Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: 20,000 guns stolen per year according to the ODT

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    I see only one person has bothered to put a comment on the ODT website instead of simply whining about it here.
    To right just posted

Banned
    Yeah, there's no point whining to each other here, you have to take it to the people.

Banned
    I am not sure if I am working the comments properly, or whether the ODT is declining to put up my comments, but the comments I made yesterday have not been displayed.
    I just made another version (not as good, but I cant remember exactly) which I put up just now;

We understand writing about guns is "sexy", but this sensationalist piece quoting figures from Mr Cahill of the NZ Police is disappointing.
    Mr Cahilll claims 20,000 firearms are stolen or sold to criminals every year. Every year mind. This would indeed be a flood of dire proportions if it were true. But it's not. 700 firearms were stolen over 2014 and 2015. That is only 19,300 less than Mr Cahill's figure.
    So lately we are left with the idiot up north who was caught with 14 hidden in his roof and no license, and the recent burglary in Dunedin. That's only 19,958 less than Mr Cahills figure. That's so far out, you might as well say that the 20,000 figure was just made up.
    So there is not a flood of firearms falling into the hands of criminals. That should be a relief to whoever wrote this opinion piece.
    Mr Cahill is preparing the ground for an attempt to further stiffen firearms laws in NZ - but then Mr Cahill seems unaware that the firearms he is concerned about are already restricted, and already registered.
    Meanwhile the writer of the piece got a sexy piece about guns printed, and didn't have to bother with the unsexy stuff, like fact checking.
    outdoorlad, Tuidog and shooternz like this.

Just to point out....

This appears to be a political thread. Some here to after me when I even mention who I voted for back on November 8th.

Also fuck those bullshit numbers.
    madjon_, gadgetman and Skatieguy like this.
    Signature removed because some people are intolerant of me being American.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Agreed - I don't know if it is true that Cahill is in fact a transgender midget prostitute with links to the communist agenda and a strong interest in watersports (just like Trump, hmmm) but I believe that these allegations are serious and must be addressed
    And remember, He is not police heirachy, he is UNION Hierachy. Whoever sits in the position he is in now is no longer beating the Police drum, he is beating the Union drum. What he spouts is NOT for the good of NZ and its people. It is solely and completely good for the union members he represents (In his opinion anyway)....

[QUOTE=Miami_JBT;555050]Just to point out....

This appears to be a political thread. Some here to after me when I even mention who I voted for back on November 8th.

Partly the mods are on holiday and partly we are fed up to the back teeth with the stupidity that is the US political circus
    Daggers_187 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    And remember, He is not police heirachy, he is UNION Hierachy. Whoever sits in the position he is in now is no longer beating the Police drum, he is beating the Union drum. What he spouts is NOT for the good of NZ and its people. It is solely and completely good for the union members he represents (In his opinion anyway)....
    But if police don't refute their bullshit statistics then they are no better than them. 20,000 guns a year arming criminals makes them sound like a bunch of clowns. That would mean that their would probably be enough firearms to arm every criminal in the country, and yet how many times do you actually hear of someone getting shot?

Someone needs to be held accountable for spouting off such a ridiculous number. Its so sensationalized its pure madness. How many personal are in our military? Would be close to 20k so these stats tell us the crims are almost as equally armed!?

What's worse is some antis will now quote that absurd stat as fact from here on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Someone needs to be held accountable for spouting off such a ridiculous number. Its so sensationalized its pure madness. How many personal are in our military? Would be close to 20k so these stats tell us the crims are almost as equally armed!?

What's worse is some antis will now quote that absurd stat as fact from here on.
    Yes unfortunately the harm is now done and any retraction/correction will be less effective than the first version. Look how the major rags issue their corrections - very small entries deep in the newspaper.
    That's not to say there shouldn't be accountability.

In other words you wrote the truth which doesn't coincide with their agenda and god forbid the media much like CNN and Buzzfeed of late is found out to be lying.

Let's get a few of us to prove them wrong :-)

CNN & Buzzfeed have slaughtered themselves. Running with that pathetic fabricated lie Completely back-fired on them, good riddance i say.

Banned
    Ha, they felt moved by our comments enough to post a rebuttal.
    Basically they are saying that even though the figures are crap we still are going to stand by this opnion, based on nothing at all.

Ccahill@policeassn.org.nz should be Cahills email. Failing that here is the link to the associations website mail portal. https://www.policeassn.org.nz/contact-us

Someone may wish to ask where he gets his fantatstic figures from.

Email sent to Paula Bennett about that one. Is there a version of the broadcasting standard for printed/internet media? I noticed that their rebuttal still said the numbers came from the Police not the Police Association..... Big difference
    Krameranzac likes this.

Banned
    As far as the ODT saying they stand by their stance taken in the editorial - The point is that the quote was from Mr Cahill, and the article was entirely based on the supposition that the figure was correct. And that would be fine if it were just straight reporting - so-and-so said this.
    But its an editorial , which is an opinion piece and an interpretation. You can't base your editorial on utter nonsense and then pretend your not responsible for your conclusions. The claim that Mr Cahill's figures have been widely quoted in the media is no defense for being absurdly uncritical in an editorial.