Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: .22 with subs, how short and what suppressor?

Name:  4659D34E-2C43-4570-B929-A5B2F53BCF61.jpeg
Views: 411
Size:  4.36 MB

My JW-15 is 15”. Pretty sure 795 n HMR are 15” as well. Reading somewhere that number is a bit of a sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    A word of caution from someone who chopped too short... I chopped a 22 to the minimum legal length thinking that this would be super handy etc, which it is. What I have found though is that the muzzle sits at ear level with the gun on shoulder - most disconcerting. I ended up heating a piece of PN12 PE water pipe and slipping it over the suppressor to extend the barrel above the head. I would stand in front of a mirror and mark the barrel from that if doing it again.
    Thought of moving your sling stud?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Thought of moving your sling stud?
    Not a silly suggestion, but the fore end is short and doing that would change the balance point.
    What I have just done is to take the PN 12 pipe off and heat slipped a 150mm long piece of PN 10 Red Stripe PE pipe 50 mm over the el-cheapo suppressor leaving 100 mm pipe forward ( this is a very thin walled high density PE pipe. I then slipped a de-capped shotgun shell (with a few wraps of tape around it to centralise) into the PN 10 pipe. I had drilled the primer pocket out to match the suppressor hole. Taped the whole lot with some super strong Nopi tape. Result - much quieter 22 at no cost, point of zero and groups unaffected. All components plastic, so if something goes wrong it wont end in disaster.
    Bill999 and csmiffy like this.

I have a Chiappa Little Badger, it has a 16.5" barrel, with a DPT 3 baffle suppressor. I run CCI Subs and CCI Quiets through it.

With the Quiets all you hear is the click of the trigger then the impact. I have shot a few hares with them and they knocked them over solidly.

MB
    What kind of range are the Quiets accurate to?

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that you get maximum velocity from 12 inches of barrel in a 22 LR. I might be wrong on that so I hope somebody can verify or correct me on that one.
    My experimentation ended with 16" for max velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    What kind of range are the Quiets accurate to?
    I've been bowling hares at ~ 25m. But tbh I had ring issues and have only just fixed them up. So at this stage I couldn't answer honestly.
    MB likes this.

Chopped my old JW15 down to 14" about 6 yrs ago,accurate little shooter with subs out to 70yds.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    I've been bowling hares at ~ 25m. But tbh I had ring issues and have only just fixed them up. So at this stage I couldn't answer honestly.
    Thanks. I think they could be a good option on lifestyle blocks etc. Certainly cheaper than buying an air rifle if you already have a 22LR.

Ammo package should show info about barrel length in order to achieve the max velocity. Believe should be 20”