Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: 223 Scope

I found a new Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10x40 in on my Howa mini, Really pleased with it

I've got a Burris AR556 4.5-14 on my Encore.

Pretty damn good out to 400-500 for 55gr, if you use a TBR rangefinder set in yards.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Got an Arkin Optics 4-14 sf4 ffp on my 223 which Im really happy with and a US Optics SFO 3-12 FFP on my 6x45 which is also great.

Iv got the 3-9x40 mark AR on my howa mini
    its got mill dots and the dials calibrated for 55gr at 3150 from memory

they pop up super cheap from time to time now that the gummint took all the ar15s

certianly not my favorite scope (thats defintly the VXR 2-7 currently which is defintily a close range scope)
    Micky Duck likes this.

Considering the size of the game typically being shot with a 223 I'd tend towards higher magnification, stick to 1inch tubes and 40ish mm objectives and the weight penalty isn't that much.

I have a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with the ballistic reticle on mine. Awesome for low light and general hunting, and good with the quick holdover lines for stretching out.

For reference mines a 16inch tikka 12twist shooting 55gr sierras and 52 ballistics

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    [QUOTE=rossi.45;1273884]
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    2-10 Leupold

Dialling on Rabbits out to 850 yrds with 60g Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3100 fps

Legand mate . . . i've spotted rabbits out passed 800yrds with 10X binos and shot at them . . . but lookin thru a 8-32 Nightforce.
    next time I'm up the hill with my Quad with a 3.5-10 mk4 on top i will check it out
    He didnt say he hit any tho

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Trout, 6x47, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

I looked at one of these in the weekend lovely little scope for your needs

https://www.optics-trade.eu/au/vixen...12x40-bdc.html
    Basenjiboy likes this.

[QUOTE=Mathias;1274072]
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    He didnt say he hit any tho

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    yeah i hear ya @Mathias thought the same thing . . but i still take my hat off to him even if he didnt connect because he tried.

i dont know what kind of ground he shoots over, if its dry like where i shoot you see the bullets kick up dust, not sure what he would see thru a 10X and 60 grain bullets.
    when i was chasing distance i was shooting out past 900 yards, you'd see the bullet land ( 25X ) just over its back, just beside them . . so close, enough to keep coming back and having a few shots during every walk on the hill.
    Never did make 900 but i gave it a good go untill my .243 barrel gave out . . 800 was my longest rabbit hit, 1000 on steel.
    Last edited by rossi.45; 27-01-2022 at 04:33 PM.
    Micky Duck and Mathias like this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Banned
    [QUOTE=rossi.45;1274089]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post

yeah i hear ya @Mathias thought the same thing . . but i still take my hat off to him even if he didnt connect because he tried.

i dont know what kind of ground he shoots over, if its dry like where i shoot you see the bullets kick up dust, not sure what he would see thru a 10X and 60 grain bullets.
    when i was chasing distance i was shooting out past 900 yards, you'd see the bullet land ( 25X ) just over its back, just beside them . . so close, enough to keep coming back and having a few shots during every walk on the hill.
    Never did make 900 but i gave it a good go untill my .243 barrel gave out . . 800 was my longest rabbit hit, 1000 on steel.
    I repeat my offer for you to borrow the 2506 AI ...
    rossi.45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Made a stock for it out of palonwina. Half the weight of the walnut one.
    Hi Brian,

Did you laminate up the stock or just go with a solid piece. I have used Paulownia for building surfboards, out-rigger canoes and kite boards. Great light weight timber but pretty soft so assume its getting dinged up? I have always encased my projects in fiberglass and epoxy

Cheers Shane

No I just used a solid piece. Gave it several coats of hard varnish inside and out.. We'll see how it goes.
    If I wanted to sell the rifle theres 2 nice walnut ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    No I just used a solid piece. Gave it several coats of hard varnish inside and out.. We'll see how it goes.
    If I wanted to sell the rifle theres 2 nice walnut ones.
    Hi Brian, do you have any pics of the stock, be cool to see how it turned out. i have a couple of planks in storage which might make it into a stock one day. i did donate some to Micky Duck but he hasnt posted any pics yet.

sorry about the thread Hijack Tentman

Its a l h thumbhole because I injured my right eye. I can shoot better groups with it than the original sako one.
    The stuff is so light you can leave a bit of bulk on it for strength.
    Tahr, Trout, Mooseman and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
    Hi Brian, do you have any pics of the stock, be cool to see how it turned out. i have a couple of planks in storage which might make it into a stock one day. i did donate some to Micky Duck but he hasnt posted any pics yet.

sorry about the thread Hijack Tentman
    thats because my one is crude by comparison......LOL.
    RUMPY likes this.