Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 17 hmr replacement

after a thousand or so rounds I found the opposite , the extra power was worth very little in the field and the cost with lost brass and time was greater than Id thought but yes we can disagree and then agree about the .17 fireball, I would have had one based on a sako off TM but The claw was bidding on it so I left it alone.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Ok , the load I am using is , 13.0gr of Lilgun , a 40gr vmax & cci pistol primers , and a very light crimp ( 22hornet , lee crimp die ) ,

Sounds about right Chris, can't be much case capacity left though!

It's funny how different folks have completely different wants and needs.
    Personally I don't think I'd bother with 22 Hornet but think 17HH would be pretty neat.
    I probably would rather spend the money on supressing my 223 instead though, although a CZ in 17HH would be one sexy gun.

And I definitely would never bother with 17 fireball lol, I think I'd get heaps more use from a 204 Ruger. But that's just a whole other argument.

Funny you mention scaring cows ChrisF, I've never found cows to mind too much if I shot near them, and I was shooting my 223 40 odd meters from some yesterday.
    Calves on the other hand are not keen on the noise, but not sure if they'd even like my 17hmr. In fact I don't think they do.

The cows donot mind be 308 AW , but its got a bloody good can on it , and I shoot away from them into gally , this is used on a different part of the farm , and has the cows shed , houses races etc , want to be able to shoot anywhere , and almost any time with it , so far still loving the little rifle , just wish CZ would make the magazine so that I could feed the longer 40gr vmax bullets .

Yeap , the 13gr is sort of compressed , like blackpowder , and no problems so far , just need a dial up scope .

Later Chris