Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: .17HMR Varmint Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by I_shoot_freely View Post
    Do you think the heavy barrel adds anything to the .17 then? Could I put enough rounds through it to get a more than minimal advantage from having it, or would I just be better off with a standard barrel all round? Seems to be somewhat of a divergence of opinion on this matter.
    A heavy barrel wont necessarily be any more accurate as such but it will possibly be less susceptible to ammunition variances. It will also be a little easier to shoot off hand (as long as its balanced) and will sit on bags or a bipod a little better. Your not likley to have to carry it for days with a pack on so I prefer a little heft. The cz is a nice little rifle but personally I couldnt live with the trigger or the bolt handle being so close to the scope ocular.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Ejected
    This heating thing is amusing. Yes a heavy barrel heats slower, funny thing though, it cools slower to....

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    This heating thing is amusing. Yes a heavy barrel heats slower, funny thing though, it cools slower to....
    And its a little rimfire.
    Its gonna take a LOT of quick firing to heat any rimfire barrel.
    I say light barrel if you're gonna walk around with it, or go the heavy if you're going to sit up on a hill and snipe the bunnies at a distance

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Yodave Products - Home

Huge improvement over factory trigger...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that. I'm in.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    I have a M77 Ruger that's has never let me down and I did a trigger job on it. Plenty accurate enough for a standard weight barrel and I have an MAE supressor on it. The CZ is something worth looking at even though I have never owned one ... they have a great reputation for reliability and accuracy. If you were wanting to spend a little more I would absolutely consider a Weihrauch HW60J .17HMR. I own the .22LR version and they have a nice medium weight barrel and very accurate and trigger is a dream out of the box.
    One of these 3 should fit any budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzrrr View Post
    I have a M77 Ruger that's has never let me down and I did a trigger job on it. Plenty accurate enough for a standard weight barrel and I have an MAE supressor on it. The CZ is something worth looking at even though I have never owned one ... they have a great reputation for reliability and accuracy. If you were wanting to spend a little more I would absolutely consider a Weihrauch HW60J .17HMR. I own the .22LR version and they have a nice medium weight barrel and very accurate and trigger is a dream out of the box.
    One of these 3 should fit any budget.
    Aren't the Weihruchs pretty heavy though? I played with one once, I remember it being a beautiful feeling and looking gun,but was quite heavy.
    Cost a fair bit more than a CZ too, but looked worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Aren't the Weihruchs pretty heavy though? I played with one once, I remember it being a beautiful feeling and looking gun,but was quite heavy.
    Cost a fair bit more than a CZ too, but looked worth it.
    Pretty much on the money there and yes a few hundred more than a standard cz but money well spent IMHO . Its a vamint rifle so not something you are going to carrying with a 20kg pack,a bit of weight is your friend. The anschutz I had wasa shooter but to short in the lop and to light for my liking
    This is before the barrel chop and tuiman can
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by sneeze; 30-12-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Toby and Gunzrrr like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

I ve had marlin with heavy fluted barrel for three or four years. It's had some improvements and shoots heads off sparrows at 100 mtrs consistently. I ve filled buckets up of myna birds with it . It has VX 1 and good mounts MAE suppreser trigger polish Harris bi pod and does the trick When it needs a clean it goes off accurate I shoot prob 150 to 200 rnds per month through it Total cost all up sub 1500 $ best hit 2 magpies each at 180 mtrs and head shots. Rabbits and possums no worries 200 + Misfires never FTC never just grab and go but heavy
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..