Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: .22 vs .17

I thought Marlin doesn't do left-handers?

And yes Tussock, I got a cheap .22 (a Marlin by chance) that was right-handed. Had a terrible time with the gun not ejecting spent cartridges - thats another story.
    I found out quick-fast that right-handed just didn't work for me.

You may be correct on that.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

ebf
    Kumoe, the Marlin 795 is a semi, so it does not really matter that you shoot left handed. I'm a strong lefty too. The 795 is great for plinking and pest control.

If you shoot primarily off a bipod, it is actually faster for a left handed person to use a right-handed bolt rifle. If you shoot mostly offhand, then get a left-hand bolt.

If you are set on a lefty bolt, then the Savage Mark 2 is a good entry level option, or if you want something a bit nicer, the CZ 452 is very nice.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

You ll need a .17 for all the times when you want to shoot rabbits at 150 to 250 meters so just buy the 22 first then the .17
    Contrary to my partners belief you can never have too many firearms ...
    Master the 22 best gun to learn on by far.. then just watch when you buy a .17 you ll hardly use it so keep the 22 nice for when you sell it ...
    If the price of ammo scares you get more accurate. ..
    sneeze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    .22 Savage left handers should be cheap, plentiful and effective.
    There is a new savage 22, but Ive not seen it in LH and its $1050...like ouch........
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Kumoe, the Marlin 795 is a semi, so it does not really matter that you shoot left handed. I'm a strong lefty too. The 795 is great for plinking and pest control.

If you shoot primarily off a bipod, it is actually faster for a left handed person to use a right-handed bolt rifle. If you shoot mostly offhand, then get a left-hand bolt.

If you are set on a lefty bolt, then the Savage Mark 2 is a good entry level option, or if you want something a bit nicer, the CZ 452 is very nice.
    These are a good alternative for a leftie, I know of a couple of others doing this. They are very accurate for their price too.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Cost of ammo and lack of subsonic ammo puts the .17 out of the game for me. If you wanted more range than the .22 then get a .223, ammo is much the same price and not a hell of a lot of difference in noise also blows the .17 out of the water.

If you're willing to spend that much money on ammo and make that much noise shooting rabbits then you might as well get a .223.
    Last edited by Savage1; 19-04-2013 at 04:09 PM.

.17 no arguments. Why limit yourself.Sort like having an old brick cell fone.Wecome to the 21st Century.
    Happy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    .17 no arguments. Why limit yourself.
    Why limit yourself to 70% less shots for the same price? Or if you're spending that much on ammo why limit yourself to a wee rimfire, just use a 223 instead.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and Toby like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Why limit yourself to 70% less shots for the same price? Or if you're spending that much on ammo why limit yourself to a wee rimfire, just use a 223 instead.
    If you get to shoot a fair few then the 22lr is the way to go. Shooting the best part of 200 in a night would get pretty pricey with anything else.

Ejected
    Marlin 795 dude. Under $400 for a scope suppressed package. $69 for 500 rounds of subsonic cci and just blaze away all day long. Then when you ready for some long range sniping action put a few rabbits down with your 7mm.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Depends what you are shooting Umm not sure if I would shoot at starlings and myna birds nesting in my sheds with a 223 22 won't do the distance no way and 17 is the perfect round for it Hollow points humane kill don't come out the other side or cause problems . I have two 22s and two 223 s 1 .17 all different tools .17 three times the use of the others effortlessly Day you can't afford ammo can't be fun tho.

A .17 hollow point wont go through a starling? My .22 Airrifle when I was a kid put a hole through the bird and the corrugated iron behind it.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Try 17 hollow point all the energy goes into the bird bullet disintegrates no holes in the iron unless you miss if so fill hole with no more nails and try harder Hit a magpie on a post the bird just drops doesn't get blown backwards at all Ballistic tips now there's a different story they go right through everything

A starling is soft I thought something that fast would go through even if it did open up and disintegrate. Learn something this forum everyday.
    VIVA LA HOWA