Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

22lr/17hmr suppressor thread pitch

Hi all,
    Sorry for another suppressor thread.

I'm going to buy a DPT 22mag suppressor to use on both my 17hmr and my 22 using subs, like that it can be shortened to suit each rifle at that it's so dam light weight!

I see it's available in two different thread pitches, 1/2-20tpi or 1/2-28 tpi, I want what ever is the most common as if I buy a threaded rifle in the future it'd be nice for it to fit.
    It would appear that 20tpi is the european standard whereas 28tpi is the American standard? Is that strictly true?
    I read some mention that 28tpi could be better as the threads are not as deep so will leave a stiffer barrel, but that probably doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

What thread pitch are most folk running on their rimfires and what is the most common among factory rifles?

Thanks

Most rimfire here are 1/2"-20tpi. The stiffness wouldn't really affect anything at that end of the barrel, particularly with a rimfire.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I think the 1/2x20 is the Brit std thread for 22 rimfires ? , ie Parker Hale cans , and the 1/2x28 is std for AR15 rifles , I would not thnk it would matter too much which you picked ?

Cheers.
    I know it probably will make no difference to the rifle, but I'd kick myself if I just rushed in and brought one with a random thread that would never fit any other rimfire I brought.

Looks like it'll be 20tpi then, as I have no intention of putting an AR can on a rimfire.

Thanks