Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 22 mag or 17hmr

I have used a couple of 22 mags for about 15 years and have been pretty happy with them - 150m is plenty of range for offhand hare shooting. If I was starting over again I would look at a 17HMR

This one looks pretty interesting if a little pricey ANSCHÜTZ 1727F

Shut up and Shoot
    I shot a Marlin recently and it was capable of going under 0.5 MOA best 3 shot group was .31

If you reload,and even if you don't, forget both the 22 mag and the 17 hmr.

22 Hornet or the new 17 hornet will own those other two calibres.

17Hmr is highly overrated,i just sold mine.Far too expensive for what it is.

You could do that.
    I'm thinking I might make a .20 Practical to go my my AR.
    4100fps with a .20cal projectile. Won't leave much behind!

Here's my take on this , forget the rimfires altogether , none have the accuracy or range to take goats etc .
    Only 2 options , IF you are limited and only can have a few rifles , then 223 bolt .
    IF you can afford more rifles , then to me the best is the 22 Hornet , suppressed , it will do what you want around the farm , with disturbing the farm animals etc .
    At the cost of a nice 22mag or 17hmr , you can also get a 22hornet or 223 wich has much more range and power etc , the cost of ammo on both will be close if you reload etc .

Later Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Here's my take on this , forget the rimfires altogether , none have the accuracy or range to take goats etc .
    Not enough accuracy? How so?

i have a 223. Just looking for something with more reach than a 22lr subsonic. Goat capable is a non-important bonus.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Yeah stupid .22lrs with shit accuracy! Can't fucking kills goats the bloody things, fuck rimfires they are shit.....

Name:  2013-04-06 13.38.51.jpg
Views: 8059
Size:  508.8 KB
    Name:  2013-11-02 17.36.45.jpg
Views: 2644
Size:  382.5 KB
    Herbmiester and smidey like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Maybe goats are smaller than the 100s of Canterbury hares I have shot with a 22mag?

At close ranges , rimfires do work , YOU all now that , But at longer ranges , they are marginal , I have used 22lrs , 22mags , 223 & 308 rifles on goats & 12ga slugs as well , or course you can use what ever you want .

The lite and slow rimfires get blown around in the wind , in NZ where I live its ALWAYS windy , I prefer the 223 , BUT as its not MY farm , and I have to have some consideration to the farm , I feel the best for me is a suppressed 22hornet rifle , magpies & goats are usually well in excess of 100yds , most around the 200yds , ,

For me , as the cost for ammo is either the same or cheaper , I chose the centerfire options and reload them , end of story .

As to rimfire , it should be cheap to run , ie $45 a brick or cheaper , I donot , buy into the high price listed for some rimfire ammo , ie $120 for win subsonic , etc .

Later Chris

P.S. , In terms of accuracy , as not having enough , I am talking of past 100yds etc , and having less killing power at longer ranges , compared to the small centerfire cals etc .

I find goats can be very hardy/tuff animals .
    Last edited by ChrisF; 27-03-2014 at 05:02 PM.
    Toby likes this.

Shut up and Shoot
    For small game rabbits hares etc, then the HMR has enough power. Compared to the Hornet or at least the ones I have owned it will eat them for accuracy. I have 2 HMR's (Savage and Marlin) in my gun room at present and both will shoot .5 MOA or better, none of my Hornets would do that. Plus with HMR there is no need to buy reloading gear like you would have to if you wanted the best out of a Hornet. Final bonus is the HMR is quiet with a suppressor, quite a bit quieter than a suppressed 223.

Herb ,

I almost agree with you RE : the hornet having a so-so rep for accuracy , BUT , if you do a little research , most are the older rear locking designs , like the older Sako's & Annies , Rugers etc , and I feel that rear locking bolt actions are not suited to the rimmed & heavy tapered 22 Honret case .
    Most agree , that IF you want the best chance of getting good accuracy from a 22 hornet rifle , you are best to use the CZ527 rifle , as its 1 ) Front locking bolt & 2 ) CZ seem to get the chambers pretty straight on their Hornets .
    So in short IF you want a good accurate Hornet , get a CZ527 rifle , and forget the REST .

RE : Loading for them , again tricker than normal , some run only certain powders & pistol primers to get them accurate , as well as slight crimp on hte case mouth .

Later Chris

P.S. If I was after a 17 Hornet , then just like the 22 version , I would ONLY be looking at a CZ527 rifle .

If you get a .22 WMR, get it in a proper rifle

Toby, Nibblet, southernman and 1 others like this.

I like the idea of the 22mag , as long as ammo cost is not too high , BUT the one I had was not very accurate , tried lots of different ammo , to no use .
    And I really wanted it to work , but in my 22mag rifle , just did not happen , so sold her off .
    At the time , word was that , the 22mag was for hunting only , and no accurate match grade ammo made , But If you wanted accurate 22mg , then the SS heavy barrel Marlin bolt action was the rifle to get .

Later Chris

Mine is adequately accurate for purpose: I can hit anything I point it at within reasonable range. 100+
    meter rabbits are easily hittable with the aperture sights. Does it shoot pretty little groups to show the internet? No. Do I care? Also no.