Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 17 hornet

17 hornet

Has anyone seen these, just found it on the CZ usa site,

Both the 527 Varmint (heavy barrel) and 527 American (sporter weight) models will soon be available in the new .17 Hornet chambering.

The CZ 527 is a true micro length Mauser style action featuring controlled round feed, a detachable magazine, forged receiver, hammer forged barrel, integrated 16mm scope bases and the CZ single set trigger system, fully adjustable for creep, over-travel and weight.

From Hornady.com:
    Based on the 22 Hornet cartridge case, the 17 Hornet propels the 20 gr V-MAX at 3,650 fps. Fueled with Superformance propellent, the 17 Hornet Superformance Varmint is economically priced, and delivers the trajectory of a traditional 55 gr 223 load, but is a pleasure to shoot with the felt recoil of a 22 WMR. The 17 Hornet – an economical, fun .17 caliber centerfire cartridge that puts the STING on varmints out to 300 yards!
    • 3,650 fps muzzle velocity with a 20 gr. V-MAX bullet
    • Same C.O.L. as the 22 Hornet – uses the existing action
    • Trajectory comparable to a traditional 55 gr 223 Rem, but the felt recoil of a 22 WMR
    • Less fouling, barrel wear, powder and pressure compared to the 17 Rem
    • Lower cost and comparable quality to the 17 Fireball and 223 Rem”

Name:  New-Image.png
Views: 1710
Size:  25.2 KB
    VIVA LA HOWA

Hardy Rifle Engineering have built a few .17 Hornets. I hear they are pretty surgical and can motor too.

Yeah Toby I've been watching that space for quite a while. I do most of my varmint hunting with the 17HMR (although the 223 does come out on occasion). To have something that goes in between would be awesome.

Apparently the hornet wont be much louder than the HMR when suppressed either.

Very keen to have a play with one. I've noted a lot of the gear is already available for reloading it.

That rifle in the pic is quite nice although I would prefer it without the huge mag sticking out like that.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    That rifle in the pic is quite nice although I would prefer it without the huge mag sticking out like that.
    Heyyyy Toby!!! You and I agree on something about aesthetics!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Heyyyy Toby!!! You and I agree on something about aesthetics!
    VIVA LA HOWA

Well the mag is not only not that pretty, it's pretty impractical. It's right where you want to stick your hand for carrying. Gotta love the size of those rifles. Nice to have a centerfire rifle that the frame isn't built to go up to 30-06!
    Toby likes this.

Sorry but I don't see any reason to want one of these over a .223? Ammo cost? Maybe a very slight saving, every other area the .223 is better?
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I have been looking for a 5 shot mag for my .303 for that very reason
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Sorry but I don't see any reason to want one of these over a .223? Ammo cost? Maybe a very slight saving, every other area the .223 is better?
    You could say that about a lot of calibers

The main thing is it'll be far quieter (especially when suppressed).

Less meat damage is also a positive. You ever hit a bunny with a 223? there's not much left.

got one of those 537s in 223 and really the only time you notice the mag is when it pokes you in the back,
    other than that it feels more like a 22 with a longer bolt throw

How much quieter than a 223 or 204 would it actually be? Can't imagine that much real difference if comparing like for like wrt suppressors etc.

It uses like 8 grains of powder, and it's a tiny little projectile. 1/3 the powder, 1/3 the weight of the projectile.

It'll be quiet.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quentin (45 South) has one built on a Ruger 77/22 Hornet. Raves about it, trying to convince me I need one, he just wants brass, projectiles and powder sales from me! His has a big Zigilani supressor on it, 20 inch barrel, said its quieter than his supressed 17HMR...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    got one of those 537s in 223 and really the only time you notice the mag is when it pokes you in the back,
    other than that it feels more like a 22 with a longer bolt throw
    Yeah, not sure how much less meat damage there would be too, 3000fps is still do some serious damage to a bunny even though its a 17gr pill, will be a lot more frangible too.