Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: 22 wmr vs goats

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Hi There!
    I just posted on another thread about my experience with 22lr and 22 mag. I have lots of goats on the property so regularly undertake culls for them as well as rabbits. Whilst my 22 mag is more powerful I find that I simply cannot get it to group well over 50 meters. I have a Brno bolt action as well as a beautiful Winchester lever action. Despite having tried virtually all brands and configurations of ammo I cannot get reliable groups. On the other hand my older 10/22 shooting CCI sub sonics with a suppressor is deadly accurate out to 100 - 110 meters. 2 weeks ago I head shot a hare at 112 meters according to my brother who was spotting for me with the Leica rangefinder. When culling the goats I always use the 10/22 and am comfortable to shoot them out to 80 meters and they always drop straight down. I shot 2 this morning - 1 at 75m and the other at 62m. I love the 10/22 because I can nail 5 or 6 in a mob and they have no idea where the shots are coming from, and being suppressed you can imagine it is very quiet. The point I am making is that it is all very well having greater knock down and retained velocity. As SiB said, shot placement with small rimfire is absolutely critical.
    Have you tried the hornady 30gr v-max? This appears to be the most consistent 22mag ammo available and shoots MOA in my marlin. I haven’t found them hugely explosive on small game (unusual for a v max!) so they might hold together just enough to be effective on smaller goats with chest shots, but 40-50gr would be better
    mudgripz and Waldo Peens like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Mark and Sam on YT did a video on 22 magnum accuracy. He actually ended up tearing down factory ammunition and reloading it. Redoing the powder charges and putting a consistent crimp on the cartridge resulted in a velocity increase and much better extreme spread in velocity. The problem with 22 magnum seems to be that the consistency of the ammunition just isn't very good.

I'll be real interested to see how 17wsm goes on goats.
    Yeah saw that episode with the ruger rpr.
    And if I remember power charge had not much effect on velocity and as you mentioned the crimp was more effective for overall performance .
    Not that I will be going to that extreme to bowl over a few pesties .
    If I remember he also found adding a barrel sleeve improved the grouping which I thought was interesting , particularly as my new toy is sleeve barreled .
    born to hunt - forced to work

My Marlin 982SV heavy barrel in 22 mag is extremely accurate - better than me. Both gadgetman and I have shot 0.3" groups at 50m, and it easily popped 0.7" at 100mtrs. All with the Hornady 30gr V-Max.

Just watch the Hornady if using it. As have others, I found its also a dirty little round and I needed to really keep barrel copper cleaned to continue to get best of it.

In the review video for my toy the rifle didn't cycle the Hornady rounds. He concluded the semi just preferred heavier rounds to cycle correctly , which gives me doubts the subs will cycle reliably , or at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    My Marlin 982SV heavy barrel in 22 mag is extremely accurate - better than me. Both gadgetman and I have shot 0.3" groups at 50m, and it easily popped 0.7" at 100mtrs. All with the Hornady 30gr V-Max.

Just watch the Hornady if using it. As have others, I found its also a dirty little round and I needed to really keep barrel copper cleaned to continue to get best of it.
    I found my CZ didn't like the Hornady. Best I could get was around 3" @100

Anyone using the Remington 33gr stuff? It's been the most consistently accurate ammo I've tried through a few different rifles. Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    I found my CZ didn't like the Hornady. Best I could get was around 3" @100
    cz512 20" barrel should do 1 1/2 @100 with hornady 30g. however shot a goat at 115m on the forehead but bullet did not go through the bone. so aim for the neck works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by holdover View Post
    cz512 20" barrel should do 1 1/2 @100 with hornady 30g. however shot a goat at 115m on the forehead but bullet did not go through the bone. so aim for the neck works every time.
    CZ455.
    Looking to do a pillar bedding job on it in the next few weeks if time allows to see if I can tighten groups up a bit.

I have been seriously considering the 512, but all the reviews bring into question the poor trigger??

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
    Have you tried the hornady 30gr v-max? This appears to be the most consistent 22mag ammo available and shoots MOA in my marlin. I haven’t found them hugely explosive on small game (unusual for a v max!) so they might hold together just enough to be effective on smaller goats with chest shots, but 40-50gr would be better
    I agree with @7.62 with regards to 30gr V-Max ammo. My Ruger 77/22 shoot these sub MOA all day long if I do my part. They are also readily available, if a bit pricey. Used it on rabbit and similar results re "explosive" effect. Might give a good expansion/penetration ratio for head and neck shots on goat.
    The Truth shall make ye fret.

as mentioned in a different thread the owners manual for the volquartsen specifically mentions hornady critical defence ammo and NOT to use in this rifle.
    I almost bought a box before I read the manual but got the winchester instead thankfully.
    I wonder why that ammo type is mentioned as not to use...?
    It is specifically made for handguns but wouldn't have thought that would make any difference. Also appears to use nickle coated cases so had wondered if that was something to do with it...

Hi @Ftx325 Thanks for the info. I will have another play with the Winchester when I get the chance. It really is a beautiful weapon :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Hi @Ftx325 Thanks for the info. I will have another play with the Winchester when I get the chance. It really is a beautiful weapon :-)
    it was the winchester 34gr HE that was used in the vid I am going to try , but of course doesn't mean it will be accurate in your beauty .

I FINALLY got out for a few shots with the rolls royce (volquartsen) today.
    More of a function test than anything but was nice to finally hear it go bang .
    That said , started with subs for a quick scope sight in and had the pup with us to see how he would handle the noise , hence starting with subs , and as expected all the noise was from the action . It wouldn't cycle either but again to be expected . It still put 5 rounds into 1 ragged hole at 25 mtrs with a far from suitable rest .
    Then moved out to 50 mtrs with the winchester 34 gr HE rounds . Again a piss poor rest (hunched over a small chilly bin with a jersey on top to sit rifle forend on, (huckery I know) but best we could do in the situation .
    The group on the right is my boys .... The group on the left is mine . Both 5 shots .
    Pleased enough with my group under the circumstances . 4 into 1 hole with one flyer which could very well have been me....

Name:  IMG_20210320_165229.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  4.88 MB

Now just need some time at the range with a proper shooting table and rest to sight in properly.
    But I am a happy camper.

You have to be happy with that. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    I FINALLY got out for a few shots with the rolls royce (volquartsen) today.
    More of a function test than anything but was nice to finally hear it go bang .
    That said , started with subs for a quick scope sight in and had the pup with us to see how he would handle the noise , hence starting with subs , and as expected all the noise was from the action . It wouldn't cycle either but again to be expected . It still put 5 rounds into 1 ragged hole at 25 mtrs with a far from suitable rest .
    Then moved out to 50 mtrs with the winchester 34 gr HE rounds . Again a piss poor rest (hunched over a small chilly bin with a jersey on top to sit rifle forend on, (huckery I know) but best we could do in the situation .
    The group on the right is my boys .... The group on the left is mine . Both 5 shots .
    Pleased enough with my group under the circumstances . 4 into 1 hole with one flyer which could very well have been me....

Attachment 163190

Now just need some time at the range with a proper shooting table and rest to sight in properly.
    But I am a happy camper.
    and the pup??