Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: .17HMR Varmint Rifle

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    I had a Heavy Barrell Savage HMR - sold it for a standard barrell HM2
    Didn't like the weight of the barrell - fine for sitting and shooting

Hate the plastic stock on it though

Next time would be a CZ or similar - wooden stock

I have just got a savage 93 r17 brj has a heavy barrel but doesnt feel to much to carry around and the trigger is great

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    What's a Quad cost, anyway. Never see them listed.
    Got mine very lightly used off Muzr. I have a feeling that the version I have was some ridiculous price like $2.5k new... I gave him my CZ455 & some cash for it. Has an aftermarket alloy trigger guard and trigger springs etc which finish it off really nicely. Very accurate too. It has a 22WMR barrel on it, which I'm not in any hurry to change either

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Ive got a sako quad in 17hmr. Nice bit of kit, extremely smooth action and deadly accurate. Trigger is also quite adequate and easily adjusted, you will save money there.

I have a 17hmr CZ425 (left handed of course). Nice little rifle. Shoots well although the factory trigger isn't flash. Sort or two stage when it isn't sposed to be.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I have a 17hmr CZ425 (left handed of course). Nice little rifle. Shoots well although the factory trigger isn't flash. Sort or two stage when it isn't sposed to be.
    http://www.yodaveproducts.com

Huge improvement over factory trigger...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

I'm a fan of the Savages, accurate and nice to shoot. As others have said you don't really need a heavy barrel for a rimfire, but nothing wrong with them if you like the feel and don't mind a bit of extra weight - they still aren't that heavy overall and balance well.

CZ's are nice rifles, usually better finished and pretty good accuracy too but as standard the triggers aren't in the same league so I'd factor a trigger upgrade into the extra cost over a Savage as well.

Matre just got a Zastava which seems good too and shoots well.

I had the CZ455 17HMR with the heavy barrel.
    Great rifle!

But don't get the heavy barrel if you intend to go walking with it. The 17HMR is a very light round, and has stuff-all barrel flip.
    You're better off getting a normal barrel and a suppressor - won't move while you watch your round hit through your ultra-zoom scope

Scary accurate, does immense damage to small critters. It WILL make you smile

Weihrauch hw 60.( if you can find one) Full sized rifle, euro quality, very accurate, excellent trigger. Had an Anschutz for about 8 years before and I prefer the HW 60 by a fair margin. Around $1200 IIRC.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

I went down this road a few years ago myself and narrowed it down to 3, Marlin, CZ and Savage. In the end I went with the Savage BRJ as it met all my requirements. It is a fairly heavy rig but I wanted it for sitting and sniping rabbits.
    The reason I went with the Savage over the other makes was it was the only one that had an adjustable factory trigger. It also has a heavy target barrel and solid laminate stock. Perfect for what I was wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2308 View Post
    I have a CZ452, great shooting and accurate rifle.
    The factory trigger was an absolute donkey to use, but a trigger kit has taken out all the creep and lightened it to a nice, useable feel!
    What kind of weight did you manage to get the trigger down to, and what kind of groupings did you manage to get?

Quote Originally Posted by I_shoot_freely View Post
    What kind of weight did you manage to get the trigger down to, and what kind of groupings did you manage to get?
    I haven't measured the pull weight on it, but its somewhere around the 2lb mark judging by my other rifles.
    It's always grouped around 1/3 to 1/2 inch at 100 yards...just much easier to extract that kind of accuracy out of it now that the trigger is sorted!
    I_shoot_freely likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
    I had the CZ455 17HMR with the heavy barrel.
    Great rifle!

But don't get the heavy barrel if you intend to go walking with it. The 17HMR is a very light round, and has stuff-all barrel flip.
    You're better off getting a normal barrel and a suppressor - won't move while you watch your round hit through your ultra-zoom scope

Scary accurate, does immense damage to small critters. It WILL make you smile
    Do you think the heavy barrel adds anything to the .17 then? Could I put enough rounds through it to get a more than minimal advantage from having it, or would I just be better off with a standard barrel all round? Seems to be somewhat of a divergence of opinion on this matter.

It seems that there is no conclusive evidence that the Heavy barrel CZ is anymore accurate than the standard weight.
    It wont heat up as much, but mu American hardly heats up much anyway.

I'd definitely go for a CZ over a Savage or Marlin. Some of the latter two have been known for poor build quality and a bit unreliable.
    But all CZs are excellent feeling rifles, there may also be unreliable lemons out there, but on the whole the build quality seems a step above.
    And considering they are pretty similarly priced.

The 455 is considered not quite as good as the 452, but there really isn't a huge amount in it.
    I'd just go for whatever had the right price at the time.
    The trigger on my 452 American isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than a lot of triggers I've used. It was pretty light from factory and only the tinniest amount of creep, but really nothing to be worried about. I think if my Tikka didn't have such a fantastic trigger, I would be 100% happy with the CZ one.

I also got a CZ452 and then installed a trigger kit (takes about an hour of fiddling around and cost me about $40, before the earthquakes, from Optics and Arms in Chch) for an excellent trigger. I compared it to the CZ453 set trigger and I think I prefer the 452 with the trigger kit. Very accurate rifle.