Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By imaca
  • 3 Post By imaca

Thread: Flying with firearms (domestic)

Flying with firearms (domestic)

Heading south in the next couple of weeks and taking a couple of firearms with me
    I’ve flown with firearms before but not since 2010 so alot has changed since then

I’ve read the information on the airline website (air nz)
    Seems nothing has changed
    Locked hard case and firearms made inoperable
    Ammo separate (not taking any so that’s easy)
    And must inform them of your intention to travel with firearms (already done)

So I think im sorted but is there anything else i have overlooked or need to be aware of

bolt out of gun regardless of action type, if your gun doesnt have a bolt tick the box yes saying that you have removed the bolt

It doesn’t have a bolt but only takes seconds to knock the pin out and remove ether the hammer or breach block
    So ill do that anyway just to be safe

I have travelled back and forward between auckland and nelson alot with firearms lately, no dramas. as you said above, firearm in locked hard case, bolt/mag/ammo in seperate checked bag (not carry on) and call to inform them your taking a firearm. when you arrive at the airport have to check in at the desk cant do it at one of the self check in stands, show them your FAL they put a special tag on your rifle case and then you have to drop it at the special/oversize bag drop & your away. pretty straight forward considering how hard they have made it to post firearms these days, couple of times now upon collection at other end i have been handed my rifle without them even checking my airline ticket or FAL.

Make sure you pre-book an extra bag prior to turning up at the airport otherwise you will get gouged at the counter

Notes on travelling last year.
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....zealand-84744/

The “notify before you travel” process was a bit circular but commonsense prevailed.

Overall, the new formalised process was easier to work with than in the past. I think they are trying to standardise it around the country to avoid local interpretations.

If it's a lever I would make sure it has a trigger lock on it as I think they ran the xray over my case leaving Queenstown in May 2019.
    Yes they get hung up on the bolt being removed and some don't know enough to understand that you can't do that simply with a lever gun.
    Z

Nah all good
    I can remove the breach block from the rifle it’s a 2minute job
    And the other rifle is in bits anyway and will require tools and knowledge to get it functional including how to make a fireing pin lol

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Nah all good
    I can remove the breach block from the rifle it’s a 2minute job
    And the other rifle is in bits anyway and will require tools and knowledge to get it functional including how to make a fireing pin lol
    Ahhh I see where you are going wrong, you are applying logic and reason. Some idiot will demand that the bolt is removed regardless of the fact that there is no bolt, the firing pin doesn't exist and the trigger was sent ahead the day before!