Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: .22 sporter accuracy

Got my old 45yr old JW 15A out of the safe couple of days ago.Just checked zero at 30yds thru its old nikko stirling scope.The new box of winchester subs work ok thru its 14 inch barrel.The scope and rifle battered and bruised but deadly on head shots under 50yds.Name:  20220815_080505.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  1.80 MBGreat little carry rifle.
    muzza, mudgripz and Shearer like this.

That's good for 100m Mintie. And nice from your old JW15 Trout - hang onto it! No doubt it earned its battle scars..

I run all my JWs chopped to 15-16", similar to yours, and with a little polishing they really are great hunter 22s. I say all my JWs because people keep coming and begging them off me - keep having to do new ones!! Here's one of my wee JWs on a great shooting site we've had for many years in north Canterbury. Little rifle deadly in that terrain from the truck or out of it:

Name:  Image8.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  99.5 KB
    7mmsaum, Trout and Hunter_Nick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    This is my shorty JW15. 14 inch barrel , trimmed stock , shortened forewood, lightened and polished trigger. Basically built from bits that were lying around in the workshop

Attachment 204142
    I assume the bottom rifle is a Norinco too. I was stupid to sell mine. I had a long eye relief scope on it and it shot really well off hand. Deadly on multiple targets.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Nice Muzza - never had a Norinco semi. There is certainly a real place for fast shooting super accurate 22 semiautos - especially on high bunny volume sites.

This semiauto was my best - of maybe 30 or so of different makes. It's a Marlin 60DL - superbly accurate with four consecutive group average of 0.29" at 50m, and bloody good at 100m too. Genuine little sniper to shoot with - if you missed it was you! Gave it to my 16 year old (after he'd done many years shooting apprenticeship) and on first night after getting his licence he nailed 172 rabbits! Beat his old man..

Name:  Image4.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  114.2 KB

Currently running wee Marlin 795SS semiauto and it is perfect on the bunnies. Small, light, very accurate (0.40" and 0.48" group averages at 50m in last two range tests) and ideal for dealing with groups of bunnies down in the McKenzie..
    Last edited by mudgripz; 20-08-2022 at 04:16 PM.
    Trout and Bol Tackshin like this.

Here are examples of chopped, recrowned, polished JW15s. Can make them into very attractive little rifles. This one is v tidy, chopped to 16", action polished etc but also 600-900 wet and dry taken to bolt handle, then finished with Autosol to give it chromed look and really make it smart. Lovely wee rifle with Bushnell scope:

Name:  jw15 8.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  jw15 2.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  87.7 KB

and a fairly battered one with dents filled and repainted in low sheen black:

[ATTACH]204170[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    csmiffy likes this.