Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 223 "crossover" thoughts and options

223 "crossover" thoughts and options

I have a problem - too many 223s. I have a heavy Rem 700 with a 1:8 twist light parma weight Keiger barrel. Shoots great but too heavy. I have a CZ 527 with 1:12 barrel, shoots great but only for 3 or so rounds, is very light and a delight to carry, but not so easy to shoot for those out there shots that need a very steady position.

I got a Sako 75 223 for a cobber, they are a good bit heavier than a CZ but less than a "varmint" barrel.

I reckon I need to replace both my current 223s with a "cross-over" configuration something like what Litggow has done with their LA101 22 and LA102 centrefires (yes they do a 223 but they are long action based).

Anybody running a 223 like this, are there any factory options out there?? Thoughts??

Caretaker
    Anything Tikka/Sako
    Shearer, Ross Nolan, XR500 and 1 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Not as flash as what you have but a Howa mini might be worth considering.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Firstly, its impossible to have too many 223's. But explain what you mean by "crossover" for me. Do you mean one rifle to do it all?
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I have a problem - too many 223s. I have a heavy Rem 700 with a 1:8 twist light parma weight Keiger barrel. Shoots great but too heavy. I have a CZ 527 with 1:12 barrel, shoots great but only for 3 or so rounds, is very light and a delight to carry, but not so easy to shoot for those out there shots that need a very steady position.

I got a Sako 75 223 for a cobber, they are a good bit heavier than a CZ but less than a "varmint" barrel.

I reckon I need to replace both my current 223s with a "cross-over" configuration something like what Litggow has done with their LA101 22 and LA102 centrefires (yes they do a 223 but they are long action based).

Anybody running a 223 like this, are there any factory options out there?? Thoughts??
    I have a mate that has one and like the .22s it is extremely accurate and well made. If they did a lefty I would sell
    My tikkas and buy one in 223 and 308. Awesome but if
    Kit and you can get aftermarket mags (lucky 13s)

To me "cross-over" is about half way between a sporter weight and a varmint weight barrel . . . I'd be thinking about 8.5 lbs with a decent forward balance

To me "cross-over" is about half way between a sporter weight and a varmint weight barrel . . . I'd be thinking about 8.5 lbs with a decent forward balance
    The goldilocks theory not too heavy not too light.....just right
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Ryan_Songhurst and Mathias like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Tikka 8twist and run pills from 65 to 69 and you are in the money. First lot come from USA and second lot come from Matakohe. My mate runs an X bolt which I load with 55gr TSX. He slaughters deer. Another mate runs an 8 T3 which I load 55gr Hornady. He head and neck shoots all his deer. Some lies some truths. A tight twist puts you into different territory. Running up 100 55gr GMK for a mate to run in his Tikka. No pleasing everybody. LOL. Powder is BM2. No lies there.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Beautiful @Tahr but too light. I want to run up to 80 gn boolits but not for hunting . . . .

Really would be hard to go past the tikka for your intended use mate

8.5lb is pretty damn lightweight depending on what scope you go for.

A Tikka CTR is what I'd think of as a perfect crossover rifle, 20" light palma-ish profile. If you were to go a custom build a Bartlein 3b profile is probably what you want.

I've found a 10-12lb rifle to be the goldilocks zone of heavier enough to shoot nicely but still not too bad to carry.
    A good 2 point sling helps immensely with carryability.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    8.5lb is pretty damn lightweight depending on what scope you go for.

A Tikka CTR is what I'd think of as a perfect crossover rifle, 20" light palma-ish profile. If you were to go a custom build a Bartlein 3b profile is probably what you want.

I've found a 10-12lb rifle to be the goldilocks zone of heavier enough to shoot nicely but still not too bad to carry.
    A good 2 point sling helps immensely with carryability.
    Yeah 8.5 lbs plus scope! I've just built a 6.5-284 with an all up weight of 10.5 lbs and its fantastic to shoot and carries nicely. A 223 in the same league or just a tad lighter would be fine - the current fetish for lightweight just doesn't do it for me, give me balance and pointability every time (except in a take-down packable rifle).
    Micky Duck likes this.

Sounds like you need a carbonlite bro
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

That Sako 75 you mentioned initially sounds like a good option to me.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.