Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is 10x Enough?

The Original Striker
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    What do you mean? What is the difference between real Mark 4's and the one I linked? Is it just the turrets being target style rather then Tactical?

I was also thinking of getting the VX3 version of the same and getting the custom shop to put a target elevation turret and finger adjust windage turret but I think cost works out about the same. Once a mildot reticle is added.

Striker. How much are you chasing for yours?
    Probberly around the $900 mark or so.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Hmmmm... Mildot or Duplex?

The Original Striker
    Duplex
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Squashed like a Flea
    G'Day Fella's,

Probably a bit late of me to be getting into this thread but my two main spotlighting rifles, both have fixed 10x scopes on them.

The Tikka LSA55 in .222 has an old steel Weaver T-10, 10x target scope and my Rem 700 .223 has a Swarovski 10 x 42 on it.
    These rifles are also my day time, short to medium range varmint rifles.
    These scopes are just right, for the type of shooting/sniping that I use them for!

Hope that helps

Doh!
    Homer

Didn't Tussock have a Leupy 3.5-10 on his 6.5 Lapua to start with?

Tussock how did you find 10x as a max magnification? I guess a .260 has a similar effective range as the Lapua so your help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Normie, if it's any help, I have two VX3's well one is a VX111, 4.5x14 LR that I got leupold to put M1 Turrets on before I bought it, IE the retailer, Once "The Optic Zone" and second time "The Rifle Scope Store" sent the scopes to Leupold for the work to be done before they sent them to me, neither store charged me for doing this .
    The rifle scope store understood about GST.
    Both scopes have performed with out a hitch.

It's a cheaper option than a MK4 but of course they are not MK4's, and you may well prefer that. The saving grace is I don't have to have that big 50mm lens

Thank you everybody for your replies. I think I'll stick with my original idea of the Sightron. I'll just have to get good with it. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Thank you everybody for your replies. I think I'll stick with my original idea of the Sightron. I'll just have to get good with it. Thanks again.
    Just check the specs on reticle thickness.... The 4.5-14 I had was good but different model may be different

For 10 power to work it needs a fine center so it doesn't block too much of the target... I have the site to check but not the time ATM.... More drainage to do yet....And the bloody track came off the digger so have to fix that yet

The thickness at the centre cross hair is .69" on min power and .23" max power. Your old scope is .31 Min power and .1 max power. So basically twice the thickness. What do you think? Too fat, or will it work?

Bummer about the digger. If I wasn't at the hospital everyday for the past week I'd give you a hand.

mmmmm .23 is hardly fine but then if you do the numbers its not too had,Covers under 1" at 400 yards, 2" at 800. Not great for long range varminting but ok to take a goat etc for as far as you want. For a comparison my old 3-10 grandslam was .2 and it was fine for goats to 400. Reticle size is why I have not got a 6-24 SIII yet, It is fine enough but not as fine as I am used to on most of my other scopes as the are around .13

My 2-7 scope is .29 if you want to look through that for reference

I've found this website a good start point for getting info on target/long distance scopes:

Sniper Central - Scope Reviews

Yeah I will pop in to have a look. Thanks. I'll stop by on my way to the Hospital tonight.

Strangely enough I've found a photo of the Sightron 3.5-10X Mildot Reticle. This photo is with the scope set on 10 power and the house is at 1100m according to the guy that took it.

It seems fine enough for what I'll use it for. What do you all think?

Name:  SIII Mildot.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  80.0 KB

Reticle size aside, I would be pretty doubtful that the house is at 1100 mtrs.