Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: 162gn ELDM Performance

@stagstalker awesome vids.
    stagstalker likes this.

I know the TMK and A Max's shoot same point of impact in my 308 with the same bullet weight

So going off this thread the Eld M's should shoot very similar? I presume? Not that I'm going to run out of TMKs but it's always handy to know

Cooked up one if the deer hearts this morning in butter and crushed garlic. Bloody tasty.

Name:  20200926_095201.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  2.17 MB

Name:  20200926_095357.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  3.53 MB
    Nathan F, Tahr, nzspearo and 5 others like this.

stop it...my gout is playing up just looking at that pan full of yummyness

Ive done the lungs out the otherside thing ,but on wallabies with poohseventy and old school silvertips,actually saw the pink bits fly through scope.250ish yards away,one of the few resting shots we got on the hoppers. I was curious so went down n across gully to see.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Cooked up one if the deer hearts this morning in butter and crushed garlic. Bloody tasty.

Attachment 150094

Attachment 150095

Ohhh I need to do one of the many hearts in my freezer side not they make excellent Stroganoff
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Attachment 150094

Attachment 150095
    Ive shot the odd deer in my time and have never eaten a heart. Not sure why. If Ive needed meat on the same day as Ive shot them Ive used the inside steaks.
    The next deer I shoot (God willing) I will try the heart.

I shot several deer with my (ex now) Saum and the 162 ELDM and they performed just like described here. Out to 425 yards.
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Ive shot the odd deer in my time and have never eaten a heart. Not sure why. If Ive needed meat on the same day as Ive shot them Ive used the inside steaks.
    The next deer I shoot (God willing) I will try the heart.

I shot several deer with my (ex now) Saum and the 162 ELDM and they performed just like described here. Out to 425 yards.
    heart is suprisingly good and yes like the inner fillets you can eat it straight away, Steve Rinella has a good vidoe on youtube on how to prep for cooking
    Steelisreal likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I sacked this yearling this morning at 124m with 162gr ELDM out of my 7mm08.

Name:  Sacked!.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  660.7 KB

Use them exclusively in my 7mm08 (and 7x57). Shot a scrubby 9 point stag at 162m (not kidding), that did the hunched shoulders leap and walk 20m before expiring with a big hole in its off-side (more to do with poor shot placement than anything else). All others have been bang, drop.

My eldest son shot his first deer with the 7mm08 and 162 ELDM at 140m. The pink spray was 'impressive'.
    Nathan F, Tahr, Tikka7mm08 and 4 others like this.

Banned
    Nice straight old rifle there @Pauli. What is it?
    Micky Duck likes this.

It’s really interesting to me how we do things differently down here. To the Europeans, the idea of using a 7mm ELD-M on a red deer is an anathema to them. They can get really shitty with you! There’s also quite a strong community of Americans who really really don’t like using this kind of soft bullet on game. It doesn’t seem to matter what evidence you put in front of these people, they’ll regard you as incompetent / unethical / irresponsible / whatever, no matter what. If it isn’t super-hard bonded / segmented / monolithic, then you’re all kinds of wrong in their eyes.
    Micky Duck and stagstalker like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Nice straight old rifle there @Pauli. What is it?
    Sako - well a bitsa. AII action I bought off a forum member, Sako barrel off TM and I swapped a AI stock for the L579 stock. Reblueing by Allen Carr and stock work by Kevin Gaskill. My go-to rifle for reds.
    Micky Duck and stevodog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    heart is suprisingly good and yes like the inner fillets you can eat it straight away, Steve Rinella has a good vidoe on youtube on how to prep for cooking
    @Tahr my first time myself too. First and last tried in the Kaweka's in 1997 when one of the boys did a Sika heart in brown sugar...never forgot how good it was.
    @dannyb yep I watched the video first haha. Just as well as I would of sliced and cooked the whole heart. Found the heartstrings too...interesting there is some truth to that saying.
    Tahr and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    It’s really interesting to me how we do things differently down here. To the Europeans, the idea of using a 7mm ELD-M on a red deer is an anathema to them. They can get really shitty with you! There’s also quite a strong community of Americans who really really don’t like using this kind of soft bullet on game. It doesn’t seem to matter what evidence you put in front of these people, they’ll regard you as incompetent / unethical / irresponsible / whatever, no matter what. If it isn’t super-hard bonded / segmented / monolithic, then you’re all kinds of wrong in their eyes.
    The thing in Europe is that shot carcasses get sold on the meet market.
    They go through rigorous vet inspection and with any "over damaged" meat you can seeing price cut in half if not more.

The other thing is that with driven Shooting , the shots are not always well placed and they prefer to have a bullet going through to leave an easier blood trail to follow.

While saying that, a friend of mine in France who used to be a hard bullet partisan years ago for driven Shooting is now using a 7x64 162gr sst hornady load and has done marvels with it over the last few year on wild boar. His Last season was 69 animals down with 72 rounds shot.
    Woody and Steve123 like this.

@Tahr my first time myself too. First and last tried in the Kaweka's in 1997 when one of the boys did a Sika heart in brown sugar...never forgot how good it was.
    @dannyb yep I watched the video first haha. Just as well as I would of sliced and cooked the whole heart. Found the heartstrings too...interesting there is some truth to that saying.
    Sorry, not shot with am ELD-M (in fact it was a dirty old Speer HP) but it is
    heart related. Haven’t seen Rinella’s video on it, but I tried a different method for cutting up the heart than I usually do. Previously have just cut it in rings, but this time I kinda segmented it and removed any of the stringy/sinewy bits- was trying to get best result to encourage the brats to eat it - which they didn’t! Oh well, more for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tikka7mm08, GWH and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    The thing in Europe is that shot carcasses get sold on the meet market.
    They go through rigorous vet inspection and with any "over damaged" meat you can seeing price cut in half if not more.

The other thing is that with driven Shooting , the shots are not always well placed and they prefer to have a bullet going through to leave an easier blood trail to follow.

While saying that, a friend of mine in France who used to be a hard bullet partisan years ago for driven Shooting is now using a 7x64 162gr sst hornady load and has done marvels with it over the last few year on wild boar. His Last season was 69 animals down with 72 rounds shot.
    The practical reasons for the Euros using hard bullets make sense - it’s more the emotional response towards soft bullets I’m thinking of. What I’ve experienced is a reluctance to accept that soft bullets can kill so emphatically - quite the opposite seems to be the impression, hence comments about their use being unethical etc. It’s a good example of just how wide the spectrum of preferences and experience is, and how it varies by region.
    Just...say...the...word