Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: .22lr rifles when did it become ok that they were all just crap?

I just picked up a brand new 10/22 for $295 from a dealer. Blued/ synthetic, it's accurate enough for me. Yes the trigger is 5.5lb out of the box, but a $35US volquartsen hammer will cure that and it will still be a bargain.

Suppose it's what "you" like, I brought a cz22 off @Proudkiwi and it's very accurate. Only every had a 10/22 before that and the two can't be compared in anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    Been looking for a new .22lr preferably a semi.
    Happy to pay a bit of coin but not extreme amounts.

But when did it become ok that all of the general models on the market were just rubbish?
    Ruger 10/22 - Rubbish trigger as per normal, sloppy fit and finish. Shouldn't be as expensive as they are if you want something more than plastic blue.
    CZ 512 - Absolutely horrible and worse than the 10/22 foreend rattled when shook creepy heavy trigger (the 10/22 was better) an that magazine is awful. WTF CZ! Absolutely huge disappointment for a ~$800 .22lr (and i''d be happy paying more for a .22lr).
    Marlin's all look, feel and function like cheap rubbish, I know their reputation for accuracy but I don't care - another pile of crap.
    CZ's bolt actions don't deserve the praise they get fit and finish is average, wood is crap quality and are over priced in my opinion for what they are.
    Other bolt actions are barely worth mentioning, savage may as well use sand for lubricant feels the same, ditto marlin bolts.

I am not prepared to pay the asking price for what amounts to rubbish standards and quality just because the rifles are .22lr and not a centerfire.

The worse thing is I was hopeful reading reviews online about several models and the reviewers say they are good, I say the are dropping their standards to accept rubbish because it is a rimfire and not a centerfire. I use my .22lr more than any other rifle, I expect the same performance, finish, and standard of fit that I expect out of my centerfires.

Are there options for someone that actually gives a shit about .22lr quality? Most of all I want value for my dollar which I don't see in the $1200+ .22lr bolt actions and certainly not for the absolute crap below that price point. I liked the feel of the Sako Finnfire but seriously it is not a $1800 rifle, upgrade an average action with a nice stock and better finish doesn't amount to charging twice as much as your competition.
    Maybe I am picky but you should be I think.
    If you can be a bit more specific about the uses you wish put the rifle to, and the accuracy you expect to achieve, then we can come up with some likely candidates. Quality fit and finish comes at a price, compounded by the fact that the manufacturer, the shipper, the wholesaler, the Government (GST), and the retailer all expect to make a profit.

Will be used as a general hunter rifle, spotlighting for rabbits, cats, and possums. Also used to control mynas to stop them destroying nests of other birds sometimes at extended distances.
    Must be accurate and reliable, and the trigger must be clean, crisp. Two stage trigger is fine. Even heavy is fine but creep is unacceptable.
    Understand quality comes at a price, but I am not prepared to pay double for what amounts to be tiny steps above the competition.

Why buy new? All the best 22s I've owned have been hi qual second hand. Currently have an early model 1450 Anshutz made in the early 60s with the match action, perfect. Early browning, unique, Krico etc just find a good one
    Kscott, gadgetman, Yukon and 1 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    The most accurate 22 I owned isn't my current cz 452A made in 2003 though I cannot complain about it, but a Marlin model 39a I had and wished I still do, though neither are semis a couple of 10rd mags for the CZ helps and the marlin lever gun took, 15-17 or so does this sound right? maybe even 19 , was a high number anyways.
    The only thing about the Marlin was the time it took to reload the tube.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Not restricted to buying new, have been looking around for second hand. Was more a comment on the current line up.

I'd own a sako quad any day. If I could afford it.

You must be overly fussy
    Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I'd own a sako quad any day. If I could afford it.

You must be overly fussy
    It's the guys money he can be as fussy as he likes
    Gibo and res like this.

I agree with you, both of my .22s are Brnos older than 25 years, back when their quality was top notch, my model 2E doubles as my F class rifle and will put 10 rounds through 1 ragged hole at 50m. Even with this though my 1948 model 1 feels in a different league craftmanship wise, its nowhere near as accurate though!
    The new CZs are still good, the actions slick up really quickly and you can choose a better wood grade but the older ones are where it is at!
    But I do agree with you, most modern .22s are a heap of shit!
    Yukon likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Best .22 I owned was a Brno mod2 1974, bought it off an old guy in Sandwich Rd Hamilhole, still pisses me off they I sold it. Only rule in buying a .22 apart from reliability is you can't outshoot itI have a norinco and it's just bloody hopeless for accuracy
    mikee likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

My 'new' Brno is delightful, makes my Marlin 795ss feel nasty and cheap. See how it shoots tomorrow and there could be be a marlin up for sale.

I'd recommend a CZ99 from Zastava if you are on a budget and a Ruger 77/22 if you are not.
    Dougie likes this.

I would love a BRNO 581, people are reluctant to sell them though, I wonder why haha.
    Wouldn't mind a Izhmash Biathlon sporting rifle. Talon Arms were selling them for a while I think but like many of the more obscure models they seem to have dried up. Would happily have a Norinco Em322, ugly but good quality.
    Ruger 77/22 I would have second hand but wouldn't pay close to the asking price new they do not deserve that price tag.
    Last edited by Makros; 10-01-2015 at 11:49 PM.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    I would love a BRNO 581, people are reluctant to sell them though, I wonder why haha....
    I have a near mint BRNO 581 made in 1959, and yes I'm keeping it. Shoots under .5" at 50m.