Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 22 mag or 17hmr

Quote Originally Posted by sparky1000 View Post
    I

. Only reason I went for this over the 17HMR was I heard they don't like the wind as much .
    And the buzzer sounds ........ wrong.
    The correct answer is ....." the .17 HMR has LESS wind drift than a .22 magnum.

Add to that the 17gr cci is Les than $200 a brick so under 40 cents a round, I cant get close to that reloading my .222 and with the hmr I dont have to worry about the brass.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

I prefer the 22 mag, but you might want to look at a 22 hornet, its still nice and quite with a suspressor and much more capabale than either rimfire. but more expensive to run thought.

i wouldnt bother with a WMR if you own a 223, id either suppress the 223 or go HMR
    kiwi39 likes this.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    For the game you have described and the fact that you already have a .223, I would strongly recommend the HMR. It won't buck the wind as much as a .22Mag but that is just practise (& fun). I shoot mine out to 150 yards with no worries. I agree completely with another post which is to suppress it, not only for noise reduction but also the weight will improve accuracy. I would also get a trigger job too, especially if looking at a Ruger as they are heavy set as required by US market. Lightening the trigger will only cost $100 and be the best thing you did. Also look at the M77/17 rather than the American.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzrrr View Post
    For the game you have described and the fact that you already have a .223, I would strongly recommend the HMR. It won't buck the wind as much as a .22Mag but that is just practise (& fun). I shoot mine out to 150 yards with no worries. I agree completely with another post which is to suppress it, not only for noise reduction but also the weight will improve accuracy. I would also get a trigger job too, especially if looking at a Ruger as they are heavy set as required by US market. Lightening the trigger will only cost $100 and be the best thing you did. Also look at the M77/17 rather than the American.
    i think it is the best option from what i have read so yeah, i'll look at it when available. I read a write up on the ruger and it said it has an adjustable trigger 3 to 5lb. i don't know what that equates to as lite or heavy mind you.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    i think it is the best option from what i have read so yeah, i'll look at it when available. I read a write up on the ruger and it said it has an adjustable trigger 3 to 5lb. i don't know what that equates to as lite or heavy mind you.
    My gunsmith took my M77/17 down to a fraction under 2lbs as mine wasn't adjustable ... but also it's the way it breaks now - like glass. Since he did my HMR, I gave him all my rifles and they all pull the same way and I got him to take the "creep" out of one rifle in particular. He didn't need to adjust the Sauer as they are amazing out of the box with the set trigger. As all my triggers are very similar now - my confidence and accuracy he improved dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzrrr View Post
    I would strongly recommend the HMR. It won't buck the wind as much as a .22Mag .
    Seriously?

I gotta learn stay away from the internet.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps0f9fda7f.gif
    Last edited by sneeze; 24-03-2014 at 06:06 PM.
    gadgetman and kiwi39 like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

I don't get why the 22WMR is considered better in the wind. Just buy looking at the shape of the bullet and the velocity of each cartridge, it should be pretty obvious the 17HMR will be a million times better. The new 30gr WMR which has brought new life back to the cartridge has a shockingly bad bullet shape for bucking wind. It's a heck of a lot better compared to 22LR, and does not too bad considering, but the 17HMR is a lot better. I believe at about 300 yards the really heavy 22WMR rounds start to buck the wind a bit better, but by that stage the wind drift is still a lot.

I'd say go for the 17HMR, the 22WMR is a good cartridge would be better on goats, but at the close range you mentioned I think the 17HMR would do just as well, as with both rounds you will be best with head/neck shots. But I think I'd be inclined to use the 223 on goats anyway.

The 17HMR WILL buck the wind better and shoot flatter. I've found it to be instant death on any small vermin I point my CZ at, I only use my 22s for spotlighting and plinking now.
    Many will complain that the 17HMR is bad in the wind, but they seem to forget what the point of the 17HMR is. It's not meant to replace a centre fire round, it's meant to replace your 22 which it bucks the wind a lot better than, and increases the range buy 100 meters at least. It never will replace a centre fire varmint round, but you would be hard pressed to reload centre fire rounds for the same price, and you don't have to worry about finding your brass. You also have the advantage of a lighter, smaller rifle than your typical centre fire.

Unless you compare it too the new 17HH which seem's to steadily be gaining popularity.

So yeah, I'd say go for the 17HMR, the 22WMR is still a good round, I just think the HMR is better.
    Maca49 and Shearer like this.

Shut up and Shoot
    For small game shooting its the 17HMR hands down. I have shot more HMR's and Magnums than I can remember and the HMR wins on Wind drift, its far less affected by wind than the 22 mag. At 150 yards in a 10 mph wind a 17 gn Vmax at 2550 drifts 7.7 inches at 150 a 33 gn Accu Tip at 2200 FPS drifts 13.4 inches, the 40 and 50 grain bullets drift even more. Absolutely no contest the 17 is better in the wind. I have only shot one 22 Mag that could get close to 1/2 MOA groups, I have shot at least 5 HMR's that will do that and better. The 22 mag goes transonic at 200 or less depending on the bullet and shooting groups at 200 shows much bigger groups than 100. Conversely the 17HMR (17 Vmax) doesn't go transonic until 250 ish yards and 200 yards groups in my Savage are often around the 1 inch mark or better depending on the wind. I have taken a lot of bunnies past 200 with my top shot being 282 on a hare. Cost is cheaper for cheap plated 22 mag rounds but don't expect superior accuracy. The 33 Grain rounds will shot sub MOA but they cost as much as 17 gn Vmax rounds so cost is essentially even. Cleaning is easy just get a 17 bore rod. My Savage gets cleaned every 200 od rounds.
    smidey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbmiester View Post
    For small game shooting its the 17HMR hands down. I have shot more HMR's and Magnums than I can remember and the HMR wins on Wind drift, its far less affected by wind than the 22 mag. At 150 yards in a 10 mph wind a 17 gn Vmax at 2550 drifts 7.7 inches at 150 a 33 gn Accu Tip at 2200 FPS drifts 13.4 inches, the 40 and 50 grain bullets drift even more. Absolutely no contest the 17 is better in the wind. I have only shot one 22 Mag that could get close to 1/2 MOA groups, I have shot at least 5 HMR's that will do that and better. The 22 mag goes transonic at 200 or less depending on the bullet and shooting groups at 200 shows much bigger groups than 100. Conversely the 17HMR (17 Vmax) doesn't go transonic until 250 ish yards and 200 yards groups in my Savage are often around the 1 inch mark or better depending on the wind. I have taken a lot of bunnies past 200 with my top shot being 282 on a hare. Cost is cheaper for cheap plated 22 mag rounds but don't expect superior accuracy. The 33 Grain rounds will shot sub MOA but they cost as much as 17 gn Vmax rounds so cost is essentially even. Cleaning is easy just get a 17 bore rod. My Savage gets cleaned every 200 od rounds.
    The man talks pure sense!!! IMHO
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Well you learn something every day. I made the (wrong) assumption that the bullet weight of the HMR would cause it to be more affected by the wind. I'm pleased you have enlightened me as a couple of mates always rib me for my HMR. Now I can quote them some stats. Tx Gunzrrr

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Name:  22WMRvs17HMR.jpg
Views: 19832
Size:  68.3 KB
    Name:  bullet-drift-10mph-wind.png
Views: 7658
Size:  48.9 KB
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    I use a 22 WMR, with the Hornady 30gr vmax rounds. Chronied at 2,180fps, so drift figures are better (less) than the chart above. I limit it to 150m in general (mainly used for night shooting so I'm not looking for brass) and pull out the 20 Tac if I'm likely to be shooting at distances in excess of this.

My rifle is very accurate, sighted it in on Sunday and managed a 5 shot sub 1/2 MOA group at 100m with a 10 power scope. As good or better than the 2 17HMR's I have owned... For my use of the round, it gives nothing away on the HMR, but gains with more energy at closer ranges.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

The 40gr 22WMR they're quoting there has a terrible BC, any particular reason its so much worse than the 40gr 22LR? Maybe they just wanted it to look bad. Be interesting to compare the 30gr Hornady @ 2200 as well.

Shut up and Shoot
    The BC of the 30 grain Vmax is around .095, so blunt as a brick essentially. If 150 is your self imposed limit then sure 22mag is an option but when it comes to shots past 150 HMR is a much better bet, less drift, less drop and just a much hitting energy.