Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By outdoorlad
  • 2 Post By techno retard
  • 2 Post By No good names left
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By EmpireSafaris
  • 5 Post By retrolux
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Flying with firearms & ammo tomorrow - advice please

Flying with firearms & ammo tomorrow - advice please

Hi All,

New to the forum and also a new licence holder. I am flying from Auckland to Christchurch tomorrow with 3 rifles and ammo. I've read the requirements and have called AirNZ to advise them of my plans so no issue there. I have a 3 bag allowance so 2 rifles will be in the first gun case, a second gun case will have the 3rd rifle, and my ammo & bolts will be in the 3rd bag.

I have a steel ammo box that I was going to use to transport my ammo inside my bag, but am aware that the ammo box itself weighs 2.7kgs. My question is whether some bureaucrat will decide that this 2.7kgs will count towards the total ammo weight.
    I plan to carry just under 5kg of ammo in the original cardboard packaging, but was going to place it all inside the ammo box - inside my bag - to ensure it doesn't all move around too much.

Has anyone done this before with no issue? or am I better to just put the ammo and original packaging into something like a plastic kitchen container and save myself the hassle of them potentially seizing it for being over the 5kg allowance due to the weight of the ammo box? I had originally planned to lock the ammo box but sounds like that is also problematic if they decide they want to open and inspect/weigh it.

Keen for advice - can/should I use the ammo box and if so, should I lock it?

You will be fine, just don’t forget your FAL
    Micky Duck and EmpireSafaris like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by retrolux View Post
    Hi All,

New to the forum and also a new licence holder. I am flying from Auckland to Christchurch tomorrow with 3 rifles and ammo. I've read the requirements and have called AirNZ to advise them of my plans so no issue there. I have a 3 bag allowance so 2 rifles will be in the first gun case, a second gun case will have the 3rd rifle, and my ammo & bolts will be in the 3rd bag.

I have a steel ammo box that I was going to use to transport my ammo inside my bag, but am aware that the ammo box itself weighs 2.7kgs. My question is whether some bureaucrat will decide that this 2.7kgs will count towards the total ammo weight.
    I plan to carry just under 5kg of ammo in the original cardboard packaging, but was going to place it all inside the ammo box - inside my bag - to ensure it doesn't all move around too much.

Has anyone done this before with no issue? or am I better to just put the ammo and original packaging into something like a plastic kitchen container and save myself the hassle of them potentially seizing it for being over the 5kg allowance due to the weight of the ammo box? I had originally planned to lock the ammo box but sounds like that is also problematic if they decide they want to open and inspect/weigh it.

Keen for advice - can/should I use the ammo box and if so, should I lock it?
    Ammo in original packaging will be fine. Just make sure it is in your check in baggage. Not your carry on.
    Sika stag and Micky Duck like this.

Make sure there's no loose rounds or spent shells in your carry on bag. Check all pockets and inside the linings, If found it'll get blown out of proportion and you'll get delayed.
    Micky Duck and techno retard like this.

go early.... go to checkin and find the old duck who knows her shit...she will sort you in no time at all.... have your options covered.... if the lockable case no good,have your other option ready and ability to leave steel lockable one with someone to take back home for you.
    you will be fine.you have done the right things by ringing and asking.... ideally you could have taken name of person you spoke to... so can quote them....
    let us know how you get on PLEASE. enjoy the flight.
    veryfuturistic likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Been doing it for over 20 years, just tell ANZ staff member you have less than 5kg ammo, don’t over think it.
    “I don’t care a damn about these people who can split a pea at three hundred yards. What I want to know about is how good he is on a charging buffalo at six feet."

Philip Percival

Thanks everyone, I had a pretty easy experience. I did have a box of loose .22LR ammo that they would not accept at check-in. This is how it was sold but it cannot be carried on a plane like that so I just surrendered it to AvSec. My remaining .22 and 6.5 Creedmoor ammo was boxed appropriately so they allowed that through, and there were no issues with the 3 firearms themselves.

The reason for the trip is that these firearms belonged to my boss at work, who recently resigned to take a new job in Australia. He decided it was too onerous a task to get his aussie licence and export his firearms, so we did a deal for him to sell them to me. So yesterday I flew to Auckland to uplift his firearms and ammo (plus a number of accessories), and then I flew it all home to Christchurch. I know there are cheaper ways it could have been done, but oh well...

So I am now the proud owner of a Mossberg Patriot 6.5 Creedmoor, a Ruger Precision .22, and a lesser known Marlin XT-22 (22LR). All three have scopes and I have a number of other accessories - bi-pods, cleaning & oiling kits, targets, hard & soft carry cases etc.

As I mentioned in my original post, I am a new licence holder but am lucky that my best friend of 43 years has had his licence since he was 16, and 3 or 4 others in our friend circle are also licensed, so I will have plenty of support and guidance as I learn to use everything I've just bought. All I need now is a shotgun and I'll have a complete set for any occasion....

shotgun......there was/is a good solid reliable pump forsale here in Geraldine (short car trip Vs flights) @Noswal think it is who listed it along with 10/22 and .270 its in the buy sell a few weeks back
    Noswal likes this.

will see if I can find it to bump up the list
    Noswal likes this.