Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 22lr Barrel Chopping Question.

Question 22lr Barrel Chopping Question.

Hi all. I'm thinking of chopping my CZ455 down to around 14" to make it handier with subs and my DPT suppressor on it. I know a few of you have done this or something similar and reported good results in other threads on the forums, but I have a question I haven't seen answered anywhere else:

Did chopping your barrel change your rifle's favourite ammo? I have a couple of bricks of the 42g Winchester subs that shoot really well in the rifle as it currently is, and I'm hoping shortening the barrel won't change its preferred ammo and make those two bricks useless to me... I would also prefer to avoid all the faff of having to buy and try a bunch of different ammo all over again...

Any thoughts or experiences from those who've gone this route? Thanks.

While it could, I didnt find any change shortening mine
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Na It will hate that ammo give it to me (sarcasm warning)
    Of the rifles I've done they still seemed to like the same ammo they liked before. I haven't done any flash rifles tho just stuff like jw15s and older stuff.

AR7
    Hi some 22 lr,s shoot better with a shorter barrel ie stiffer , less wag
    most ammo will fly slower but @ certain lengths they even fly faster than when shot via a long barrel
    From what ive read and tested even 12 inches [300mm ] is long enough .to get these little critters down the line
    Care is needed to recrown and thread the shortened barrel to get the best results ..
    Cheers to All

Quote Originally Posted by p0stal b0b View Post
    Hi all. I'm thinking of chopping my CZ455 down to around 14" to make it handier with subs and my DPT suppressor on it. I know a few of you have done this or something similar and reported good results in other threads on the forums, but I have a question I haven't seen answered anywhere else:

Did chopping your barrel change your rifle's favourite ammo? I have a couple of bricks of the 42g Winchester subs that shoot really well in the rifle as it currently is, and I'm hoping shortening the barrel won't change its preferred ammo and make those two bricks useless to me... I would also prefer to avoid all the faff of having to buy and try a bunch of different ammo all over again...

If it shoots crap I will buy the ammo off you,my short barrel 10/22 loves it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

The Win subs are popular so if the chop didn't agree with your rifle you'd be able sell them easily.

And on the 455 you can always buy a longer barrel again if you wanted too. Thanks to the barrel attachment design !

MB
    Got my CZ 452 chopped down to 15 inches. Wish I'd gone 14 inches. DPT did the work and accuracy actually improved. Hardy do a very slick (and expensive) rimfire over-barrel suppressor. Probably the purchase that I can least justify, but I like it! The rifle always liked CCI Subsonic.

Chop it short and be happy, all bar 2 of my .22s have been chopped short and they have all either kept the same accuracy or improved in accuracy and the improvements in weight and handling are huge.
    mudgripz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by p0stal b0b View Post

I'll swap you for my JW15. You can chop that one up gladly...
    Micky Duck likes this.

The crown seems to bw the difference in my experience with 22s. Make sure the crowns done nicely and you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Name:  IMG_20210822_105634.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  3.82 MB
    outlander likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Thanks everyone, all the answers seem pretty positive. And rest assured, if it suddenly starts hating the Winnies, I'll chuck them up in the trading post...
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Ah, the non recessed, non 11 degrees target crown, finished with a bastard file?
    Mintie and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Ah, the non recessed, non 11 degrees target crown, finished with a bastard file?
    Binned the whole project when the off center bore reared its ugly head.Later modle shit jw15
    zimmer and outlander like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out