Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: .22 Subs too loud, CCI Quiets sold out, what about .22 shorts?

I have found the CCI standards to be quieter than the CCI subs.... only says 20fps in it but the standards are certainly quieter in my 22

Name:  IMG_0785.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  2.88 MB

I have some cci suppressor 45gr to try as well.

Well, I brought 4 packets of .22 ammo to try out: Aus Winchester subsonic 22 LR, Eley subsonic 22LR, Remington Green subsonic, and a pkt of CCI rapid-fire pistol shorts.
    I had to buy them at the local H&F shop as my usual hunt shop had sold out.
    I asked the grissly salesman if he had any CCI CB Long or any .22 Long cartridges. The conversation went like this:

H&F Salesman: Yeah we have a full stack of .22 Longs didn't you see them?
    Me: I saw lots of .22 Long Rifle and that packet of Shorts but didn't see any Longs.
    H&F Salesman: (Sigh...) Come with me (he then shows me the cabinet with the .22 Long Rifle cartridges)
    Me: Those are .22 Long Rifle, I'm after Longs.
    H&F Salesman: There are no cartridges called 'Longs', only Shorts and Long Rifle.
    Me: Nah, there are Shots, Longs and Long Rifle.
    H&F Salesman: Look here, I've been working for Hunting and Fishing for 12 years and there are only Shorts and Long Rifle there is no such cartridge as a 'Long'!
    Me: Ok, ok...(it was 5pm and I couldn't be bothered educating him)...let me just pay for these four packets then I can call it a day.

This evening I will take them all out for a trial run for noise and accuracy. Should be interesting.
    zimmer, timattalon and Micky Duck like this.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Yip he is a knobhead
    I would've got the ammo to finish the purchase then showed him what a 22 long is on my phone.
    If I was exceptionally peeved I would've done it first.
    I certainly dont know everything (especially compared to a lot on this forum), but that sort of stuff annoys me.
    Ignorance because they dont stock it is shit

And that is why I avoid most gunshops even the better ones - they are staffed to know-it-alls who generally don't listen to what the customer is saying and don't consider that the guy who has just come in off the street may actually know his onions.
    Micky Duck likes this.

one of the worst Ive seen was .410 ammunition advertised as 1 1/16th oz that extra space makes HUGE diference...and when pointed out,they argued it WAS once and 1/16th I pointed out that amount of shot wont fit in a empty 410 case alone,let alone with powder and wad.
    now 11/16ths is a pretty standard load...just shy of 12/16ths 3/4oz just have to shake your head some days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I have found the CCI standards to be quieter than the CCI subs.... only says 20fps in it but the standards are certainly quieter in my 22

Attachment 160776
    It probably helps the CCI Standard is also made to a higher tolerance, so less likely to have shots that break the sound barrier.

I've had limited success with CCI STD for hunting purposes, even with a decent head shot on a possum I've had some awful experiences with them. Other occasions on rabbits or possums they've killed well.
    I now use Winchester subs for hunting and CCI STDs for targets both have the same point on aim/impact but the 42gr Win subs kill much much better.