Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 223 mag box length

Can't send the link, but what it was is ---

You cut the plastic back spacer out, install a piece of box section aluminum, bought from Mitre10 fits perfectly - fix in place, with small screws, threw the side of mag.

The spring & platform, can be pushed down and gently levered out, from the top. The bottom of the magazine unclips carefully. Then you are ready to cut the plastic spacer out & install the aluminum section, setting the length you require. Simply clip bottom back in & install spring set again. I increase the ride plate size so as it cradled the length of the 223 case, otherwise there is a gap at the back, which catches the back of the case a bit. JBs Weld is amazing stuff for moulding and sticking things, also have use it to bed actions, glue in pillar beds, all sorts.

I did this some years ago and it worked well, don't own the Tikka light 223 anymore, so some food for thought for those who don't mind tinkering, I did it to a 5 shot mag that was behaving badly as explained in above post.

Still trying to think this through, handled a x-bolt today and it was very nice, has the fast twist barrel. If I'm going to something like a 243 or bigger I may as well be using my 308 or sell it and get a smaller deer rifle that can do both. My thinking was a 223 suppressed would be a fair amount quiter than a suppressed 243, 22-250,308 etc or does it not make that much difference.

I don't know if it's just me but I feel a bit odd when people ask me what I'm shooting rabbits with and I say a .243, most people are expecting a 22 and think I'm nuts shooting rabbits with a centerfire. Up here any way, varmint shootings not a big thing up here.

Agree, see what you are saying!
    Used to see, way back "Yanks" using hugh centerfires, to shoot prairie dogs.
    I'm also from the north island - 308 was more than adequate for any hunt, and I don't really like recoil.
    Came down to the mainland to live, bugger me small teenagers were using 300 win mags, at the rifle range. I assumed I must be just be a pussy.
    Having hunted down here I can see why the magnums have there place, hugh open country and long shots often required.
    Having ranged between 308 and 223 to be my main hunting rifle, they each have there place, so have kept both and enjoy them for what they are, reloading to achieve the best of both.
    Owned many rimfires (bunny shooting) of late have become disillusioned with the quality of ammo/accuracy and so decision was made to reload the, 223 cheap/cheerful ability to shoot at the rifle range and at rabbits, accuracy is key, the bonus is increased range, downside bunnies not so eatable / only take the back bits anyway.
    Guess what I'm trying to say is, shoot what you enjoy shooting, with the confidence to get the job done.

The Australian Waters Rifleman mags for T3 allow longer seating without having to go to chassis or change bottom metal. Another option.
    Dave Waters a pleasure to buy from...

Quote Originally Posted by rusl View Post
    Still trying to think this through, handled a x-bolt today and it was very nice, has the fast twist barrel. If I'm going to something like a 243 or bigger I may as well be using my 308 or sell it and get a smaller deer rifle that can do both. My thinking was a 223 suppressed would be a fair amount quiter than a suppressed 243, 22-250,308 etc or does it not make that much difference.

I don't know if it's just me but I feel a bit odd when people ask me what I'm shooting rabbits with and I say a .243, most people are expecting a 22 and think I'm nuts shooting rabbits with a centerfire. Up here any way, varmint shootings not a big thing up here.
    theres a difference between 223 and 243 suppressed sound wise in favor of the 223, but its not a lot