 308 since a bush gun. It wouldn't be shooting far, chop it right back an a can be sorted. In a few years you will be wondering why do i have a tops rifle an a bush gun an say ill do a all rounder then you have a couple of nice remington700s to build a weapon out of
    L.R likes this.

I have yet to eye ball a CZ yet as well just looking at the reloaders site now and they might push the budget a bit.

It would only be a bush rifle for me but come time for the boys to shoot would be an all rounder for them.
    It was suggested to make a bush pig in a Tikka with a can and i would bed it etc but the concern then becomes weight once you chuck a can on etc over a stock standard rifle.
    The more this thread continues the more confused i get.

Why not just get a stainless 308 Marlin and put a good light can on it and it will do the boy and you at a good price....
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

...the concern then becomes weight once you chuck a can on etc over a stock standard rifle.
    The more this thread continues the more confused i get.
    Start with a Savage Lightweight Hunter then, chuck a DPT can on and it will still weigh less than a bare T3 as well as being more interesting. Similar rep for accuracy too.

Name:  SavageLightweightHunter65Creedmoorlength.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  142.1 KB

That looks quite nice is it yours?

Great thread to read,

Im confused as well.

I look at a SS Howa and T3 lite at $1k odd and for a bush gun I think a great deal. I then sort of start to talk myself up in money and then before you know it Im approaching $2k and Im thinking for a bush gun? For $2.3k I could and probably will buy a savage12 FTR so the extra above a T3 lite is put towards something I really want (an FTR). Meanwhile I can pop the T3lite or howa down the range at <600yds and enjoy myself.

which really is all its about

That looks quite nice is it yours?
    Nah just a pic from google. I have a Savage American Classic 223 which is a bit heavier (7lb, same as Rem700 SPS etc), was thinking about a lightweight but saw the classic for $750 brand new (original shop RRP would have been 14-1500 when they came out) and couldn't say no. The wood on mine isn't quite as nice as that pic but great action and trigger, best initial test load grouped 16mm so its showing some accuracy potential too.

Think you're local to me so if you want to have a look and see if you like the action etc feel free to send a PM.

Have a look under the fore end on those, dont they have huge gaping holes?

if you were to chop the barrel back to make a bush pig out of the tikka, flute the barrel and bolt, it wouldnt make it too much heavier i dont think.

just thinking out loud but if its to be kept in the family and passed down what about something with some heritage? Bsa viscount or majestic or the likes. They come up occasionaly and can be tidied up very nicely.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Personal taste I guess but if I was to inherit a passed-down rifle I think I'd prefer a 'grandad bought this new and its never been out of the family' rather than a 'grandad bought this second hand when it was already old'. Each to their own though, there are some nice older guns around as you say.