Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: 1:8 vs 1:12 in 223

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Now that's a mental picture. .223 vs ferret!

Video or it never happened
    No video alas.

Micky Duck, mimms2 and schwen like this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Old our for a fast twist or just buy a howa with the 1-9

Mine is cut down to 16" and will shoot the belmont black 77grn into silly little groups, definitely gives the carbonlite a run for its money accuracy wise
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Old our for a fast twist or just buy a howa with the 1-9

Mine is cut down to 16" and will shoot the belmont black 77grn into silly little groups, definitely gives the carbonlite a run for its money accuracy wise
    do they go alright on game?

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    My current .223 is a Sako 75 1-8 twist, shoots lighter bullets well (.50)and the 75gr/77 gr aren't as good, (1") or so. all previous .223 were 1-12.
    for general hunting with in 250m or so, i don't think there much difference, a non varmint bullet 55-65gr will get it done,
    Try the 60 partition, 64gr Winchester soft point 70gr Speer or the Serria 62, 63gr or 65gr,
    All my 1-12 twist rifles shot the partition, and 63gr Serrria good enough for hunting.
    Grab that Winchester, they are great rifle, and no longer made in .223, if your not happy with it, it sell easy or get a 6x45 (.223), barrel spun on.
    Exactly southernman, those are the pills I used & worked up to when I was shooting Deer to sell, even in my 222Rem (70gr grouped a little larger in a couple but still useable on big game) the 64gr Winchester was very good from the machine, went to that after loading up a heap of 63gr Sierras & was amazed on the killing power, so were the other shooters, saying was like using a .243 on the body shots/hits (so not saying much lol) .

I was out walking with my open sighted Rem 25 in 32/20 & could see a Rabbit moving strangely across a corner of the paddock heading for a log, like side ways, as it turned out being carried by a Buck Stoat & I plugged him with the 32/20 ---my Stoat Gun !

Not the same ring to it !
    Joe_90 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    do they go alright on game?
    have only used them on small game but i wouldnt hesitate to try them on goats or deer from the performance on hares and rabbets and magpies open up nice and smash right through a hare, I know a guy who has used them on goats with great success
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

My 1:12 tikka M595 loves 50gr Vmax, and is average with 55gr.
    I can put 5x 50gr into a wee fingernail size cloverleaf at 100m.
    55gr about 20-25mm.
    55gr SP, 1.5 inches
    mimms2 likes this.

My 1:8 does not shoot projectiles below 55 grains well at all. 55 and above, inc the high bc range types to 80+ grains. exceptional though.

1:12 shoot 40-65s (short old school designs - Speer etc) well.

For general small and medium game you can make either work.
    mimms2 likes this.

Well I've been well informed, much appreciated. Here's hoping no one else snaps it up before I get the chance to look at it on saturday.

It's not suppressed, 21" barrel, if I was to put a suppressor on it (not straight away), will have a play 1st. What would you cut it down to ? I would put a dpt on it at some point

If you don't need to cut it, don't.
    More barrel=more velo. If you're shooting factory, that is what it is. If you're handloading then you can compensate somewhat.
    Why do you want a supressor? It's a feckn .223
    A .223 can still damage both a persons and a dogs hearing.
    berg243 likes this.

True, but they've recently invented these 0.40¢ things called earplugs. Supersonic is supersonic so unless you're literally shooting over your dog, the dB to the earhole is much the same.
    I wouldn't shoot even a supressed one without hearing pro.
    Don't get me wrong. There are many valid reasons for a supressor, I was curious as to why the OP wanted one.
    In time it would be used over my dog (work in progress) and mainly for piece of mind, for myself and my dog

yes mine is suppressed and I left barrel at full length and have never regretted doing so....
    never regretted making it quieter either....and hunting wallabies,earplugs DONT work..we often hear them well before we see them....
    schwen likes this.