Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 22 Semi Auto

I use a Marlin Model 60SS. Has been modified to 10 shot. Not at all customizable, but that's not why I bought it. I bought it because it is very accurate, reliable, and I like the look.Name:  WP_20140625_002.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  67.8 KB
    mudgripz and gadgetman like this.

Yeh I would have to agree with the 1022, but make sure it is older than late 80s!

I did a bit of a write up on my first 1022 experience here - https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....shortie-67759/

I had given my mates shit for having them for years then finally decided to give it a go, now I use it pretty much every day, and I have 4 different 22 semis in the safe to choose from.

MB
    So what about those flash factory 10/22 models, the "Competition" and "Target" models? Are they good?

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    So what about those flash factory 10/22 models, the "Competition" and "Target" models? Are they good?
    You tend to get exactly what you pay for, not brilliant and far from as good as Kidd, but better than base model.
    MB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I have had a couple of 10/22's over the years, and tuned a few for cobbers. Of those none shot exceptionally well, or badly for that matter. The reason they never stuck with me was the fat stock, in my hand they just don't carry well.

When I started doing a bit of 22 competion shooting at gongs my bolt guns were the first cab off the rank as the semi's I had weren't suitable. i soon found that being 60ish I couldn't keep up with the young guys moving on stages, so I started looking out for a semi to speed things up a triffle.

After a bit of research I started keeping an eye out for a Ruger 10-22 HB (Heavy Barrel) and one soon fell into my hands via the forum. I changed the stock to a cheap Magpul so as to get a cheek-piece I could adjust, and installed a Kidd single stage trigger (the slightly cheaper one). The rifle with stock Ruger hammer forged barrel looked like it was going to shoot well so I bedded it into the magpul stock. Its now the single most accurate 22 I've ever owned, and there have been a bunch of them over the last 10 years - several flavours of Annie's and CZ's, a Winchester M52, and others including a Kidd.

The rifle shoots consistent groups of 0.6" at 50M with a good batch of ammo. I know others will chip in and say their "xxxx shot a 3/8 group at x but I dare them to post a 6x5 target (5 or 6 groups in a row on the same page at 50Y/50M).

I don't doubt that the Ruger Competition models can be gotten to shoot very well, but they may need the same tinkering with action screw torques, bedding etc as a standard heavy barrel (which will be a lot less $$) to get to shoot.
    rugerman and MB like this.

10/22 Bought mine 40 years ago and its been thrashed. On its second firing pin, Shot my first 2 Red Stags with it, haven't got a clue how many rounds have gone through it. Liked it so much bought one for my Son on his 1st birthday, stayed in the box till he was 17 and had his firearm license. Alloy trigger housing not the plastic.
    mudgripz and tetawa like this.

The Competition Custom Shop 10/22 is very different from base models. Very smooth action, multiple features including rear action screw, cleaning hole, laminated stock, modified nitrided bolt with pinned firing pin, integral rail, barrel has top retaining nut to prevent ‘barrel droop’, barrel bore scopes and shoots well. Trigger okay not a Kidd.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    NOT a Gevarm that fires from an open bolt!
    Terrible trigger and oh boy, that delay between cranking on the trigger and the bolt slamming forwards - the lock time can be measured using a calendar!

Shot 100s ( thousands?) with mine, never get a misfire but do get occasional. ‘fails to eject’.

“Your experience may differ”

There is a nice one on the yellow site if anyone wants to validate or disprove Finnwolf’s experience.