Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: 17 Hornet

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I took a bloke wallaby shooting who turned up with a 17hmr, he assured me he would only take head shots under 100 meters.
    I never contacted the guy again.

The male wallaby down her can be bigger than Labradors they need a caliber that will respect that.
    Yes exactly, why is it when it comes to Goats & Wallabies that people are so dumb & disrespectful that they think they can humanly hunt em with such little piss weak calibers, yes while in the hands of an expert pest controller the 17hmr may work if head shot, in the real world of shooting such animals, seldom does the theory work in pratice.

While they are pest's, they deserve to be humanly hunted & killed like any other animal, do them some respect & use something with plenty of grunt.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Weihrauch have recently included the 17 Hornet as an option in their HW 66 Production and HW 60J models.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Yes that HW 66 seems a very good looking rifle. Heavy though
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    How does the 17 Hornet go against South Island Wallaby? I know from personal observation that the .17m2 and 17hmr are not really adequate unless a head or neck shot can be taken.
    I use a 17mkiv on a few kangaroos and its ok but not the best with chest shots, puts them down but needs a follow up, 25 gr at 3800. South Island wallabys significantly smaller than the skips I was shooting so I would consider 17 hornet adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuidog View Post
    I use a 17mkiv on a few kangaroos and its ok but not the best with chest shots, puts them down but needs a follow up, 25 gr at 3800. South Island wallabys significantly smaller than the skips I was shooting so I would consider 17 hornet adequate.
    I had my .17 Mack IV (fireball) at the big bore shoot, two years ago, and we used it to shoot 6-8 wallaby's, with out any problem, spotlighting, so close shooting, I would have a go at a wallaby, with the .17 hornet, condition and shot/range dependant, but wouldn't take it, to go wallaby hunting, Be ok, on the dama Wallaby, I would think, a big south island Hare, would be about the same weight.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    I had my .17 Mack IV (fireball) at the big bore shoot, two years ago, and we used it to shoot 6-8 wallaby's, with out any problem, spotlighting, so close shooting, I would have a go at a wallaby, with the .17 hornet, condition and shot/range dependant, but wouldn't take it, to go wallaby hunting, Be ok, on the dama Wallaby, I would think, a big south island Hare, would be about the same weight.
    Adequate ,I agree it wouldn't be my first choice though for SI wallaby.

I'm lucky my mach iv will chamber and fire 17 fireball although $50 per 20 is eye watering but cheaper than buying 221 fb brass and forming dies.

Yes I have 17 Hornet in HW66 Waihrauch. It likes 20Grain Vmax best. Great groups even from factory Hornady amo.
    Half inch groups @100m easily achieved with home loads. Wasted so much time working up a load with Lil Gun.
    Forget that powder for 17H. CFE BLK is brilliant & consistent,& I am currently at similar loads to a previous post & down
    to 1/4 inch groups & not quite finished yet. Perfect 150-200m varmint round. Body shots you will only retrieve a steaming
    fury sock!!
    GWH, small_caliber and Boxton like this.

Name:  952FFF9B-5E4A-46E6-94D3-756B63295F3F.jpeg
Views: 478
Size:  2.84 MB

Fark @SL600
    That is a stunning dream come true
    A thing to behold
    A ....a...a....
    Excuse me ill be right back
    Ahhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by SL600 View Post
    God help me if i see a left hand version for sale! Apparently there are 22 hornet l/h but who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    Where did you hear about a left hand 22 Hornet, who makes one?

CZ made some in the 500 series (now discontinued). I have no idea if there will be 600 series left handers but 600s are currently being recalled (oops)!
    https://www.czub.cz/en/support-recall/
    At the moment they only seem to make 22rf in left

Anschutz Mod 1730 (old history?)
    https://www.guncity.com/22hornet-ans...ft-hand-377160

Kimber model 82 (long gone)

And (finally) Browning

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/brow...ish/27741.html

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    The only one I know of that made a L/H Hornet was Anschutz, but from what I understand they only made 50 L/H rifles.
    Which model? I understood they made more than one?

Yes so some Anschutz 1730 rifles (including the one in GC) but none of the more recent model rifles. It occurred to me that CZ left hand hornets i had read about were likely made up.

You can order one in LH. 9-12 month delay, but worth the wait if thats what you realy want. How do I know? Cos Ive just ordered
    one in .222Rem.