Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 223 projectiles

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Wouldn't the point of impact change with different bullets? That's why I hoping to find a good all rounder. One load for everything scenario.
    You make a good point, that said, if I had my rifle sighted in at 100 m for Hornady 55gn SP, and knew that Barnes TTSX 50gn hit say 1 inch higher at the same distance, that's a difference I could easily live with.

It would be worth it to carry a handful in case bambi showed up.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

my .223 pokes everything to within an inch of point of aim......50-55grn it doesnt matter they all group the same. my .270 is better still.I did experiment on range over a bench...10 different rounds from 110-160 grns in weight both factory and reloads...100 mtr group was covered by a playing card...no good at 350 yards but at bush ranges it matters not a hoot.
    Max Headroom likes this.

why are 50 grn ttsx the ducks nuts???????
    140ish lb boar...in just behind crease on one side,broke off side shoulder and came to rest under shield ...lungs were toast and he very sick pig when I d walked the 150ish yards up to finish it off.
    100ish lb sow shot in spotlight...thought it was 50 lb at 100 yards...nope double both....through n through in ribs,she went 20ish yards.
    big red hind in bush at 30-40 yards...chest shot...bang flop.
    son shot red spiker too far away...going by expansion of recovered projectile it 250ish yards,eg down to 1200ish fps...it was very sick animal when he got to it and finished it off.

the terminal preformance is SIMILAR to a far bigger round using normal cup n core loads

except damage is in reverse order...with small fast ttsx the nearside shoulder takes the damage,internals have golfball sized hole and a small exit hole VS small inhole,golfball sized internals and wrecked offside shoulder.
    they just work.
    Ive head shot 4 sheep and finished off a deer with the 55grn hornadies and preformance is outstanding BUT I would back the ttsx to out penertrate any other .223 load be quite a margain as they dont shed any weight.

[QUOTE=Chur Bay;950398]Wouldn't the point of impact change with different bullets? That's why I hoping to find a good all rounder. One load for everything scenario.[/QUO

I use the Aussie Buffalo 223 ammo that is loaded with the Sierra Game Kings. I've only used it on goats so far and have noticed how little damage it does to the meat (drops them fine though). Even shaggy old billies goes straight through the shoulder and out the other side. Nails the organs fine but I can pretty much take meat up to both bullet holes. Which makes me think it's a hard-ish bullet that would work even better on deer, esp fallow.

As for using different ammo..... The 55gr bullets are sighted in to be 1" high at 100m. The Federal 64gr ammo shoots dead on at 100m, super handy if needed

Who is this Bill @ Rusa we keep hearing about? Im in the market for some 55 Noslers.

Another vote for the cheap Hornady 55gr SP. Have a very high proportion of one-shot knockdowns on goats.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Who is this Bill @ Rusa we keep hearing about? Im in the market for some 55 Noslers.
    PM me if you're interested in his details.
    Husky1600 likes this.

another vote for the Sierra Game Kings. I have loaded some for my son in his 223 bolt gun.
    Tells me they are way more accurate than the 55gr cheap stuff he is using up that was left over after the governments theft of his AR.
    Z

Another vote for 50g ttsx as a deer load. I am changing from the 62g projectile to the 50g one to keep the velocity up.